What do you drink? How much do you drink?

Bottle of whisky a week plus a few beers a couple of times a week.

‘Pull the other one, it has got bells on.’

Black Russians, Kahlua and Cream, Laphroaig (when available), some beers (Pyramid Hefeweizen by choice, or RedHook ESB, or any good pale ale).

But the quantities are usually exceedingly low. I’ve gone months without anything containing measurable amounts of ethanol. The heaviest-drinking night I’ve had in two years was with Tomas the other night. The heaviest-drinking night I had two years ago was with Tomas. Hmm. I detect a pattern here. . . . :stuck_out_tongue:

Much more commonly, tea or diet soda.

Whiskey makes my stomach sick the next day and I have a sulfite allergy which makes wine drinking out of the question in this country (cuz they don’t label it on the bottle). In my youth I was fond of me gin (preferably with lemon juice and crushed ice - alcoholic lemonade), but these days it’s strictly beer. With the occasional tequila shot on special occasions.

I’m a binge drinker. I only drink to get drunk and I have an off and on relationship with booze. I will typically go through a heavy alcoholic phase (getting drunk once or twice a week, emptying a case of beer per week), and at some point I will get physically nauseaus at the thought of booze (that’s why God invented hangovers). So I’ll go off on a sobriety binge for a few weeks or even months. Then I’ll say to myself, “Hey, remember how fun it was getting drunk? Why not? I’ve been a good boy for a long time,” and the cycle will start again.

Right now I’m in the sober phase of the cycle. I’ve only had about three beers in the past month - otherwise stone sober. I’ll probably pick up the bottle again eventually. Next month, likely. After about 11 years of off and on drinking I think I can predict myself fairly well.

I don’t really drink much if at all. When I do, Vodka is at the top of my list. :sunglasses:

Mostly beer, and if at all possible, ale. Lagers are ok (I like some pilsners and many other German or Czech lagers), but I strongly prefer ales. In the summer, my tastes run to hoppy brews: IPAs, pale ales, maybe a very cold wheat ale thrown in if food is involved. I don’t like anything with abv>8% or so (imo, barleywine isn’t beer, it’s, well, wine, and shitty wine at that, and double-bocks double suck), and I prefer to drink in sessions. I like to put the week behind me on Saturday afternoon and, late in the afternoon on Saturday, open or draw the first beer. Usually, when the sun sets, I quit drinking (usually from 5-10 beers or 1,650-3,300 cc’s) - but not always. Occasionally, if the occasion merits, I’ll drink beer during the week as well.

In further refinement - or a further nazification if you like - of my beer opinions, I generally only drink cans of any beer if it’s wheat harvest time during a Kansas summertime (by my eye, about 10-12 days from today, btw) and I find myself surrounded by thirsty, dusty farmers extending cans of ice cold Coors Light in my general direction. Or whatever else they extend, it doesn’t really matter since the beer’s always near freezing anyway, the difference between the air temperature and that of the beer is about 40C, and my throat feels more like a dirty sock than my own human flesh at the time. Coors Light washes away the dirt just fine then.

Mostly, though, I love the flavor of beer all by itself. Food is not necessary; indeed, it’s often not welcome.

If I haven’t made it to Breeze in time, I’ll drink Tsingtao premium lager since I find TTL’s gold medal to have inconsistent quality control (that said, a friend recently got hold of TTL’s new premium brew, designed I’m sure to compete with Tsingtao’s premium, and I found it quite tasty if a bit sweet. If it’s being distributed when I return to Taiwan, I’ll probably try it again). The last time I had TTL’s gold medal in any quantity to speak of, I was sick in a non-hangover, jittery-nerves kind of way during the two days that followed. And I almost always match my beer intake with an equivalent volume of cold water, virtually eliminating beer hangovers for me, but it didn’t matter with the TTL gold medal lager on that occasion.

Fruit in beer is, in my household, an abomination and punishable by death if I can catch you. (e.g., limes/lemons in Corona, which is, in my humble estimation, only alleged to be beer anyway).

