What do I do if I find a dead wild animal?

http://www.taroko.gov.tw/TarokoPortalEng/7_0_0/01.aspx?E=QWN0aW9uPVZpZXdEZXRhaWwmSWRlbnRpdHlJRD02

I would love to see the police reaction when some foreigner comes up with a plastic wrapped animal corpse.

We’ve contacted the authorities on a couple of occasions when we found a cat that had been struck by a car; Dragonbabe didn’t want to merely ignore it and move on like other people. She felt better if we put it in a box or covered it, and then had someone get the body.

The local neighborhood head responded one time, dispatching someone to dispose of it, and the EPA, I think, send a vehicle the next time. Nobody acted as if it were weird, and one of them thanked us for being ‘so caring’.

http://www.taroko.gov.tw/TarokoPortalEng/7_0_0/01.aspx?E=QWN0aW9uPVZpZXdEZXRhaWwmSWRlbnRpdHlJRD02

I would love to see the police reaction when some foreigner comes up with a plastic wrapped animal corpse.[/quote]
They say: “Thank you, we’ll send this to the relevant authorities. Can you tell us exactly where you found it because the park authorities keep careful records of such things?”
At least, that’s what they say in my experience.

Two words: Hot Pot!

i have eaten road kill. i am proud of it. only fresh stuff, mind you. i do have standards.

(no reason to let such a beautiful large python go to waste. or, oh great: no need to buy dog food this month)

Rabbits, pheasants, deer, grouse. Nothing wrong with roadkill. Even got a 25-pound salmon once, but I think that actually fell out of someone’s car so I guess it doesn’t count.

[quote=“Toe Save”]Two words: Hot Pot![/quote]I disagree. Frying is the way to go. :lick:

If you run over someone’s dog you don’t have to do anything (In fact, the police will just say “it’s just a dog”) But if you come across a wild animal that is supposed to live and die in the wild, you have to report it ? Or do I just not understand Taiwan ?

You don’t HAVE to, but the park authorities request that you do, as they have zoologists working there on censuses, habitat, breeding and feeding patterns, etc. They can learn a lot from autopsies on dead beasties.

My girlfriend and I stopped at a small lake driving up to the Yukon. We split up and started strolling. At one point I stopped and was admiring the view. I noticed a strange mound to the side. I looked at it. Dry, grassy, strangely shaped like a - oh fuck, there’s an eye. It’s an elk. A fresh elk kill lightly covered by you know what. “Kirsten!” I shouted, “Get back to the car.” Of course being a young feminist she didn’t like to be yelled at and took her sweet time. The bear returned and ate her. No of course not but she would have almost deserved it.

I think if you find a dead wild animal you are supposed to poke it with a stick. That’s all that’s really required of you. Then leave it for the next person who comes across it to also poke it with a stick. A cat or dog lying dead in a park is different. Then you are supposed to say, “poor little guy”, and remove it for public health reasons.