What does 麥豪洨 mean? I think it is a Taiwanese saying

Hi, I was chatting with a Taiwanese friend, and she type 麥豪洨. I didn’t get a chance to ask her, but what does it mean? Google couldn’t translate it.

Don’t lie to me (I think)

short story: quit exaggerating, stop bull shitting me, you’re kidding, no way, that can’t true, really?

long story: mài-hau-siâu (勿嘐潲)

mài 勿 is don’t, that’s pretty simple and straight forward

嘐 hau is a word that’s been used since before Confucius’ time. 《說文》誇語也 , the Han dictionary says it means exaggeration. It also means rooster call, big, or rhetoric that’s full of air. It is used in 詩經 (Confucius’s collection of poems from Zhou dynasty) 《風雨》二章:“風雨瀟瀟,雞鳴膠膠. Mencius used it in 其志嘐嘐然. Other characters used for the meaning of 嘐 are 謬 and 驕.

Hau already conveys the actual meaning of the word, siâu is only there to stress the point. siâu literally means sperm. Any phrase using the word siâu is considered rude. Think of it as add the F’ing to “you are kidding me.” It is rude, but people use it all the time as well. Other examples of siâu:

㤉潲[gê-siâu]、孽潲[gia̍t-siâu]、衰潲[sue-siâu]、插潲[tshap-siâu]、吵潲[tshá-siâu]、茹潲[jû-siâu]

and a word that’s made it into everyday usage even for Mandarin only Taiwanese 啥潲[siánn-siâu]/[sánn-siâu], commonly written in mandarin as in 三小.

something seems to be wrong with the forum, hence the double post…

So, would you also say that, depending on the context, it could be anything from an exaggerated expression of surprise or friendly ribbing to angry rejection? :ponder:

So, would you also say that, depending on the context, it could be anything from an exaggerated expression of surprise or friendly ribbing to angry rejection? :ponder:[/quote]

yes. it’s not always a real accusation of someone lying.

So, would you also say that, depending on the context, it could be anything from an exaggerated expression of surprise or friendly ribbing to angry rejection? :ponder:[/quote]

yes. it’s not always a real accusation of someone lying.[/quote]
Delightful, how things are the same wherever humans use laguage… :wink:

Ha ha
it’s a very very special and Taiwan-only usage.
He is definitely a young man.

In fact, Taiwan has two languages, you already know the Chinese
the other one is
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taiwanese_Hokkien

it can’t be written, so “麥豪洨” just take its pronunciation
麥 mài / ㄇㄞˋ
豪 háo / ㄏㄠˊ
洨 xiáo / ㄒㄧㄠˊ

it means “don’t lie to me”, “don’t patronize me”
and mostly with a little joking tone when used in internet.

It can be written, and I’ve written it just 5 post above your post. Taiwanese Holo is beautiful and classical, phrases and words used can usually be traced back to the works of Confucius or other classical texts.

the so called it can’t be written is either Han chauvinism (claiming that romanji doesn’t count as writing, only Hanji is writing), or just ignorant of the written history of Holo, which is sadly a side effect of KMT brain washing.

[quote=“hansioux”][quote=“CodinCat”]

it can’t be written, so “麥豪洨” just take its pronunciation
[/quote]

It can be written, and I’ve written it just 5 post above your post. Taiwanese Holo is beautiful and classical, phrases and words used can usually be traced back to the works of Confucius or other classical texts.

the so called it can’t be written is either Han chauvinism (claiming that romanji doesn’t count as writing, only Hanji is writing), or just ignorant of the written history of Holo, which is sadly a side effect of KMT brain washing.[/quote]

Hear hear! I was always baffled right when I got to Taiwan that everyone told me “Taiwanese can’t be written.” “But,” I would say, “how come that song you just sang at KTV had characters at the bottom?” “Oh, that’s different.” “Why?” “There is no why. That’s just how it is.”

錯誤的概念

[quote=“Hokwongwei”]

Hear hear! I was always baffled right when I got to Taiwan that everyone told me “Taiwanese can’t be written.” “But,” I would say, “how come that song you just sang at KTV had characters at the bottom?” “Oh, that’s different.” “Why?” “There is no why. That’s just how it is.”

錯誤的概念[/quote]

it also baffles me how so many KMT brain washing can easily be disproved by simple logic or basic knowledge, yet people rather stay complacent with what they were told…

I’m sure I’ll get blasted for saying so (here’s looking at you, MM), but the KMT under Ma is a different beast from the KMT of the Chiang eras. This is like talking about “pro-segregation rhetoric in the Republican Party” – everyone realizes that modern-day Republicans (at least all the rational ones) don’t support segregation as the party’s ideas and motivations have shifted over the years. I think the same is true of the KMT, especially after 8 years of DPP leadership.

Under the Chiangs, the government tried to squash “方言” usage and promote a unified Chinese identity – what users on this board appropriately title Han Chauvinism – but that push has been almost entirely marginalized since the Lee Teng-hui era.

[quote=“Hokwongwei”]I’m sure I’ll get blasted for saying so (here’s looking at you, MM), but the KMT under Ma is a different beast from the KMT of the Chiang eras. This is like talking about “pro-segregation rhetoric in the Republican Party” – everyone realizes that modern-day Republicans (at least all the rational ones) don’t support segregation as the party’s ideas and motivations have shifted over the years. I think the same is true of the KMT, especially after 8 years of DPP leadership.

