What do you think of this case? Pit bull put down

Now Pit Bulls have quite often savaged people and even killed. I personally wouldnt keep one around. Or a number of other dangerous dogs. But what do you think of this particular case? Was it justified to put this dog down? It was a pit bull, which seemed to put it in a bad light. IT did bite a vet tech and also a friend of the owner when he came over for a visit at the place where the dog was residing. In other words. He bit a vet tech during a vet visit (when animals are known to be agitated or excited more easily) and bit someone visiting. Dogs are territorial and you could get bitten at some dogs domain. I have a few times. Therefore I question whether it was right to kill this particular animal. Was he in fact unduly dangerous. One of his owners sprung him from detention but they were caught. The owner is in trouble and the dog has since been put to death. I dont think it was right in this case, what say you?

cbs5.com/pets/pit.bull.stolen.2.1691005.html
cbs5.com/local/condemned.dog.eut … 99480.html

I remember when I was living in Phoenix a pit bull attacked and killed an 8 month old baby.

Yes as I said, is a dangerous breed and I wouldnt own one, but not all of them are killers just because they are pitbulls.

I have no problem with the authorities taking away and killing vicious dogs.

Remember this case in which the husband and wife lawyers who owned a giant dog that killed a lady in the Bay Area were found guilty of murder and manslaughter?
sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c … 139271.DTL

Lot’s of people get killed by vicious dogs. Too bad for the dogs that their owners raised them to attack and kill, but innocent people should be protected from such needless hazards. And the dog owners should be suitably punished, if they know of the risk and fail to act accordingly.

I despise pit bulls. Something about that skull fills me with an impulse to extend the perimeter.

A dog’s temperament isn’t necessarily defined by its breed. Great Danes used to be vicious boar hunters, but they’ve had that bred out of them. And one of America’s most famous dogs was Petey, a pit bull. pitbullsontheweb.com/petbull/pete.php

Depends on how badly mauled the vet assistant was and the friend who visited. But generally speaking I would say those two incidents alone shouldnt mean a death sentence for this animal. MY cat has bitten me and a few other people on visits to the vet (he hates em with a passion) and has bitten a few other people too outside of the vets office . At a pub, cafe and at my house. He was a fairly dangerous cat, in that you should be aware of how he feels bout you before you pick him up or even pet him. But he was also the sweetest and most adorable cat anyone could have to family. Wouldve been a crime to have had him put away for biting. Granted a cat is not a big danger like a big dog in any sense of the word.

We should not kill a pit bull just because he is a pit bull. I lived with a lady that had a HUGE rottweiler. This is also a very dangerous breed, but this animal was extremely sweet. Could he bite you in half? YES, but chances are that he wont. My persian cat and him were best buds. They would hang out with each other all around the house. You see one, you will see the other near by.

Biting can be fixed, but in stressful circumstances, anything can happen.

For me, if a dog is known to be a biter (not an attacker), then there need to be restrictions in place so that the animal can’t hurt anybody else. I have a dog sitting next to me right now who has bitten four people, so he will stay with me and get socialized with a muzzle until he will not bite again (I was one of the people bitten, but he now lets me do absolutely anything with him and doesn’t so much as try to nip me–these things can be fixed; we just need to extend that behaviour towards people other than me).

But many of these dogs shouldn’t exist in the first place. While I’m not calling for specific breeds to be culled, I do think that certain breeds, prone to causing serious injury to others, should be phased out–that is, we stop our artificial breeding of such animals.

Just ignore them and they won’t bite you. :wink:

The biting came from being touched.

I am going to be a bit hard on everybody here now, sorry in advance…
i think Pitbulls are one of the best breeds ever, they are extremely loyal, they can be raised since puppies to play with kids and they can be extremely social with humans, they do tend to have a little territorialism in their blood, so their owners have to be a bit more careful when near to other dogs if they havent been properly socialized…

why Pitbulls have such bad image? its because of all you ignorant people who judge a breed because a couple of isolated facts…
did you know that the dogs who attack the most in the world are chihuahuas and doberman pinchers and the so popular Schnauzer… actually almost all the other dogs have more attack reports than pitbulls worldwide…
why no one talks about that? well because out of 10 bites of a small breed dog you may get upset or injured one… and maybe not even injured… i would dear to say that most dog owners worldwide own a small fighting killer vicious dog in their houses who would attack any one that comes over… how they get away with that… with a lame sorry… please put the dog in the kitchen so it doesnt bother any more…
all that is because lack of discipline in the house… but let one pitbul pet (that lives with a family and has not been trained to fight) bite someone… big deal… news and all the stuff that u can imagine… and actually in many cases out of ignorance if any big strong looking dog as for example dobermans, rottweilers, and other similar ones attacks someone only the owner and maybe the police will know what breed of dog it was… but for the neighbors and others it was a vicious pitbull who almost killed that poor guy…
come one… give the dogs a break…

and dont generalize fighting dogs with pitbulls… there are many breeds that are trained as fightting dogs… one of the cheapest ones is the pibull, but you can do it with a Fila or several other very strong dogs… it would be the same as saying that all Americans are bad people because a guy got killed in the Bronx… and since the attacker was American then all of them should be judge under the same situation…
or maybe i am a drug dealer because i am colombian… guys grow up and study before opening your mouths to criticize a very gentle dog as the pitbull…

please dont take it personal and learn from my words… dont judge them, love them… they will love you back !!!

Please dont remove my post as it may teach something to a few people, and sorry if someone got offended …
:bravo: :bravo: :bravo: :bravo: :bravo:

I mean the Pitbulls.

omerojs, I had been looking after a female pit bull for several months until she got adopted recently, and she was absolutely the sweetest dog of the bunch when it comes to people, but very aggressive to other dogs at feeding time (she has a pancreas problem, which means the food goes straight through and leaves her hungry all the time).

