What do Taiwanese people mean when they describe food as "Q"?

They (the good) are made from rice, the bad ones are a mix of rice and wheat.

I like “rubbery.”

1 Like

The texture of overcooked Brussels sprouts.

That’s an analogy I didn’t need. I can almost smell them.

1 Like

Don’t insult Brussels sprouts! Prepared the right way they are délicieux!

I hear they’re great on Belgian waffles with mayonnaise.

In a milky silky creamy bechamel, with just a pinch of nutmeg!

1 Like

That reminds me, I must put them on ready for Christmas.

Grinch.

A few Taiwanese have asked me how to translate Q. I have failed to come up with a suitable translation which does not sound bad…for example, “rubbery”…not too appetizing. I think one problem is my English is so poor. (When people ask me how many languages I speak I tell them a little bit of Chinese and about half of English.)

I really envy those of you who completely fluent in more than one language.

1 Like

Same thing with steak. If it’s pink in the middle they think it’s raw. They really don’t get the concept of Medium Rare.

When I cook steak for my wife I still have to do it well-done. She refuses to even try anything less than that.

I feel your pain. My wife also likes burnt hockey pucks of meat. I finally convinced her that having a medium steak won’t kill her and actually tastes much better than well-done, but she won’t go bloody like medium rare. When I cook Costco steaks, I always keep her’s in the pan an extra 3 minutes.

1 Like

At least it’s a clear indicator that I don’t want to eat it.

1 Like

Next time cut off your Nike sneaker soles and serve’r that! Or buy the soles in bulk from China!

2 Likes

I asked my chef husband is there a English word for QQ. He said no, may be chewy.

I tried to explained QQ to him in US as related to al dente, he didn’t really understands it until we moved to Taiwan.

When he cooked risotto for me the first time, I told he he didn’t cook the rice all the way. LOL.

“Q” appeared in the New Yorker this week: “bubble tea and gua bao … exemplify a particular springy, elastic texture that’s identified in Taiwan by the letter ‘Q’”.

It’s kind of fun reading the article and trying to figure out what food they’re talking about. And boy, do I not know much about the food of the island that’s been my home for well over a decade.

Something was a little lost in the translation there, lol

Everyone’s talking about it in terms of texture - springy, elastic, chewy etc.

I think it’s more “WTF!”. Such as you are drinking bubble milk tea and this strange ball fires up your straw and you say WTF!

1 Like

How dare you! :wink: