What do you see yourself as?

What do you see yourself as in Taiwan?

• A tourist?
  • A visitor?
  • An expatriate?
  • A resident?
  • An immigrant?

0 voters

I was wondering how most foreigners here see themselves, more as expatriates, residents, visitors or immigrants to Taiwan.

Actually, I feel a little conflicted. :?

At any rate, I guess I am two-thirds resident, one-third immigrant. 8) :slight_smile:

An international resident, if such a designation makes any sense :laughing:

I agree 100% with BBC. :slight_smile:

I do, too!

Not a visitor or tourist but an expat - for the time being.

I guess ‘international resident’ would fall under the ‘resident’ category. Now, especially for those who voted “immigrant”, care to elaborate on your choice?

i’m conflicted too, there just weren’t enough options…
i feel like an expatriated visiting resident waiting for chinese bombs to start falling or for w to get out of the white house… or a better opportunity somewhere else.

What other options would you suggest? I considered putting others but didn’t want it to be too complicated. Only 20 people voted, so I suppose the vast majority doesn’t really care about this question.

[quote=“monkbucket”]i’m conflicted too, there just weren’t enough options…
i feel like an expatriated visiting resident waiting for chinese bombs to start falling or for w to get out of the white house… or a better opportunity somewhere else.[/quote]

I don’t care about W. The rest roughly fits me too.

I see myself as a great sage, casting my benevolent and all-knowing light into the darkness and misery in which all you poor wretches scrabble blindly through your futile and ultimately pointless existences.

Come, follow me, my brothers and sisters! Let me lead you forward, into the great and omniscient iridiscence that emanates from the armpit of Spiny Norman! Cast off all your earthly accoutrements and material belongings! (I can take care of all that stuff for you).

Bathe in the luxuriant richness that is the TRUE and PURE KNOWLEDGE that Spiny Norman has taken you under his all-protecting arm and that you’ll never have to worry about anything EVER AGAIN!

Remember, only I, and I alone, have the power to bring you closer to Spiny! Follow me!

Only, you didn’t include this category in your voting selection.

Resident.

Exfoliated U.S. citizen.

All hail Spiny Norman!

(Spiny, are you sure you’re for real. I thought Supreme Beings would be able to spell perfectly:}

Well, being supreme beings, they must be right. It’s the rest of us who have a problem.

No problem. But you Poagao… You are a ROC citizen. You should know what you are?

What is the difference between a resident and an expat if you are not holding an ROC passport?

I think an expat is someone who calls their adopted country home, for now.
While a resident is someone who calls their adopted country home.

Neither feeling the compulsion to immigrate.

But it could be that the term “expat” or “expatriate” can be classified semantically as more hoity toity sounding, and distinguishing the mutton from the lamb, so to speak.

I know what I am; I was just wondering if Hartzell’s claim (http://www.segue.com.tw/viewtopic.php?t=4274&start=0)that most foreigners here see themselves as immigrants held any water, thus the poll idea.

An immigrant is a word that refers to a person who has submitted an immigration application to the relevant government department of another country. It is accurate until such time as said immigrant attains permanent resident status. I’ll wager that few expats here are technically immigrants any more than Poagao is.

DK

Yer speakin’ out yer bum, mate. You continue to be considered an immigrant in North America even after you get full citizenship. Here’s what Merriam-Webster’s got to say:[quote]Main Entry: im

Well, if yer gonna get technical about it. But legally, once they are granted permanent resident status, immigrants are referred to as–you guessed it–permanent residents. At least until they pass their citizenship tests. Five points to anyone who can guess what they’re called then.

You can call 'em what you like, though. I won’t stop you.

DK