What did you wish you knew before moving to Taipei?

the one I use is called “55688 Taiwan Taxi”.
I’ve been using them for many years and very happy
there is also yoxi and Line Taxi, but I haven’t used them.

1 Like

Thanks!

I suppose it’s my American/international bias that I like how Uber works the same here as back home and in other countries, bills to my US credit card with no fuss, can be done entirely in English without me having to give directions to the driver, etc., and (for me) is usually a bit cheaper than taxis, especially with the 10% discount. If I encountered surge pricing as often as you apparently do I would have to use something else, though.

Homes do not have clothes dryers and are even hard to find at stores.

3 Likes

Agreed, but only if you’re big on cooking. I used to work at a restaurant supply company in the US, so I was spoiled with all sorts of freebies that were super high quality. I brought two forks, spoons, and knives the first time I came here, figuring any other kitchen supplies would be available, even if not up to par with the supplies I left in the US. Boy was I wrong. I think the first time I went back to the US after I knew I’d be here longer term, a third of my suitcase on return was higher quality cooking supplies and a lot of spices. But I don’t actually have/need that much – I got a Lodge skillet 2-pack from Costco here for only a little more than what it would have cost from a store in the US (probably the same price when considering US sales tax). I made due without a pancake flipping spatula for years before I bought a very nice one last summer. Game changer, but only when making pancakes (I found that a wide flat wood thing works fine for most other things). I think for me, it’s a matter of not being able to just pop over to anywhere and pick things up that I need for cheap, more than “suffering” without them. S/S measuring spoons and cups, a high-heat tolerance rubber spatula, a nylon pancake flipping spatula, a potato masher (mine folds flat, it’s brilliant), and for some reason people keep saying can openers are all going to be only available for an insane mark-up here or they will be absolute trash. Hit up TJX before coming if you think you’ll need those. Basic knives, cutlery, plates/bowls, cutting boards, colanders, etc. are all easy enough to find for reasonable prices.
Oh, and dish/tea towels aren’t really a thing here. They don’t really sell the ones that aren’t fuzzy but still soak up water on your dishes except at designer prices (though IKEA sells something)

1 Like

Idk what you guys are on about. OP says he’s from the Netherlands, not the US. He also says he’s been living in Shanghai for years so all the issues about cost of living wouldn’t be a problem at all.

The only advice I have is that he should watch his head inside any building given that many Dutch men are easily taller than 6’3 and many door frames and ceilings in Taiwan are very low.

I’d say a lot of what’s been said is relevant to anyone from the West. I don’t have life in Europe experience to draw from, so I can only compare US to Taiwan, but I imagine anyone coming from Western Europe is going to have similar needs/ a desire to know these things as someone coming from the US.

Wait, what?! I missed that. Rather useful context! OK, Shanghai for years, so weather in Taipei isn’t going to be all that different. And they’re not going to be stocking up on stuff in the west before coming here.

Yes - how much does the OP care about cooking? Decent chef’s knife, Dutch oven, salad spinner, muffin baking trays, knife sharpener … those are all things I’ve ordered from Amazon over the years, although these days a lot of this is available at Bed Bath and Beyond. Lodge cast-iron skillets were hard to get around ten years ago, although now they show up reasonably often.

But when I first arrived I had no interest in cooking anyway.

I’m trying to remember revelations from shortly after I first arrived … it took me way too long to get to a rechao place. Almost definitely my favorite style of local food here.

I think people who first live in Taipei need to make sure they get out of Taipei in a hurry and explore other parts of the island. It’s easy to get stuck in your ways here.

4 Likes

His post history.

He didn’t say where he was coming from that I could see. That was part of the problem. Since they didn’t specify, people responded based on where they came from.

1 Like

Both of my places have had them, and they aren’t hard to find. (I’ve been shopping for a new one recently— plenty of options, both gas and electric, of varying sizes and costs.)

1 Like

Taiwan smells horrible for the first year. Public bathrooms are like when you go to that one ghetto gas station. Sometimes there is no soap or toliet paper either. Definitely no paper towels or air dryers 99.9% of the time.

Random people will talk to you and stare. Even when you’re having a bad day and want to be left alone.

Washing machine suck.

Depending on your apartment you might not have a heater for the winter.

People spit betel nut on the ground even during times where masks are suppose to be on. :slight_smile:

You aren’t suppose to drink tap water so you will either waste money on filters or bottled water.

Bedsheet sizes are confusing and even though I’ve bought 73737 because my rabbits I still don’t understand them.

It’s cheaper to eat out than cook. If you buy fresh fruits and veggies they will mold quickly. Even potatoes :’( oh and clothes and backpacks etc get mold too!

Sometimes apartment hot water heaters are gallon limited so lol if you want a warm shower it will last 2 minutes.

You will see cockroaches no matter how clean your apartment is. You’ll also see mice on the streets.

Electronics are stupid expensive so get them before you leave.

If you don’t have a doorman and work you will almost never receive your packages unless you go in person.

People lie here and not in the same way as other countries. They will literally argue we see the sky as black and will continue to lie even when you call them out.

Again if you have no doorman you have to be at home to take the trash out at a certain time. There is always Saturday at least.

Asian skin care products are way better but are usually a weird floral scent. This is up to taste though.

If you don’t have an umbrella people will insist on giving you one.

Most people can help you in English in Taipei but definitely download Google translate.

Get a Costco membership.

Bring your favorite snacks because you most likely won’t find them here. Especially Mac and cheese.

Get a scooter licence ASAP.

Okay that’s all I have for now :joy::ok_hand:

Oh one very important thing if you’re legit sick go to an English speaking hospital. Clinics will give you these packs of vitamins and send you home. Even if you need an x-ray don’t go to the x-ray place go to a hospital. It might cost but better than wasting money at a clinic if it’s serious.

7 Likes

Not really, they wore what was available. In Taiwan lots of people wear nylon/polyester, easy maintenance, quick dry, but shitty as hell.

Yeah, and modern AC units have a heat setting that only adds a couple thousand to the price.

I never use mine though because my house stays between 21-23C no matter how cold it is outside.

There is a nice baking/cooking supply store in Taoyuan that has just about everything. My son is trying to find the name now. I’ll post it here if he does.

Bring steak knives.

1 Like

Only north taiwan

That is true. And as the thread title says, the OP is “moving to Taipei.” :grin:

Guy

If this person lives in Shanghai, then I’d imagine they already have experience with hot/muggy weather.

Cotton absorbs sweat like a sponge and with linen you will never get wrinkles out.

My suggestion - get under shirts that are moisture wicking polyester, or a cotton/poly blend. The higher the % of poly the better moisture wicking properties.

Premium leathers sneakers work great for the rain and hot weather - leather uppers, leather insoles, rubber outsoles. Leather is naturally breathable and won’t smell. So great for people with with sweaty feet. But yes if you just live them in the closet they’ll get moldy.

And cold?

That makes it so special in fashion, the wrinkles give it attitude.

1 Like