Under the Chiangs, the government tried to squash “方言” usage and promote a unified Chinese identity – what users on this board appropriately title Han Chauvinism – but that push has been almost entirely marginalized since the Lee Teng-hui era.[/quote]

Obviously not as extreme, but they have been forced to be a different beast by the power of civil society. But don’t think their chauvinism isn’t there. Case in point. Within a year of regaining the presidency, official websites and papers began to refer to Taiwanese and Hakkanese as Chinese dialects and not languages. The groups also became sub-Han ethnic groups and not just ethnic groups. This change was also apparent in tourism and cultural literature.

Recent attempts to change education, especially history, are also clear indications the leopard has not changed its spots.

Democrats and Republicans have switch their positions entirely during the mid 1900s… it used to be the Democrats that were pro-segregation, at least for the Dixiecrats before they broke away. I don’t think such drastic changes can happen to Taiwanese politics, at least not in terms of national identity.

[quote=“Hokwongwei”] – everyone realizes that modern-day Republicans (at least all the rational ones) don’t support segregation as the party’s ideas and motivations have shifted over the years. I think the same is true of the KMT, especially after 8 years of DPP leadership.

Under the Chiangs, the government tried to squash “方言” usage and promote a unified Chinese identity – what users on this board appropriately title Han Chauvinism – but that push has been almost entirely marginalized since the Lee Teng-hui era.[/quote]

Judging from Ma and KMT’s track records of killing/slashing fundings of Holo/Hakka/Aboriginal policies/project, I don’t think they’ve changed one bit. They just know it’s not PC to bash “方言” (dialects) if they want to win elections. Even if some project survived their hands, comparably fewer new projects aimed to promote the use of native languages were created during Ma’s rule.

Heck, if anyone watches the Aboriginal Channel like me will notice it used to be filled with programs in aboriginal languages, now, there’s almost none…

Most notably the blocking of 國家語言發展法 (National Language Development Law), were Holo, Hakka and aboriginal languages would all be considered official languages. It’s an act that can save the dying trend of all native languages, and create real meaningful jobs, encourage diversity and understanding amongst cultures. But it was overwhelmingly voted down by KMT legislators, claiming it to be politically motivated and will disrupt society.

I don’t see how having multiple official languages in most US states disrupts the society, but those with actual political motives are hard to reason with.

ok,
it can be written, but mostly it just take its pronunciations (Karaoke subtitles, or internet…etc)
皮皮剉、趴趴走、倒退嚕、代誌、運將…

hmm…about your post
㤉潲、孽潲…
That is probably the standard style of writing
but I think most Taiwanese will not understand what it mean, and won’t write it like that.

A word often seen 俗 which means 便宜
but some “experts” say that it is not 俗 but 淑
Who knows?

first of all, I don’t mean to pick on you personally, I am just frustrated with the situation of Taiwanese Holo in Taiwan. It’s a dying language, and younger users of this language disregards it far more than say a Hakka or Aboriginal users of the same age. There is almost a wilful ignorance attitude surrounding the young Holo-sphere that is not seen in any other native language spheres today. It is a really sad situation, because Holo is probably the most researched, not to mention the easiest to research and preserve native language in Taiwan.

So if you feel that I am targeting you, I do apologize, I am speaking to the situation and users of the Taiwanese Holo as a whole.

[quote=“CodinCat”]ok,
it can be written, but mostly it just take its pronunciations (Karaoke subtitles, or internet…etc)
皮皮剉、趴趴走、倒退嚕、代誌、運將…
[/quote]

Lamaji are writings as well, the first books and the first printing press in Taiwan were written in Lomaji. You can write an entire paper in Lomaji:
de-han.org/pehoeji/papers/Lomaji.pdf

As for your examples, you can write them as:

phi̍h-phi̍h-tshuah
pha-pha-tsáu
tò-thè loo
tāi-tsì
ūn-tsiang

You can also write them as
咇咇掣
拋拋走
倒退loo
事志
運將

in which 運將 is a Japanese loan word, which in Japanese short for ūn-tsuán-tshiú (運轉手)

事 is pronounced as tāi:

of all of these, the only word without a Hanji match is loo, which is an onomatopoeia. You can force Hanji that serves as an onomatopoeia to it, such as 嚕, but why bother when you have a Lomaji system? There are countless imprecise and useless onomatopoeic Hanjis such as 喔 囉 呀 啊 or even ㄟ ㄎ… If those count as writing, how’s loo any less so? In fact it’s a way better system for this purpose.

You don’t know it is written this way because you were never taught and never looked into it yourself. the holo people have been writing Hanji since the Han dynasty, rest assured educated people knew how to write these back then. There’s no reason we can’t pick it back up now that this is a free country. Heck, the Israeli’s revived the use of Hebrew characters in everyday life. The writing traditions of Holo hasn’t been dead that long.

[quote=“CodinCat”]
A word often seen 俗 which means 便宜
but some “experts” say that it is not 俗 but 淑
Who knows?[/quote]

I really don’t see how 淑 can be used for cheap linguistically, so I am going to say 俗

I was once on a plane reading a BOOK about Taiwanese linguistics which was written in Taiwanese, in characters. There are characters for Taiwanese “dialectal” words such as the ubiquitous subordinating particle “e”, just as Cantonese is written with certain Canto-specific characters.

The (Chinese) person next to me stole glances for about a half-hour and finally had to ask, because he didn’t know what language it was.

Not just subtitles and karaoke. It’s just that it’s been kept down and there’s no one standard for writing.

The above two posters are heroes among (wo)men. Endorsed.