What does Taiwan need?

I am thinking that when I start making enough money and have enough time I am going to try to do something proactive for this place. Thing is that my ideas are limited (I ain’t too bright).
I was thinking something JobCorp like… But would that work?
I was wonderring for those who have been here longer, what does this place need? As far as charity organizations that do more than hand things out?
Something that goes under the lines of “help you help yourself”…?

[quote=“SuchAFob”]I am thinking that when I start making enough money and have enough time I am going to try to do something proactive for this place. Thing is that my ideas are limited (I ain’t too bright).
I was thinking something JobCorp like… But would that work?
I was wonderring for those who have been here longer, what does this place need? As far as charity organizations that do more than hand things out?
Something that goes under the lines of “help you help yourself”…?[/quote]

How about a child rearing course or two?

Traffic School as in How to Obey The Rules of the Road.

…or just a rules class on how to obey rules.

Taiwan needs more people like SuchAFob who are willing to try to make a difference. Like the animal shelter people from this board. I tip my toupee to you one and all.

how about an introduction service to help sad, middle-aged white men (yes i meet the criteria) meet limber xiao-jies…whoops i forgot we have tealit already…

ok then…how about survival courses (a la outward bound)…young people here desperately need to be dumped on a mountain side for a few days to learn to fend for themselves…

[quote=“the bear”]
ok then…how about survival courses (a la outward bound)…young people here desperately need to be dumped on a mountain side for a few days to learn to fend for themselves…[/quote]I’ve got a better idea. Add up what it costs to keep a conscript in equipment, shelter and food for two years. Give each of them that much cash in whatever currency they prefer, give them a passport that bars them from re-entering Taiwan during those two years, and then drive them to CKS and make sure they get on an international flight.

Next, build a professional military from scratch.

Law enforcement. Repsect for human life, as in “that living being across the street, next to you - not of your family: well, they feel pain and aprpeciate dignity too”.

Ah, but to be young and dream again… :loco:

Recycling bins on the streets. I hate carrying trash with me. At least now they have bins where you can get rid of your receipts!

The reason that would not work is that too many people would dump their trash in it. That is why we don’t have more public trash cans on the streets.

And come on, guys. I am serious. I have not been here long enough to be much help. I have thought maybe volunteer chinese courses for some of the foreigners would help. So that families and housewives of the less wealthy foreign population could learn chinese and help thier families. (this would not supply a visa, just be a place to go and learn)
But also things to help locals out… brainstorm people.

The reason that would not work is that too many people would dump their trash in it. That is why we don’t have more public trash cans on the streets.

And come on, guys. I am serious. I have not been here long enough to be much help. I have thought maybe volunteer Chinese courses for some of the foreigners would help. So that families and housewives of the less wealthy foreign population could learn Chinese and help thier families. (this would not supply a visa, just be a place to go and learn)
But also things to help locals out… brainstorm people.[/quote]

I was serious.

Post birth child reaering programs. Work through a hospital and teach people that getting a kid out of diapers in NOT the end of raising a kid.

How to raise and educate toddlers…I would love to do this if I had the time. Some of the parents I meet are entirely clueless when it comes to how to deal with, support, or understand their own children.

that is why I said recycling bins…not trash cans.

And even if people did throw their trash in there…rather in one place than all over the street?

I’m sure people would bother throwing bottles , paper etc into the right bin…and if they don’t…then maybe a workshop on RESPECT.

[quote=“Battery9”]that is why I said recycling bins…not trash cans.

And even if people did throw their trash in there…rather in one place than all over the street?

I’m sure people would bother throwing bottles , paper etc into the right bin…and if they don’t…then maybe a workshop on RESPECT.[/quote]
Just point surveilance cameras at the bins and run the footage on national TV to shame offenders to death.

Sometimes I think people here don’t have shame.

I think Taiwan needs some stronger roach medicine. Seriously. Those roaches in Taiwan? They’re like the mother of all mutant roaches.

They need to learn how to write a public service announcement. These people never turn off their TVs and beleive everything they see. You could probably affect change with a few well written ad campaigns.

They have this already, at least for foreign spouses of Taiwanese. Some of the posters here have attended them.

They have this already, at least for foreign spouses of Taiwanese. Some of the posters here have attended them.[/quote]I would be one of those. Spent 3 months going 2x’s a week. Working on the old bo-po-mo-fo. Recieved sterling grades. Didn’t have the slightest freakin’ idea what was going on. The entire class was in Chinese. I don’t understand Chinese. I do not speak Chinese. I was not able to ask 1 freakin’ Q as the teacher did not speak or understand english. Until I gracefully resigned my main classroom activity was printing the english names of various foods, clothes and artifacts for the teacher. A waste of my time.
My classmates were all young Viet Namese girls over here as brides. Very nice girls; all from the countryside who were unable to understand my Vietnamese. Fortunately 1 or 2 had passable, barely, english - but they were not in my class.
So yes, the Spousal Chinese classes are there. And they are fine if you are a VietNamese bride who already speaks Chinese.
So onward I march…bo - a deer a female dear. po - along long way to…Oh wait…wrong commercial.

[quote=“jdsmith”]

I was serious.

Post birth child reaering programs. Work through a hospital and teach people that getting a kid out of diapers in NOT the end of raising a kid.

How to raise and educate toddlers…I would love to do this if I had the time. Some of the parents I meet are entirely clueless when it comes to how to deal with, support, or understand their own children.[/quote]

Actually not too bad an idea. How to make it work, though… wonder if they have lamazze(sp) here.

Actually, better trash-handling procedures would deal with that better… keep food in airtight containers, throw garbage away well away from residences and restaurants… that sort of thing. Does a lot more than stronger poisons.

(O’course, my old Taiwan rule is still in effect – I want to see roaches in restaurants, because otherwise I know they’ve been using roach poison near the food…)