What do the TW fuzz actually do?

taipeitimes.com/News/taiwan/ … 2003596046

What does the fuzz actually do? Besides scaring engrish teachers?

Not a whole lot Tommy…not a whole lot.

They cruise around a lot with their lights on, so keeping the streets of Taiwan safe, whilst driving the bad guys underground and beyond.
But we’ve surely covered this all before?

I wonder what happened to the [strike]old bastards[/strike] fine upstanding businesspeople who were [strike]thieving and abusing animals[/strike] upholding a fine old tradition? I assume they had connections if the police knew where they lived and yet did nothing about it. And of course, we must venerate our elders, right?

Since I’m a meat-eater, I can’t really criticise people for eating dogs as long as they’re treated and killed humanely. But stealing people’s pets and eating them? Low. Really low.

Chatting with the cops in our area they say they spend most time dealing with family disturbances, fights between neighbors and scam artists. We live near a university and the students are always getting various mails requesting them to send money via ATM for this or that. (seems the scammers are quite good at coming up with different stories/methods) The cops got so sick of the students getting scammed they went to nearby 7/11 and Family Mart to request them to put up signs at the ATM to warn students not to believe the messages they receive. Cops said the university has warned students about this but students keep getting scammed.

And these are the country’s intellectual creme de la creme, being fleeced by people too thick to get a proper job? :doh:

It’s incredible Taiwan functions as well as it does.

The scammers have lots of inside info that they use to trick people, purchase records online etc.

Seems one scam is the students receive an message (like from MSN before) from someone posing as a friend. The friend asks them to go to 7/11 and buy some game card for them as they don’t have the time or cash to buy. After the purchase the friend ask for the card number and uses the card. Sorry…this might not make sense…I don’t know what such cards are but my wife said she also received such scam notices from “friends”.

The local cops actually asked the convenience stores to stop selling such cards. Well, I don’t know the result.

What an informative article. It seems like the newspapers are just about as useful as the police. They managed to tell a neat story without mentioning the names of the dog kidnappers/butchers, the name of the village they live in, the names of the useless police officers in questions, or even the names of the precincts. Are they that afraid of being sued that they won’t even publish names anymore? Surely if they are confident enough to print an article, they must be confident enough that the old couple are indeed guilty and thus won’t be suing for libel?

Scammers, con artists, thefts and neighborhood/family disturbances. If you ever want to freak out a cop, take his picture.

It’s all bloody stupid work, sort of like being an English teacher, relatively well paid by local standards, but a real bitch to have to deal with all the little shit.

I’m surprised that Lin Chih-yang hasn’t been arrested and imprisoned himself for causing trouble.

Another poster previously blamed the media for doing a crappy job stating the who, where, why, etc, and I would normally agree with him but I bet if they did post all the specifics, there might just be trouble.

Best to let sleeping dogs lie.

Or be eaten, in this case.

[quote=“dan2006”]Another poster previously blamed the media for doing a crappy job stating the who, where, why, etc, and I would normally agree with him but I bet if they did post all the specifics, there might just be trouble.

Best to let sleeping dogs lie.[/quote]
"A LAOWAI was caught with a dead cannabis plant! Here is a picture of the LAOWAI! He lives at #77 PingPong Rd, section 15, lane 62. Here is a a picture of the LAOWAI’s mother that we got from facebook. The LAOWAI is an English teacher from Canada. Here’s a picture of his father. The LAOWAI doesn’t understand Taiwan culture. Here is a picture of the LAOWAI’s grandmother. She lives at #84 Codapple St, Halifax, Nova Scotia. LAOWAI from Canada like to eat fish and take drugs. Here is a picture of his father fishing for fish. He bring shame on his family.

Here are some pictures of the LAOWAI and his father fishing for fish. The father is a WAIGUOREN. Didn’t teach his children to respect old people and fertilize the cannabis tree. He bring shame on his family.

Here is his grandfather’s passport number."

[quote=“dan2006”]Another poster previously blamed the media for doing a crappy job stating the who, where, why, etc, and I would normally agree with him but I bet if they did post all the specifics, there might just be trouble.

Actually, Apple did publish the whole enchilada, with pictures of the old couple, plus doggie cadaver ready to eat. I’ll try to dig it out of the recycling bin.

[quote=“jimipresley”][quote=“dan2006”]Another poster previously blamed the media for doing a crappy job stating the who, where, why, etc, and I would normally agree with him but I bet if they did post all the specifics, there might just be trouble.

"A LAOWAI was caught with a dead cannabis plant! Here is a picture of the LAOWAI! He lives at #77 PingPong Rd, section 15, lane 62. Here is a a picture of the LAOWAI’s mother that we got from facebook. The LAOWAI is an English teacher from Canada. Here’s a picture of his father. The LAOWAI doesn’t understand Taiwan culture. Here is a picture of the LAOWAI’s grandmother. She lives at #84 Codapple St, Halifax, Nova Scotia. LAOWAI from Canada like to eat fish and take drugs. Here is a picture of his father fishing for fish. He bring shame on his family.

Here are some pictures of the LAOWAI. He bring shame on his family."[/quote]

Right… Because what is LAOWAI going to do about it?? Oh thats right, nothing :smiley:

You post a locals info up online and they will bring the entire power of their guanxi network down on your ass.

Still the fuzz should be made to actually do something except only deal with “real crimes” and play mahjong and catch engrish teachers :slight_smile:

TW fuzz don’t really like to get involved, unless you involve them.

They like to drink tea. If you drink tea with them, use the same prostitutes, go to the same weddings, you’ll never be in trouble in Taiwan. Zain Dean could have learned from this.