What do you think of Mandarin?

May you share your way for learning ?
Because I want to improve my English, but I can’t find a god way.

1 Like

say what?

i went to the class.

I would say movies and podcast without subtitles, from US and from UK, get both. And talk with native speaker. Also read a lot. Where are you from?

1 Like

I am Taiwanese. I will try it,thanks~

I learned by studying myself for three years, music, kids books, movies etc and made very very slow progress. After that my Chinese was much weaker than your English is (based on your writing here.) Then I spent one month in total immersion in a town where no one speaks a word of English and it hit a tipping point and I was able to communicate. Then over the course of about a year I became fluent. Then I stopped getting better and have been at the same level for the last seven years.

Answers to your questions are
no
not applicable
not applicable
yes, learning a new language is super interesting and Chinese even more so than most.
yes, being able to communicate is super useful in everyday life
If I was going to study it now Id like a lesson that had interesting cultural content (outside of just language). For example breaking down the lyrics of the latest Jolin Tsai song. Id also like to learn to read, as my reading is close to non existent.

1 Like

I tried to improve my English speaking skills in many ways.But it was not useful for me. I think you give me a good idea, I need to think in English in my life.Maybe someday it will hit a tipping point and I will be able to communicate like you. Thanks for your kindness. Learned a lot from you.

1 Like

Reading is great of course. I remember when mum gave me Harry Potter and at the start I could only read one page a night but as I went I got better and better.
Actually the internet is a truly great resource for English learners, not matter your interest there’s something for you. You can have quality discussions in English here or on 4chan :wink: also online games if you’re into them force you to communicate in English.

1 Like

:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

2 Likes

Thank you for your advice . I really should force me to communicate in English. Beacause I waste too much time to think how to learn English. I think you are right,and five me an interesting way. Thank you.

You are welcome. I’ve heard the best way to learn is to not worry about making mistakes. And you learn by observing others.
Also, you should say “force myself to…” and "think about… "

2 Likes

Thank you~ You are so nice.