What do you think of Mandarin?

Have you studied Mandarin in Taiwan?
How about the lesson?
Was it interesting for you?
Was it useful to learn Mandarin?
What kind of the lesson do you like?

I prefer the sound of Mandarin to the awful sounding Taiwanese. Mandarin spoken in Taiwan is much softer and easy on the ears.

3 Likes

You’ve posted this in the classifieds.

:popcorn:

2 Likes

It’s too hard, I Kant do it ;_;

Nah I like the way words and characters make more and more sense the more you learn it.
I don’t like that there’s very little mandarin language media that interests me, which I guess has held back my motivation. Compared to my weeb sister who’s fluent.

2 Likes

Yes.

As in:“What kind of lessons” ? I went to University.

Yes, very different from the other languages I can speak.

Well, I live in Taiwan, so learning Chinese is fairly useful, yes.

Lessons that don’t involve writing those Godforsaken random sticks that are supposed to represent something and all look alike but if you write a tiny dot in the incorrect way, then instead of wishing someone Happy Birthday on his social media you’re basically telling him his mother is a whore. Maybe not to THAT extent, but close enough.

1 Like

Not really. Learning mandolin has had little practical use for me. its good for Larry David and The Godfather covers, maybe the odd Gypsey tune. But overall I find that the Banjo is more flexible.

2 Likes

Hi,

• Study mandarin in ShiDa MTC for 6 months in a scholarship: bad experience, the first teacher was really racist, lazy and didn’t want to teach, the second teacher was nice but after when I started studying on my own I realized they teach really wrong. I just re-learn all the character and theory about characters for my own, the teacher only focus on you to memory the character so you pass the test, but they never explain anything.
  • Is was a scholarship, but the first teacher all the time say we take the money from Taiwan people and all kind of racist shit, was 3 hours lesson but she teaches around 1 hour or 1 and a half, I was really depressed in that time
  • Mandarin is useful if you live in Taiwan or China.
  • I like to read so I’m doing that for my own
1 Like

1 Like

The MTC experience depends heavily on how lucky you are in terms of the teacher you’re assigned. I got a meh teacher the first semester and a really excellent teacher the second semester. Learned so much.

Sadly I wouldn’t go back just because I can’t ensure that I’ll get my good teacher again and the possibility of having a bad teacher is too high. At this point in my learning it’s more beneficial to hire a private tutor, anyway.

2 Likes

i studied a little so far. it was a good experience because i found i learned chinese way quicker with classes than attempting it on my own. the teachers were mostly nice.

it was a bad experience due to the schools extremely unprofessional attitude when i went back to book more lessons. the staff was basically fighting with me to give me what i wanted, even though thats what i had last time and then after finally agreeing she didn’t send me the follow up email for my payment. literally turning away money.

school was TMI btw.

1 Like

Have you studied Mandarin in Taiwan?

Yes.

How about the lesson?

I mostly learn by myself. I partly learn from people around me.

Was it interesting for you?

Yes.

Was it useful to learn Mandarin?

Yes.

What kind of the lesson do you like?

I like learning characters to read.

Because I work as a assistant at the cram school.
I have heart the words about our teacher was teaching Mandarin.
But I think I never speak Mandarin like that.
So I am curious to know does it work in their life.
For example: I had learned English for a long time in school.
I can know what my English teacher says,but I can’t know what then native speakers say.:sweat_smile:
So I feel the lesson doesn’t work for me.

If I could decide how’s the lesson,I wish I could practice more with native speaks,not only teacher.

I have heard Mandarin spoken in Taiwan is not very clear so that it’s difficult to know.
For example: ć°±é€™æšŁć­ïŒŒsounds like 氱醏 :joy:

Good teacher is really really important.
My English teacher taught me only for the business
If I am good at the test,she will have more students because everyone think she can teach the students who had high scores.
That’s a bad experience.

Have I ?

It’s been moved to it’s rightful resting place.

1 Like

I tried many ways for improving my English.But I don’t find a good way yet.
I want to talk to real one,not a book:joy:

What do I think of Mandarin? I actually prefer Clementine.

Kumquat?

Quite cold hardy, but a little tart for my taste.