The thing is, there is no such thing as a pit bull; what I mean is, they are man-made. While they are far less likely to bite, when they do, the injuries are far worse, and more likely to be fatal than with most other dogs. Should we keep producing an artificial breed that has the capacity to do so much damage–especially when they are prone to congenital disorders as a result of our selective breeding?

I believe that the whole notion of ‘purebred’ is wrong, and we have created monsters who are living with severe disabilities, deformities, and disease because of our interference, and who are constantly abused because of their capacity to do serious harm if not adequately controlled.

I love Norma, the pit bull we just adopted out. I wouldn’t want anything bad to happen to her. I just believe we don’t need more dogs like her.

[quote=“Stray Dog”]

The thing is, there is no such thing as a pit bull; what I mean is, they are man-made.[/quote]
Sorry Stray Dog, I’m not trying to be argumentative here, but aren’t all domestic dog breeds “man-made”? :ponder:

[quote=“Stray Dog”]Biting can be fixed, but in stressful circumstances, anything can happen.

For me, if a dog is known to be a biter (not an attacker), then there need to be restrictions in place so that the animal can’t hurt anybody else. I have a dog sitting next to me right now who has bitten four people, so he will stay with me and get socialized with a muzzle until he will not bite again (I was one of the people bitten, but he now lets me do absolutely anything with him and doesn’t so much as try to nip me–these things can be fixed; we just need to extend that behaviour towards people other than me).

But many of these dogs shouldn’t exist in the first place. While I’m not calling for specific breeds to be culled, I do think that certain breeds, prone to causing serious injury to others, should be phased out–that is, we stop our artificial breeding of such animals.[/quote]
you are doing a good job of that in Taiwan so far are you not? :wink:

[quote=“jimipresley”][quote=“Stray Dog”]

The thing is, there is no such thing as a pit bull; what I mean is, they are man-made.[/quote]
Sorry Stray Dog, I’m not trying to be argumentative here, but aren’t all domestic dog breeds “man-made”? :ponder:[/quote]
yes but he certainly knows that. I may not agree with everything Stray dog says or does but he really does have a very deep knowledge of the canine. That is without doubt. I am sure you were joking with that comment. He is well aware all dogs are man made.

He is likely referring to breeding strictly to type through line breeding and inbreeding. Particularly those dogs bred for the fighting pits.

[quote=“Stray Dog”]omerojs, I had been looking after a female pit bull for several months until she got adopted recently, and she was absolutely the sweetest dog of the bunch when it comes to people, but very aggressive to other dogs at feeding time (she has a pancreas problem, which means the food goes straight through and leaves her hungry all the time).

The thing is, there is no such thing as a pit bull; what I mean is, they are man-made. While they are far less likely to bite, when they do, the injuries are far worse, and more likely to be fatal than with most other dogs. Should we keep producing an artificial breed that has the capacity to do so much damage–especially when they are prone to congenital disorders as a result of our selective breeding?

I believe that the whole notion of ‘purebred’ is wrong, and we have created monsters who are living with severe disabilities, deformities, and disease because of our interference, and who are constantly abused because of their capacity to do serious harm if not adequately controlled.

I love Norma, the pit bull we just adopted out. I wouldn’t want anything bad to happen to her. I just believe we don’t need more dogs like her.[/quote]
What was the history behind her do you know?

Good Boar hunters are not vicious dogs. You have never been boar hunting with dogs obviously. Vicous boar hunters get killed quickly, Boar hunters must be brave, intelligent and have high endurance. It must know not to widely attack and bite but only take hold at the right position on the boar and at the right time. It does this with confidence it is not vicious. Ever seen what happens to a dog when it bites a boar’s balls? Not nice for the dog. Vicious is not a great adjective to descrine a hunting dog that is better reserved for badger baiting dogs such as terriers.

omerojs, I’m not the least bit offended by your post. Nor did I generalize about breeds of dogs. In fact I posted a link to a story about two dogs of a strange breed I never heard of before that made big news in California for killing a lady. I don’t care what breed the dog is. My only concerns are that people should not train dogs to viciously attack and kill people, if a dog owner recognizes his dog is vicious and dangerous he should take extreme measures to make sure that doesn’t happen in order to protect innocent people from potentially serious bodily injury or death, and if the dog owner fails to do so the authorities should take the dog away and euthanize it. As I said, I’m sorry for the dog – that it was raised to be a killer by its moronic owner – but public safety trumps the life of a killer dog.

Ha! Thanks for getting my back, fenlander. :smiley:

Of course, all breeds are man-made; we were talking about pit bulls in this thread.

Actually, you could argue that domestic dogs are man-made; recent research indicates that dogs are simply puppy-like wolves, bred selectively by humans for the cute factor that wolves don’t have. This explains why dogs bark but wolves don’t (wolf cubs do), and why dogs are more playful through adult life than wolves. So, dogs are selectively bred wolves.

That selective breeding has been going on for 15,000 years. Our penchant for producing animals that simply would die out if left to their own devices has only been producing freaks of nature for a couple of hundred years at most, including our friend the pit bull. With that in mind, I believe we should call our cruel experiment a day and phase these animals out–they never belonged here in the first place.

The dogs that are pit bulls could have been born a more acceptable type of dog if their parents hadn’t been a pair of disease-prone, hard-biting, relentless animals of the same breed. If a pit bull breeds with a weaker dog, would the off-spring be better or worse off for not being a purebred pit bull? That’s the question.