For an everyday summer beer in Kansas, USA, I will buy Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, or Samuel Smith’s IPA, or Goose Island IPA (a Chicago brew).

I love the taste of good hops in my mouth when it’s hot outside. Somehow, I always feel cooler. Er, temperature-wise, that is. :blush:

As summer wanes and the evenings cool, I switch to darker ales. By Christmas I’m drinking stout ales, and for an everyday ale I prefer Guinness Extra Stout (Foreign, but the one available only in N. America, not that vile brew available in Taiwan) or, better, Sierra Nevada Stout (very hoppy - wildly hoppy, in fact). This is also the only time I’ll drink seasonal ales, and I’m especially fond of Sierra Nevada’s Celebration Ale and Anchor Steam’s Christmas Ale, which is consistently excellent if inconsistent in its flavor from year to year.

I love to stand and piss in a snowbank while belching up the gasses of a good stout, right up and into my own drunken nose. If snow’s falling at the same time, aahh, that’s paradise for me. :astonished:

Ahem.

In winter only, I also like an occasional glass of whisky; a good blend is ok (Johnny Walker Black; Blue is better :wink: ) and a good single malt is probably best (I like Balvenie’s 12yr). I also like an occasional glass of cognac, especially Courvoisier VSOP, or better (I like Courvoisier’s buttery flavor). I hate ice or water in my hooch, and I drink it all neat and at room temperature. I prefer dry wines with food, and I never drink wine unless I’m eating a meal. I don’t drink spirits; anything clear in color is invariably going to leave me feeling hopelessly muddled the next day.

Christ, that’s a lot of booze rules I have. Sheesh… :blush:

Cheers!

[quote=“Durins Bane”]This is my normal drinking schedule:

Wednesday nights at Mama Mia’s: Two for one Long Island Iced Teas. (my self imposed max is 4) the best served drink on the island. [/quote]

That sounds very fine. Where is Mama Mia’s?

Is it just Asia, or does the novelty of getting drunk in a foreign country never wear off for expats around the globe? I can see if you’re under 25 and not experienced enough to know that there is more to life experience than how many times you can get drunk in a week. But I’m meeting people age 30 plus that talk like high school kids about drinking, a kind of faux achievement.

I drink occassionally and yes sometimes I go overboard, but I find that “drinking” as a conversation topic is totally boring, and if I have to listen to another one of my co-workers brag about how hungover he is…I’m gonna puke.

Now this is just plain silly talk! As if! But not NEARLY as silly as someone for whom [quote]“drinking” as a conversation topic is totally boring[/quote] clicking on a link titled “How much do you drink?”

FYI, there could well be people reading this who are finding after reading about other people’s consumption habits that they might have an alcohol problem. If that makes even one single person stop for a second and consider that, then the thread has provided a valuable service, which is one of the purposes of Forumosa.
For someone as boneheaded as a person who would waste his precious and valuable time reading posts on a thread in which he has no interest whatsoever? Whew! I don’t think even Forumosa can provide services for someone as totally senseless as that.

Chill dude, have a drink. Make it a double, why don’t you?

Eh I suppose it’s true in a way. After all, out of a foreign staff of 6, I am the only one who doesn’t habitually hit the bar every night or every other night. All of us are 25 or younger, too. And it was like that in China too before I got here. Meh. Hey to each their own, right? Some like spending their nights having a good brew and some chit chat, others work on hobbies or obsessions. In my case, the epic novel that will make me at least somewhat known in the literary world. I hope. I pray. :notworthy: :s All that while also perusing the boards. :rainbow:

when I can get it Barbancourt rum from haiti, unreal straight over ice. the best. luckily for my own good you can’t get it in taiwan :slight_smile: for much the same reason I pass on the scotch these days. glenmorangie was my favorite, hope i spelled it right. i content myself with a bottle of red wine on sunday these days and an occasional beer. been enjoying those hoegaardens some :slight_smile: who said they aren’t good with pizza :slight_smile:

[quote=“ophion”][quote=“Durins Bane”]This is my normal drinking schedule:

Wednesday nights at Mama Mia’s: Two for one Long Island Iced Teas. (my self imposed max is 4) the best served drink on the island. [/quote]

That sounds very fine. Where is Mama Mia’s?[/quote]

Chung Cheng 1st RD, Kaohsiung.

Now this is just plain silly talk! As if! But not NEARLY as silly as someone for whom [quote]“drinking” as a conversation topic is totally boring[/quote] clicking on a link titled “How much do you drink?”[/quote]

Now, now sandman, some of us initially thought it might be a thread about naicha and the vital importance of drinking 2 litres of water a day. That’s the only reason I read the thread… and I’m very disappointed with all of your naicha recommendations, let me tell you.

As for the alcoholic stuff, I’ll only touch it if you can get me a really nice daquiri (preferably with an umbrella) or something dessert-like, like a cocktail with lots of cream and chocolate in it. It’s preferences like that that kind of exclude you from any trendy place in Sydney, or indeed, the world :blush:

What the heck is “naicha?”

Is that like, “I’d like some naichas and cheese, extra jalapenos - and a pale ale - please, waiter person.”

Typo? or is “naicha” some other dadgum food thing I know nothing about yet?

Milk Tea.

Milk Tea

[quote=“flike”]Mostly beer, and if at all possible, ale. Lagers are ok (I like some pilsners and many other German or Czech lagers), but I strongly prefer ales.
This is also the only time I’ll drink seasonal ales, and I’m especially fond of Sierra Nevada’s Celebration Ale and Anchor Steam’s Christmas Ale, which is consistently excellent if inconsistent in its flavor from year to year.
[/quote]
if u like these beers, you might like the Sam Adams seasonals. Their oktoberfest beers are quite nice.

Never tried Bookers.

Tell ya what… when smerf comes over to try the Rebel Yell, you can too. Then, you can tell us how they compare.

I’ve got a bottle of 30 year old Laphroaig. Maybe you want to come over when smerf, Mucha Man and I try the Rebel Yell?

I Drink Alone - George Thorogood and the Destroyers

I drink alone, yeah, with nobody else.
Yeah, you know when I drink alone, I prefer to be by myself.

Now, every morning, just before breakfast,
I don’t want no coffee or tea.
Just me and my good buddy Weiser.
That’s all I ever need.

Cause I drink alone, yeah, with nobody else.

Now, the other night I lay sleeping,
And I woke from a terrible dream.
So I called up my pal, Jack Daniels,
And his partner Jimmy Beam.

And we drank alone, yeah, with nobody else.
We drank alone, yeah, with nobody else.

Well, the other night I got invited to a party,
But I stayed home instead.
Just me and my pal Johnny Walker,
And his brothers Black and Red.

And we drank alone, yeah, with nobody else.
We drank alone, yeah, with nobody else.

Well, my whole family done give up on me,
And it makes me feel so bad.
The only one who’ll hang out with me
Is my dear old Granddad.

And we drink alone, yeah, with nobody else.
We drink alone, yeah, with nobody else.

Yes… me too. I like ale. But, I’ll drink a pilsner if its bitter… like Jever.

Yes, yes. Me too.

OK… we disagree here. Though I too like session beers… I do enjoy a good barleywine or a strong Belgian ale late in the winter evening before I retire.

I often have a beer with my dinner… sometimes with my lunch.

I prefer bottled beer, and particularly bottle conditioned ales. But, having spent about 8 years on a farm, I would not reject a cold canned beer after putting the hay away.

Yes, yes, yes… I love the taste and aroma of beer.

Yes, yes, yes, yes. I agree.

Mmmm… I love SNPA!

Yes… and the hoppy aroma too… don’t forget that! Ever try Arrogant Bastard Ale from the Stone Brewery in San Diego? That is hyper-hopped! We Americans from the US love hoppy beer.

It used to be available here in Taiwan… Ever try Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout? Mmmmm… only brewed for Christmas.

I will drink seasonal ales.

I’ve always thought that one of the pleasures of being a male and living in a rural area.

No, no… It was a perfectly wonderful post. I enjoyed it immensely. It makes up for all the terrible posts you place in the IP forum… :wink: