What do you eat on long (4 hour plus) bike rides?

Sorry. Before and after. During i still go fairly heavy on proteins but also add more sugars/carbs. I usually have a big protein meal (light, but lots, like chicken breast without oil) the night before. I also used to have meat and hour or 2 in the morning before riding (basically wake up and eat some). Then tey my best to have a nice meaningful dump before starting :innocent: handy to know your bodys digestion times.

During would be tough to eat proper meat. But I still kept it protein heavy on the rides but switched to more processed types, admittedly I have used bars a lot as well but I dislike them. Although heavier, I try my best to get my sugars and fats from fruit and nuts not sweet candy type stuff. I do enjoy bringing cheese on single day trips, and hard salty cheese on multiple day ones. But I never was the save every gram type of guy with the best of the best equipment. I usually had a pot, spoon, knife, camp stove etc in my pack because I love eating normal food when out haha. Part of the experience for me at least. If ultra light efficient type situations are the game, like races, training etc, I am probably the worst example of what to pack :upside_down_face:

Taiwan also produces loads of dried fruit. Mango, Guava, pineapple etc. Just hit the season for more fresh tuff that don’t use so many chemicals. Mango season is starting :heart_eyes:

The dried fruit here seems to be pretty expensive, at least the places I’ve looked, whereas the Costco seems like very good value. Anywhere worth checking? Are the morning markets cheaper?

I was thinking about taking some nuts and raisin mix with me, so I guess that counts as protein.

Nots are great for oils and all that. I like them.raisins aren’t my preffered dry fruit, UT they are cheap and easy to buy.

Local dried fruit naturally is more expensive than Costco. I haven’t found any cheaper. But it tastes better and the money goes to a local doing good work. But might be budget unfriendly. I always justified the food costs with camping for free and not sleeping in any hostels etc. That’s all individual preferences etc though. Based on taste and quality, locally produced dried fruit can be pretty amazing! I was on a big dragon fruit dried slice kick for over a year haha. Pineapple is a bit too acidic for my tummy when ex ercising and I don’t like Guava at all.

1 Like

Ever tried creatine?
Protein during cycling doesn’t make much sense to me. I would take them afterwards.
Mainly sugar and carbs would be taken as an energy source, because the stomach and colon are not working properly during exercises and physical activities.

1 Like

Yes, but creatine timing is not critical (just a dose every day).
BCAA do reduce fatigue for me when taken as a pre workout nutrient.
Although it could be just mental effect.

Window of time to take BCAAs

BCAA levels in your blood peak 30 minutes after consuming the supplement, but studies have yet to determine the optimal time to take it (12Trusted Source).

Additionally, research in cyclists has failed to show an improvement in physical performance from taking BCAAs during endurance exercise, though the supplements may help reduce mental fatigue (15Trusted Source).

1 Like

This is a good video, I’m kind of surprised the guy doesn’t really try to push their products over the alternatives.

I agree.

Not a cycler but I am a lifelong exerciser so fwiw.

Keep in mind that after eating proteins your stomach will begin to fill with hydrochloric acid to digest them. If you’re young and healthy then the lower esophageal sphincter at the top of your stomach may be strong enough to prevent that acid from fluxing out and up into your esophagus, but if you’re old like me it sometimes fails. For me, eating protein during a long ride would simply lead to unnecessary discomfort.

I’d stick with carbs and electrolytes and save the protein for after the ride. And plenty of it; your muscles will require some repair.

2 Likes

I am so greatly ignorant about this stuff. But I am getting older, not old yet, but I do notice more acid reflux now as I work. Not cycling anymore, but very hard physical work that leads to backups, and sometimes full on puke. I was always assuming drinking too much water at one time was thebcause as keeping up with sweat output is rrally hard here…but your post has me thinking. That’s good info, thanks.

1 Like

I agree. I am not sure if salt also counts as electrolyte but also can add salt and sugar into water. Salt and sugar enter the blood stream and muscle cells very quickly, so they are good short-term energy source. In case of emergency can also do it with pure glucose tablet.

Carbs I would see like a long-term energy source, relatively speaking, for the time of exercise, because they need little bit longer to break it down into glucose.

Actually, I would be interested about the correct timing for the big carb intake. I don’t really know how professional cyclists or triathletes would do it before a competition. Evening before or 1 - 2 hours before execution maybe? I would think too much too short before start would not be ideally.

I eat at a convenience store.
As a person past the half-century I’m not looking into making personal bests.
More into enjoying the scenery during the ride. Taking pics of nice things, views, etc. I still put in 100km rides, but there are multiple stops to rest and take in the environment of a convenience store.

1 Like

read this on carb loading dos and don’s.

1 Like

It absolutely is… electrolyte powders generally contain reasonably balanced levels of sodium, potassium and calcium. the body absorbs and excretes these based on ratios it prefers, and close to the levels found internally (bloodstream, tissue fluids, etc.). So best to use a source that is closer to this balanced ratio.

you may be deficient in one or other of the lesser abundant electrolytes in bloodstream:

Lack of magnesium is a contributor to cramps and fatigue, as is zinc. so the better electrolyte mixes also have magnesium, zinc, and some minor electrolytes as ell as sodium and potassium. We’re often deficient in magnesium by not eating enough green veg or even seaweed. (Magnesium is found in chlorophyll which makes these plants green).

electrolytes and glucose can be absorbed directly through the stomach wall, so absorption is faster than from sucrose or starch-based sugar supplements (oligos) that need to be broken down in the small intestine first before absorption is possible.

Fructose, another monosaccharide, is absorbed primarily in the small intestine, and has a low ceiling of absorption because it is a transporter-dependent process and tehre is not a lot of this transporter in your intestine (and even less in the stomach). So while it can be used by the body as energy, fructose is not good for endurance feeding purposes on the go. Honey is a major source of fructose, as are many fruits (hence the name), so less benefit as a cycling food. Mango has a lot of fructose, but twice as much sucrose and importantly, glucose as well. Dried mango glucose levels are among the highest of any fruits.

3 Likes

Good advice. Def too old for protein during a ride.

Absolutely, same here. But my question really pertains to what you eat, as opposed to where and, in my case, how you can avoid stuff that’s too ultra-processed.

I read somewhere people recommending potatoes, of all things: then I thought of the sweet potatoes at the convenience store and wondered if that, too, might be an option.

Sweet potatoes are very good food. You can even find them cooked on the street at local markets.

2 Likes

I took a look at my electrolyte tablets after I read your comments and I see they have magnesium, potassium, calcium, sodium and chloride, so pretty good, I guess.

Organic oatmeal with ground mixed nuts and soymilk and a banana before I head off, then a sweet potato a couple of hours later (Costco sells a bag of pre-cooked sweet potatoes in the frozen section that can be easily thawed/heated, sliced and put in foil and a small ziplock bag, although it’s a bit messy on the trail). On long tours a PBJ sandwich on the trail, too. Sometimes hi-carb energy bars, but I avoid them in very cold weather because they can get very hard and health insurance doesn’t cover dental work that well. Recovery meal including carbs and meat after I return.

I sometimes put a frozen sweet potato or two in beside the water sac of my camalback. By the time I get to my turn around point, they’re thawed and the water is still a little cool.

2 Likes