What do you consider to be the best Indian food restaurant in Taipei?

Out of India is the other one, it’s a fairly small place and all decorated in Indian décor, the one I’m thinking of was bigger and plainer, but it was about a decade ago, so, maybe gone. The one I’m thinking of could seat nearly 100 (maybe 50 it was a while back).

Hmmm! Never seen a space quite that big.

The only other joint in that neighbourhood I’m aware of is Masala House. They’ve gone through various owners / management though so I doubt this place would (still?) yield the magic vindaloo you seek.

Guy

1 Like

Before that, up on Songjiang Road across from the old Jia Jia bowling alley. Went there a lot back then!

1 Like

Now that is going back! Never been to that location.

It’s impressive how the proprietor Mr Ameen refined his craft and approach over the years—finding away to bring out some of the amazing flavours of India and Pakistan while also making those flavours appealing to Taiwanese.

Guy

1 Like

Dosa, sambar, and coconut chutney. Oh and that spiced potato they often serve with it. It would be good if there was somewhere casual I could get this in Taipei, if one can procure it here at all that is.

Jeez, I wish I had never checked this chat. I could murder a ruby right now!

A while ago, I would have suggested Amma’s Kitchen in Taipei. Loved their initial cozy location near Taipower Building MRT Station. After the move to the new location off Heping East Road, it’s been a long and sad slide downhill . . . :slightly_frowning_face:

Guy

1 Like

There was only a couple of Indian places back then. Taj Palace and I think the other was Tandoor, still over there too, I think.

Interestingly both of these venerable joints are operated by Pakistanis.

Guy

1 Like

This is a fair point. Perhaps South Asian cuisine would be a better descriptor.

2 Likes

IMO, authentic for Indian food is defined as using roughly the same set of spices as some Indian version. The list of ingredients can be long and hard to source locally.

A lot of Indian restaurants in Taipei are ridiculous bc they take shortcuts and use the same premade spice mixes for several different curries, while keeping the prices high. The Indian place in Taipei Main Station goes as far as to use the Maggi (Indian Ramen) spice packet in their curries.

I’ve talked to the owners of most Indian restaurants in Taipei about this, and some really don’t seem to care as long as they’re doing OK financially. Their argument: The Taiwanese are not used to strong flavors, and there aren’t enough Indians in Taiwan so there isn’t any need for authenticity. A lot of Indian restaurants in Taipei have extremely high Google ratings, but they absolutely suck. A good rule of thumb is to see what Indians wrote about the place.

I found the few restaurants that care and mentioned them in my list above. Rest is personal preference. Hope y’all can find what you’re looking for.

6 Likes

To add to this list, check out Namaste Taiwan in Shida Night Market. Minimal menu, but the flavors are spot on. The portions are amazing. Approximately 150 NTD / person / meal. Cheapest option by far and also very worth it.

The owner (Tashi) is super nice as well and genuinely enjoys cooking.

1 Like

Wait isn’t that guy on Anhe Road, near the Heping intersection?

If so, yes the lunch specials are a very good deal, if also alas unimaginative.

Guy

Try out their alacarte menu as well. The portions are enough for 2 people.

I was quite unimpressed by their aloo gobi. It was large. That’s pretty much all I can say! :rofl:

Guy

thanks, it is! I love the curry and the view. The sunset looks amazing here.

2 Likes

Pretty rude staff, odd timings and food is not Indian, expensive then Saffron, I feel!

???

Does this mean the kitchen was slow?

Guy

I totally agree with you. Once i was there at BAlle BAlle and owner almost ‘pushed’ us to write only 5star review to get 2 free drinks for our next visit. Surprisingly, He gave us one coupon also mentioning the same offer! LOL

Nope, We didn’t notice that they close so early in the evening and the way they asked ‘warned’ us to leave by 19:45 hrs. was quite rude.