What does it mean to be Taiwanese, Part 2

Not sure I agree with being so hostile towards AC tetsuo but it seems to me that this was originally the brainchild of a Taiwanese media personality, writer or something. But I suppose it’s origin is lost to us now…sigh. What a loss.

Well, the “twit” I mentioned wasn’t meant to be AC, but he’s being a tool and deserving the snideness.

If one feels the need to reach into the ether and pull the other guy out to wring his neck, we can thank the Forumosan admin for
It’s not worth it to see your BP in low earth orbit Tetsuo.

You think this is in orbit? You should’ve seen me earlier today, nitroglycerine didn’t have squat on me :laughing:

Can you name any recent major marketing brands that end in the “ee” sound trying to convey prestige and value to the adult market within the English language.

Don’t try and twist this AC. You’ve been busted on the urban legend of “-ese is a derogatory racial ending” thing, and now you’re trying to red herring your way out of it.

Yellow Cartman,

That’s really a good way to help people’s perception that the pan-Greens are not a bunch of uneducated hicks prone to violence.

[quote=“ac_dropout”]Yellow Cartman,

That’s really a good way to help people’s perception that the pan-Greens are not a bunch of uneducated hicks prone to violence.[/quote]
Lucky the two ideas are utterly unrelated.

Nice of you to decide what this thread has agreed on, ac. :unamused:

If you’ll look back, you’ll find that we were discussing what it means to be Taiwanese. It’s you and Zeugmite, who have insisted on talking about what you imagine to be the ‘new Taiwanese identity’ created by hardcore TIers. But that’s not what the rest of us are talking about.

As for the ‘ese’ in ‘Taiwanese’ being derogatory, this is way off-topic and has been discussed elsewhere on Forumosa before. To summarise, the theory that the ‘ese’ suffix was derogatory seems to have spread on Taiwanese message baords by people with little grasp of English. On a previous thread, someone posted an article by a linguist which convincingly refutes this. If you wish to discuss this further, please find the old thread or start a new one. Not on this thred anyway.

Back to Zeugmite, who at least talks some sense. Yes, in New Zealand they write ‘New Zealand European’ on census papers and stuff. It’s an issue of cutlural identity. But this does not mean ‘European’. It refers to the area of origin of anscestors. Basically, it’s a polite way of saying ‘white’. But that is New Zealand European, not European. Once again, anyone saying “I’m European” would be laughed at.

The point is, you said that being “not Chinese” can not be part of a viable Taiwanese identity. Sure it can. “I am Taiwanese”. “I am not Chinese”. Just as in New Zealand “I am a New Zealander”, “I am not European” or “I am not English”. Or in South Africa “I am South African, I am not Dutch”. Or in Mexico “I am Mexican, I am not Spanish”. All of these are perfectly reasonable, just as “I am Taiwanese, I am not Chinese” is.

Brian

AC - [url]Do you feel offended by the words laowai and adoua?
[color=Red]Owned[/color]

No, not you! If everybody was like you in Taiwan, then that’s a different story. Come to think of it, TIers have seriously discussed “mutting” Taiwan (I believe that’s the word they used) by banning mainlanders while removing restrictions to Vietnamese, Filipino to come to Taiwan and of course, whites and Japanese coming to Taiwan and “breeding” (also the word they used), all to “speed up” de-Sinicization. So you see from this example that you bring “non-Chinese-ness” to the table. Conversely, there is “Chinese-ness” prevalent in Taiwan to such an extent that TIers could only think of such drastic measures to remove it. Thus, you are the wrong example to use.

It’d be a relief to see the whole world mutted.

Actually it was brought up by a linguist that noted that it as Anglo-Saxon chauvinism. Also in the same line of reasoning that our current standard world map also favors Europeans. Very liberal acedemic political interpretation, in trying to level to playing field for perception equality.

Given our injection of European identity in the conversation, is it plausible to say

“I am Italian, I am not European”
“I am French, I am not European”
“I am German, I am not European”
“I am Danish, I am not European”

I would be very hard press to find these statements plausible, unless there were some extreme circumstances in the individual

Well, these three are usually said by TIers in the second person “You are…”

Nothing unreasonable about saying “I am Taiwanese not Chinese”. Saying “I am Taiwanese not Asian” would be unreasonable. The second sentence is more analogous to your “I am Italian not European” example.

AC perhaps you are especially fond of your countries past relationship to China and wish to continue identifing yourself in terms of that past relationship. Others might not share that sentiment and are seeking to forge a new identity. The fact that they are making the effort is itself proof of that identity. It requires no further proof. The difference between you and the TIs is that their focus is on what they want to become while yours is on what was. Which do you suppose is more confident and positive?

[quote=“ac_dropout”]Given our injection of European identity in the conversation, is it plausible to say

“I am Italian, I am not European”
“I am French, I am not European”
“I am German, I am not European”
“I am Danish, I am not European”

I would be very hard press to find these statements plausible, unless there were some extreme circumstances in the individual

Just ask Dangermouse if he’s “British and European”.

[quote=“zeugmite”]
Well, these three are usually said by TIers in the second person “You are…”[/quote]

Bloody hell enough all ready. When you actually do succeed on the rare (and I mean rare) occasion of making a well laid out argument or informative post, you manage to throw it all to crap everytime by adding in some “Taidu will bring the apocolypse wahhhhhh” detritus.

What the "TIer"s said, whoever you are actually refering to, has absolutely nothing to do with this argument as it unfold here on forumosa. Just as I don’t discount everything you say because XinHua said something ridiculous (which neeeever happens right?) UNLESS your using them for support. It’s called sticking to the argument, which you and AC, amongst others, have a huge issue with.

[quote=“Bu Lai En”]

Back to Zeugmite, who at least talks some sense. Yes, in New Zealand they write ‘New Zealand European’ on census papers and stuff. It’s an issue of cutlural identity. But this does not mean ‘European’. It refers to the area of origin of anscestors. Basically, it’s a polite way of saying ‘white’. But that is New Zealand European, not European. Once again, anyone saying “I’m European” would be laughed at. [/quote]

Also, while this might be off topic, then the risk of war with Europe or the UK or whoever, if New Zealand sewered its last formal ties with the UK and became a republic would rather limited, I assume.

I think the odds of the UK being able to even find NZ on a map, let alone blow it up, would be pretty small. Not even worth a lazy five bucks.