What do you feel about Shih Ming-teh?

A few years ago I went to the Taibei City Government building to hear a dialogue between Shi Mingde/Shih Ming-teh and Beijingese dissident Wei Jingsheng about their experiences as long-term political prisoners. The dialogue was introduced by Mayor Ma Yingjiu. Unfortunately there were not many people in attendance. I wonder whether a video of the dialogue can be obtained anywhere - it was very interesting.

A factual note: Shi Mingde was not the longest-serving political prisoner in Taiwan, nor was Nelson Mandela the longest-serving political prisoner under apartheid.

Didn’t Shi Ming De just run for Kaohsiung mayor and lose so badly he only got about 1% of the vote. Anyway, the other guy is right. Shi won’t get any votes from the Blues. They are disgustingly loyal. You might see Taiwanese speaking people vote for a Mandarin only speaking candidate, but Mandarin speakers never or very rarely cross lines and vote for a Taiwanese speaker. Maybe this is a KMT to plot to field a candidate that will take votes away from the Greens in the 2008 presidential election. Ma’s way of ensuring victory. What the DPP needs is for cutesy Wang Jing Ping or gansta James Soong run as an independant in a 3 way race against Ma and the DPP/TSU candidate. Maybe the DPP candidate can have a Hakka TSU VP running mate?

Regardless of him being a turncoat or a political whore I just cant comprehend how he can stand on the same stage as Ma and Soong… 25 years in prison and his ideals are out the window in the hope for a run at some faded political glory.

Not even that … just a pesonal vendetta against the DPP and CSB

https://web.archive.org/web/20050521012409/http://www.takungpao.com/news/2005-5-19/TM-403672.htm

Jeez, guess his dreams came through …

The Taiwanese Mandela … or is it the Taiwanese and Mandela?

I will be glad to see there are still a lot of people who have love and good wish to protect Taiwan as a clearn and nice country to live in. Mr. Shih demonstrates the positive side of good wish.

A very small percentage of the people in Taiwan are attending the red ant rally. A much larger number voted for Abian to be President of the ROC.

What are the red ants protecting Taiwan from? What is making Taiwan an unclean and not-so-nice place to live? What damage did Abian’s son-in-law POSSIBLY do, and how much damage did Abian’s wife POSSIBLY do?

Compare that with the possible damage of a red ant nationwide strike including labor unions, etc. Did Abian scare away foreign investors with false receipts? Or, does a nationwide work stoppage wreak more havoc?

Mr. Shit demonstrates the positive side of wishing not to wait for the next presidential election. That’s how democracy works. No need for protests to call for Abian to step down. He will step down when he is supposed to.

Lagging behind the other Tiger economies in Asia, no pandas at the zoo, USA alienating ROC even more, high unemployment, daily suicides…

Many believe CSB was never suppose to be president in the first place and don’t even acknowledge his second term win is legitimate. His lack luster performance has only motivate people to demostrate against him, not for him.

What I feel about Shi Ming-teh?

He was one of the charismatic leaders for democracy.
He was a political prisoner.
He was a stand up guy against KMT terror regime,
He was a ladies man.

I used to like him, and I used to think he could be president candidate - like Clinton. Now he has done his job, focus on corruption - let the party begin - let’s see where KMT and their leaders got the funds from.

Lagging behind the other Tiger economies in Asia… since Taiwan invests a much higher percentage than any of them into China’s economy (oops).

No pandas at the zoo… because that gift can not be a “domestic” one due to the existence of the ROC (a higher priority).

USA alienating ROC even more… because the panblue legislators won’t even discuss the arms procurement package.

High unemployment… if you consider 4% high.

Daily suicides… since the blue-dominated NCC didn’t do anything to de-sensationalize the media’s portrayal of suicide.

Many believe that CSB is supposed to be the President since he got the most votes. Today’s is not the first demonstration to support him and his policies (did you miss the rally to support his stance on the ASL? constitutional re-engineering rally? etc.).

Please AC, tell me again how the 2004 presidential election is still being contested in the courts. I love it when you do that. If you’ve finally wised up, then tell me the date when it was finally settled.

:blah: :wanker: :ponder: :ohreally: :roflmao: You really believe the nonsens your posting about, don’t you

So, according to you for a country to succeed it needs a Panda in the zoo? :ohreally: :roflmao:

Daily suicides…?

I think thats more the fault of the financial institutions and the suiciders themselfs … don’t fucking get so many debt on a load of credit cards … :loco:

Who appoints people to govern the finacial institution and overall economic health of Taiwan?

How about the “Panda Theory,” which states no two countries with at least 2 panda in their public zoo goes to war with one another.

SMT is not being controlled by the Blues. He’s green through and through. Why would a Green leader and all those green people attend the rally? Could it be everyone is fed up with CSB and this cronies stealing and lying.

In a democratic free economy the government doesn’t appoint people to run banks, it’s the banks that set their owne 'rules

Belgium has no Pandas, and I don’t think that Holland or France has a panda in their zoos … so according to your philosophy they should be at war …

Man you’re not even in Taiwan, are you? Are you Taiwanese?

And I ask the question AGAIN… what exactly is CSB guilty of? The blue camp has spent 6 years pissing, moaning and trying to find something on CSB. They didnt, dont know how to be an opposition party in a democracy and are jumping on anything they can. As I said elsewhere… if Bush’s son in law were accused of insider trading I dont think people would rally in the streets beating innocent people who were Bush supporters.

The KMT has mastered the art of lying and stealing and people like Soong keep on going. But with a media so incredibly biased, you dont hear much about it.

one other thing… just who is the corrupt Taiwan biz man that funded the purchase of Shih’s multi million dollar property? hang on, Shih is clean…

People are tired of the legal games CSB is playing. That’s why they have taken into the streets. This protest isn’t a Blue event. If CSB dealt with the Blue camp in a sincere and honest fashion, the public would have known about it through the press, which reports on everything. But CSB choose to behave the way he did and now even his own DPP is trying to drag him out through protest.

USA probably wouldn’t be in the mess it is now, if people stood up to Bush and his misadventures. But that is neither here nor there.

Well, well … another AC_fantasy :s

I agree. He should be sincere and reopen Green Island…Ma, Lien, Song and Shih can be the first residents.

alas, Taiwan is now a democracy and this cant happen. i cant help but think if we go back 10-15 years and if this were all happening with the parties involved reversed, all the protestors would be conveniently shipped off and tossed in prison. how far Taiwan has come but how it has to go before the blue camp truly accepts just how democracy functions.