What do taiwanese guys think of ABC girls?

LIked this hot ABC girl back in the day.

IF only…

ABC girls can be very desirable. English fluent in a Taiwanese hot girl bod? NICE>

You are probably best off looking for a white expat. Typically ABC girls are more demanding than local girls. No one wants to deal with that.

Maybe I read your message wrong, but you do realize the OP is an ABC girl, right? :popcorn:

Yes yang gui. I told her shes better off looking for a white dude whos willing to put up with her demands. ABC girls are much more demanding than local girls. Taiwanese guys not going to put up with that. Only expat guys are.

[quote=“indiealtrockon”]
Hmm not sure if I’m using this quoting function correctly; I’m new to this site. But in response to that, thanks for your input! I get now that it surely depends on the individual and I guess I’ll just see in the future. I was just a bit iffy about how the Taiwanese have a whole Hollywood idea about Americans and the culture being super liberal, and it sometimes clouds their vision of me (I’m actually quite conservative). And how Taiwanese tend to look up to American culture…I have met people who get all flustered and start treating me differently, telling me all about how much they love everything American. They’ll sometimes even say it’s because they like Americans and I’m American, therefore they like me. I wouldn’t want them to like me just because I grew up in the US, or have them view me too differently. It feels like it would be a bit confusing/hard to differentiate whether someone likes me for me or just because of the status “American” culture has there. I have even met the guy that basically said "Americans are my type therefore I like you "…he implied and made me feel like he’d just be using me to show me off, for some reason, to his friends…yikes :eh: But anyway, it’s interesting hearing from an ABC guy. Sure our roles may be reversed but you’ve been very helpful and insightful! :slight_smile:[/quote]

I really gotta get out more often because this is the first time I’m hearing the whole “I like you because you’re American” (from guy to girl), I know that ABC guys are always bragging about hearing that from local girls at clubs, but let’s not get into that.

I can see both a good and bad side to him liking you because you’re an ABC, but if he has zero other reasons on why he likes you other than “You’re an ABC”. Time to say goodbye. It’s like me telling my gf, hey I like you because you’re Taiwanese and Taiwanese is my type. What does that even mean? The worst pick-up line ever? If he can’t even come up with a mere compliment like, you have a nice smile/hair/eyes then these are the guys you do not need to waste time on. I mean, everyone has “types”, but liking you because you’re an ABC is just…shallow?

[quote=“indiealtrockon”]
I know guys in the US don’t see dates as too big of a deal, it’s the pre-relationship thing. But it seems that taiwanese guys only ask girls out on dates when they are much farther along in the relationship and liking the girl. Would a guy who is friends with me get freaked out if I just asked him to hang out one on one, just to get to Hang, or would they think that it’s a date? I have met Taiwanese guys who are quick to compliment me in what Americans would call flirty ways, calling me beautiful and cute, all that jazz. But because of how everyone seems to be so polite and nice, it’s really hard to tell if they actually think I look pretty or if they’re just so used to saying it as a polite thing. So do guys there just throw out compliments whenever or only when they like someone?[/quote]

Telling a girl/guy that you like her in Taiwan dating culture is a pretty big deal. It’s pretty much the equivalent of, let’s be together. There’s really not much of one on one dating. Usually you start out with a group of friends and the guy will most likely give you a little extra attention in person and via FB/LINE/whatsapp and what have you.

I really can’t figure out how a Taiwanese guy would be so up front about complimenting you. Unless this is a club or lounge and one of you was intoxicated, I do not really hear many guys doing that unless they are really interested in you. You should factor in, like any other guy in the world, they may just want to get into your pants.

ABC guy who just moved to Taiwan 1.5 months ago. What in particular are you worried about?

[quote=“ranlee”]
Telling a girl/guy that you like her in Taiwan dating culture is a pretty big deal. It’s pretty much the equivalent of, let’s be together. There’s really not much of one on one dating. Usually you start out with a group of friends and the guy will most likely give you a little extra attention in person and via FB/LINE/whatsapp and what have you.

