What do you think of Tsai's Go South policy?

Change our time zone? That’s a new one on me. A quick look at a world time map shows that we are fine in the time zone we currently have - we are the same time as the Philippines and Western Australia, which are directly south of us. Furthermore, by coincidence today is the autumn equinox, THE perfect date for checking if we are in the “right” time zone. So I just checked now…for today, Taipei sunrise is at 5:43 AM and sunset is 5:47 PM. The ideal “correct time zone” means you want as close as possible for sunrise to be at 6:00 AM and sunset at 6:00 PM during the equinox. If we switched to Korea’s time zone, today we’d have sunrise at 6:43 AM and sunset at 6:47 PM, which is further from the ideal. Not that it makes a huge difference in the scheme of things, but it seems obvious to me that switching the time zones just to be different from China is rather petty and childish…then again, it’s just the sort of thing that the DPP would do.

Maybe we should go off the metric system too for the same reason - use pounds, feet, inches and degrees Fahrenheit, to be like America. Well, good news - Taiwan’s household electric appliances use 110 volts AC and China uses 220 volts - we really outfoxed them there (unfortunately, you have to give the KMT credit for that one). To be different from China, maybe Tsai should change the law so that we drive on the left side of the road instead of the right (admittedly, many Taiwanese already do that, so they’d hardly notice the change).

Forgive me for being blunt, but that is totally insane.

Is there anything you TI guys won’t do just to score some petty political points?

Maybe we ought to consider some real reforms. You know, like banning ractopamine, withdrawing our application to join the TPP, and putting Tongyin Pinyin out of its misery. If Tsai would do that, I’d applaud her.