What does it mean for Barry Bonds?

The wheels of justice turn slowly.

[quote]A federal grand jury has indicted Roger Clemens on charges of making false statements to Congress about his use of performance-enhancing drugs.

The 19-page indictment charges Clemens with three counts of making false statements and two counts of perjury in connection with his February 2008 testimony before the House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform. According to the United States attorney’s office, Clemens faces a maximum sentence of 30 years in prison and a $1.5 million fine, but under the current sentencing guidelines, a conviction would likely bring 15-21 months.

Clemens’s allegedly false testimony came in a public hearing in which Clemens and his former trainer Brian McNamee, testifying under oath, directly contradicted each other about whether Clemens had used the banned substances.

“Americans have a right to expect that witnesses who testify under oath before Congress will tell the truth,” United States Attorney Ronald C. Machen Jr. said in a statement announcing the indictment. “Our government cannot function if witnesses are not held accountable for false statements made before Congress. . . .

One intriguing piece of evidence in the Clemens case were the used syringes that McNamee said he stored in his basement after using them to inject Clemens with drugs.

Those syringes, and related drug paraphernalia, were handed over by McNamee to federal authorities, who tested them for the presence of both performance-enhancers and Clemens’s DNA.

The New York Times reported last year that the tests revealed the presence of steroids. The Washington Post reported that authorities detected the presence of Clemens’ DNA. The test results were presumably presented to the grand jury[/quote]

You don’t say :s

[quote=“Mother Theresa”]The wheels of justice turn slowly.

[quote]A federal grand jury has indicted Roger Clemens on charges of making false statements to Congress about his use of performance-enhancing drugs.

The 19-page indictment charges Clemens with three counts of making false statements and two counts of perjury in connection with his February 2008 testimony before the House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform. According to the United States attorney’s office, Clemens faces a maximum sentence of 30 years in prison and a $1.5 million fine, but under the current sentencing guidelines, a conviction would likely bring 15-21 months.

Clemens’s allegedly false testimony came in a public hearing in which Clemens and his former trainer Brian McNamee, testifying under oath, directly contradicted each other about whether Clemens had used the banned substances.

“Americans have a right to expect that witnesses who testify under oath before Congress will tell the truth,” United States Attorney Ronald C. Machen Jr. said in a statement announcing the indictment. “Our government cannot function if witnesses are not held accountable for false statements made before Congress. . . .

One intriguing piece of evidence in the Clemens case were the used syringes that McNamee said he stored in his basement after using them to inject Clemens with drugs.

Those syringes, and related drug paraphernalia, were handed over by McNamee to federal authorities, who tested them for the presence of both performance-enhancers and Clemens’s DNA.

The New York Times reported last year that the tests revealed the presence of steroids. The Washington Post reported that authorities detected the presence of Clemens’ DNA. The test results were presumably presented to the grand jury[/quote][/quote]

Good god time is flying by. I could hardly believe it’s been 7 years since this mess with Barry Bonds all began.

Seven Years After Testifying, Bonds Set To Go On Trial Monday

[quote]Starting on Monday, a jury will be selected in the very same court house where Bonds testified all those years ago to determine whether he broke the law with four short answers totalling nine words: “Not that I know of,” “No, no,” “No,” and “Right.”

Each of the charges – four counts of making false statements to the grand jury and one count of obstruction – carry a possible sentence of up to 10 years, although federal guidelines make a total of 15-to-21 months more probable if Bonds is convicted.[/quote]
I still don’t believe for a second that Bonds will spend one day in jail.

Too bad. I like Manny Ramirez. He’s really different. But, in some ways he’s not.

Manny Ramirez retired from baseball Friday instead of facing a 100-game suspension for testing positive for a performance-enhancing drug . . .

bats.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/04/0 … sitive/?hp

That’s a shock. I thought it was a joke at first.

Can anyone explain this one to me?

What drugs could enhance a player’s performance at bridge? Why are bridge players being tested? What on earth are the drugs this guy tested positive for? Body building?

Weird

Drugs that are used to focus, anti anxiety, anti add. Modafinil?

Now I’ve looked into the article that is really weird.

Blood doping…Caught in the act…This is probably the main go to doping method for high level athletes for years !

1 Like

Those endurance athletes die young.

Since you can have hormone therapy and compete as the opposite sex. Why not have a 38 year old having hormone replacement therapy to have the testosterone of a 22 year old? This seems more logical.

1 Like

Probably suffers from hypogonadism and wants to avoid risks associated with TRT.

Clomifene is sometimes used in the treatment of male hypogonadism as an alternative to testosterone replacement therapy.[16] It has been found to increase testosterone levels by 2- to 2.5-fold in hypogonadal men.[16]

1 Like

At around 40, you might have “normal” levels of testosterone for your age. But it would be considered low and hypogonadism for a 20 year old. I really don’t see why men around that age wouldn’t want to go on TRT.

Clomifene has a lot of sides like hot flashes and being very emotional.

It’s certainly not going to enhance his performance at bridge.

All the men I know who go on it feel great. Sex life is good, more energy, better sleep, better muscle tone and body composition. I’d probably go into around mid 30s myself.