I really can’t figure out how a Taiwanese guy would be so up front about complimenting you. Unless this is a club or lounge and one of you was intoxicated, I do not really hear many guys doing that unless they are really interested in you. You should factor in, like any other guy in the world, they may just want to get into your pants.[/quote]

Right. So I noticed taiwanese guys always say things I do are “可愛” or they’ll straight up just tell me I’m cute, but note this more often happens on things like " line " when we talk… But I also noticed that they seem to think a lot of other things are cute/pretty/ beautiful; maybe I’m mistaken but those compliments seem to be used very generally and freely, IMO. Some will also say the whole “why are you single” thing.just like the way people use the term “帥哥”
All that aside, they seem to become friendlier when they find out I’m ABC, and respond with something along the lines of “America is awesome”… To me, it’s just hard to differentiate friendliness from interest.

My worry? It Would be just finding people who im able to click with, cultural differences and all. I know family approval is a big thing, and that there’s little to no dating culture there. Another worry is that it also seems that a lot of guys are just going through the motions, trying to find a girl during college, stick with that, settle down, as that’s like the model there. And how things all start out in friend groups… How would you really enter those? Since Ive read on Forumosa and seem that friend groups are kind of formed in schools and set… Hm I just suppose it’d take quite the time to get used to.

All that aside, yes, I think taiwanese guys are very likeable… And generally dress much better than ABC guys do (of course there are exceptions, just my opinion) and seem to really care about their family, career, but can also have a good time. Those are just some thoughts

[quote=“tommy525”]LIked this hot ABC girl back in the day.

IF only…

ABC girls can be very desirable. English fluent in a Taiwanese hot girl bod? NICE>[/quote]

Gotta agree, although I rarely got the chance to meet any BBC/ABCs.

Constance Wu is pretty nice :slight_smile:

twitter.com/ConstanceWu

[quote=“indiealtrockon”]
Right. So I noticed taiwanese guys always say things I do are “可愛” or they’ll straight up just tell me I’m cute, but note this more often happens on things like " line " when we talk… But I also noticed that they seem to think a lot of other things are cute/pretty/ beautiful; maybe I’m mistaken but those compliments seem to be used very generally and freely, IMO. Some will also say the whole “why are you single” thing.just like the way people use the term “帥哥”
All that aside, they seem to become friendlier when they find out I’m ABC, and respond with something along the lines of “America is awesome”… To me, it’s just hard to differentiate friendliness from interest. [/quote]

可愛 (in my opinion) is a polite way to express that you’re pretty or good looking without being too forward. Of course, the term can also be used by an older male to describe a younger female without sounding like a pedo. It really depends on how it’s used though. There are those outliers where they are just NG’s (nice guys) and are just willing to help you out with anything. My gf has a really good friend that we hang out with often and he’s always willing to either me or my girlfriend with some stuff. I know he’s not trying to win my gf over or anything because it’s not like him, but there are just some genuinely nice people.

Like I’ve said before about differentiating between men being friendly or interested, like any other guy, if they’re showing extra interest in you and/or doing extra for you, it may be a sign they’re interested. It’s not suggested that you “test” them, but if you’re really confused, it could be an option. For example, ask him for some favors that you know a guy friend wouldn’t really agree to doing. Specifically, maybe there’s an item at a shop nearby his place that you’ve ordered, it’s kind of out of the way on his route to work but you need it urgently. Or the ol “come pick me up because I live far” test. If he’s constantly willing to pick you up and drop you off via car/scooter, there’s gotta be some interest there, right? These “favors” aren’t even based off of Taiwanese guy personalities, in the states, if a guy is interested in you, wouldn’t he do the same?

I understand you keep saying “Taiwanese guys are too friendly or too nice” you can’t differentiate, but at the end of the day, they’re still guys. Unless under very special circumstances, I for one, would NOT pick up or send home just a friend, if they lived far away from me. If I wasn’t interested in her, I wouldn’t want to give her the wrong idea either.

