What do you think about tie3 pi2 wu1 (iron-skin huts)?

There are everywhere tie3 pi2 wu1 (Iron-skin huts) on rooftops of Taiwan’s houses. I estimate 70% of rooftops are covered with tie3 pi2 wu1. It’s even higher percentage in some areas. (See the 2nd photo.)

What do you think about them? What do they reflect Taiwanese people’s minds?

I’m Taiwanese and I would like to hear comments from international eyes.

Of course it’s ugly. It reflects nothing as much as a former absence of proper by-laws and the current lack of political will to apply them. That’s it. People everywhere will do ugly stupid things if you let them.

Go to Zhongli. You can see pigeon sheds on top of the rooftop shacks on top of the buildings. People will build on any unoccupied public space in an attempt to claim it for themselves - it’s just a form of theft.

Its just what poor people do in underdeveloped countries. Taiwan isn’t just Xinyi district, dude. Although I’m pretty sure at least one of those pics is in Xinyi.
Taiwan, of course, is just a shitstain in the Taiwan Strait. With MASSIVE delusions of grandeur. The GLORY of TAIWAAAAAN!!! :unamused:

They’re ugly, but they have a useful function if they’re open and accessible to all residents: they make the roof usable in the summer sun and in the rain. They keep also the sun from beating down on the top floor apartments.

I’ve visited some buildings with open structures (a roof but no walls), and found that they’re often used as common areas for the residents of the apartments below.

They make for interesting times when they take off in a typhoon.

And they do make part of the roof area usable for BBQ even when it rains!

[quote=“golf”]There are everywhere tie3 pi2 wu1 (Iron-skin huts) on rooftops of Taiwan’s houses. I estimate 70% of rooftops are covered with tie3 pi2 wu1. It’s even higher percentage in some areas. (See the 2nd photo.)

[/quote]
I used to live in one of these huts. I mentioned to one of my Taiwanese friends that if my father ever knew that I was living in basically a corrugated tin shack, he would be horrified and upset, but my Taiwanese friend couldn’t understand why. “But they’re strong. WE think it is a good thing to make a roof with,” was his reply.

I love the look of Taiwan. I can not stand being around the Hsinyi area which pretty much just looks like a cluster of colorless buildings. One thing I love about being in Taiwan is that people are still allowed to make a living for themselves…by running street stands (despite the police “chasing them away” every now and again) or building little shacks on the roof to rent out. I used to live in one of those until after six years the roof messed up. I still miss that place. I hate how people are forced to buy supermarket eggs which probably came from abused animals and then there are laws against keeping chickens. Everything is designed into forcing you to go to work to make a living, and there is a rule for every little thing, to pretty much restrict you to making a living the way they want you to make it. People should have chickens man! And shacks rock!

I don’t like them, ugly. That said I have lived in one before! I don’t think they are designed well either, hot in summer, cold in winter. They should be ripped down as they are illegal, unsafe and block access to the roof for residents. Much better stuff could be put in their place, such as solar heaters, gardens, proper roofs.

Hey…didn’t there used to be a Forumosa member with a name that was about this…“Rooftop dweller” or something like that?

Truly ugly. Everytime I fly up in the air and look down to the city view, I say “What the F…”…

Guess we own too much flexibility… Way too much that can be considered unlawful… But well, this flexibility I think also allows us to be quick acting on new ideas without too much care about limitation and regulation… But the tin shack idea is really a lousy one… Luckily it is formally illegal now; if anyone is found building a tin shack, you can tip it off anytime and police will come stop it.

[quote=“sandman”]Its just what poor people do in underdeveloped countries. Taiwan isn’t just Xinyi district, dude. Although I’m pretty sure at least one of those pics is in Xinyi.
Taiwan, of course, is just a shitstain in the Taiwan Strait. With MASSIVE delusions of grandeur. The GLORY of TAIWAAAAAN!!! :unamused:[/quote]
Shitstan? Is it bigger than a booger (Singapore) or earwax (Hong Kong)? I only know those shit places are in the leading status among the greater-Chinese countries in creating quality products of fashion, music, electronics, households, etc.

[quote=“Chris”]They’re ugly, but they have a useful function if they’re open and accessible to all residents: they make the roof usable in the summer sun and in the rain. They keep also the sun from beating down on the top floor apartments.

I’ve visited some buildings with open structures (a roof but no walls), and found that they’re often used as common areas for the residents of the apartments below.[/quote]
Yup. You made a good point. If they are more nicely designed, they are a good idea as you said. Probably change them into solar panels! :thumbsup:

[quote=“urodacus”]They make for interesting times when they take off in a typhoon.

And they do make part of the roof area usable for BBQ even when it rains![/quote]
:roflmao:

Yes! That’s what I like about Taiwan - Flexibility! It offers more room for possiblities and opportunities on good ideas. It’s not deniable some rooftop shacks are nicely designed, and can offer isolated/exotic atmosphere for thinking about complex matters. Probably that’s why you miss it?

But the ‘standard’ style of red, light-blue or light-green shacks are truly ugly!

Is there law against keeping chickens at home in Taiwan? Never heard of… :eh:

Yeah, ‘Rooftop.’ I don’t think he’s here anymore.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
If residents apply for putting on those things you mentioned with their shacks, I think they should be allowed.