[quote=“indiealtrockon”]My worry? It Would be just finding people who im able to click with, cultural differences and all. I know family approval is a big thing, and that there’s little to no dating culture there. Another worry is that it also seems that a lot of guys are just going through the motions, trying to find a girl during college, stick with that, settle down, as that’s like the model there. And how things all start out in friend groups… How would you really enter those? Since Ive read on Forumosa and seem that friend groups are kind of formed in schools and set… Hm I just suppose it’d take quite the time to get used to.

All that aside, yes, I think taiwanese guys are very likeable… And generally dress much better than ABC guys do (of course there are exceptions, just my opinion) and seem to really care about their family, career, but can also have a good time. Those are just some thoughts[/quote]

I really do not think it’ll be hard to find a group to click with. Just follow your interests. You may have a little hard time trying to fit in at first because they’ll have their inside jokes and will talk about previous experiences but that’s for any newcomer to any group. Don’t worry, they’ll warm up to you. Taiwanese people are renowned for being extremely nice to strangers.

As for your worries, I really think that once you get here, just go with the flow. In my past experience, thinking too much was not helpful. Everything is a learning experience.

[quote=“indiealtrockon”][quote=“ranlee”]

I really can’t figure out how a Taiwanese guy would be so up front about complimenting you. Unless this is a club or lounge and one of you was intoxicated, I do not really hear many guys doing that unless they are really interested in you. You should factor in, like any other guy in the world, they may just want to get into your pants.[/quote]

All that aside, they seem to become friendlier when they find out I’m ABC, and respond with something along the lines of “America is awesome”… To me, it’s just hard to differentiate friendliness from interest.

My worry? It Would be just finding people who im able to click with, cultural differences and all. I know family approval is a big thing, and that there’s little to no dating culture there. Another worry is that it also seems that a lot of guys are just going through the motions, trying to find a girl during college, stick with that, settle down, as that’s like the model there. And how things all start out in friend groups… How would you really enter those? Since Ive read on Forumosa and seem that friend groups are kind of formed in schools and set… Hm I just suppose it’d take quite the time to get used to.

All that aside, yes, I think taiwanese guys are very likeable… And generally dress much better than ABC guys do (of course there are exceptions, just my opinion) and seem to really care about their family, career, but can also have a good time. Those are just some thoughts[/quote]

Cultural differences? I don’t see any cultural differences. I moved back here 2 months ago and I’ve been seeing my girlfriend for a little more than a month already. She was born and raised in Taiwan. If you’re hot you will get hit on. PM me if you want to hang. Most of my friends are ABC’s or speak English. We like to try nice restaurants and drink but not drink till we die.

[quote=“aNYCtransplant”]
Cultural differences? I don’t see any cultural differences. I moved back here 2 months ago and I’ve been seeing my girlfriend for a little more than a month already. She was born and raised in Taiwan. If you’re hot you will get hit on. PM me if you want to hang. Most of my friends are ABC’s or speak English. We like to try nice restaurants and drink but not drink till we die.[/quote]

Dating for 1.5 months? Honey moon phase. Cherish it!!! :smiley:

Haha will do.

My observation regarding ABC dating scene in Taiwan is quite different for guys and girls. Most ABCs in Taiwan are perceived to be more sophisticated and affluent than locals. ABC guys can use this to their advantage. Gentlemanly manners such as opening doors or pulling out chairs for ladies often make ABC guys quite the catch among local girls. However, ABC girls are often perceived as arrogant and snobbish to local guys because so few qualified men can afford to court and marry ABC girls. With so many attractive local girls in Taiwan, local guys may think of ABC girls as too demanding and hard to get. Chemistry is everything in the dating scene. Physical appearance, family back ground, money, humor and personality play a huge role in mate selection process. No right or wrong answers here just sharing my humble opinion.

Sounds about right.