what does this word mean 道理

what does this word mean 道理?

老師除了教書之外’還教導我們做人做事的道理

In your sentence, the meaning is probably closest to “principles.” In other contexts it can mean sense, logic, reason, truth, etc. It’s one of those words that’s hard to find an exact English equivalent for.

2 Likes

The etymology of the word: 道 means way or path. 理 means principle or nature’s order. Together they mean the order of the way, or reason for things to be the way they are.

All the words Dr Milker mentioned can be used when translating 道理, depending on the context. It can also mean common sense, method.

4 Likes

Get Chinese perekun add on in your browser and never have to ask a question like that again. just hover the mouse over the character and the pinyin and translation pops up

In this case it is saying: daoli: reason argument, sense, principle, basis, justification

1 Like

AVancans, Liam_Og
The first thing I did was search the dictionary, thank you

Dr_Milker, hansioux
thank you very much, Your answers helped me in my doubt

cheers. Another good thing about the perekun is that you see translations for each character individually, and for each word or phrase that it is a part of in the exact context. Its pretty useful.

Cool…thanks for sharing that link!!

1 Like

Liam_Og

how config?
Popup Theme: (Restart Required)
Highlight text? Yes
Pronunciation: Zhuyin
Show Tone Colors? Yes
Hanzi Setting: Traditional
Submit

I cant keep this config, Always comes back automatically

Yea I have the same problem recently. Even if its set to simplified it still senses traditional do it doesn’t make much difference anyway.

I use a Chrome extension that also has popup translation functions: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/zhongwen-chinese-english/kkmlkkjojmombglmlpbpapmhcaljjkde
Works perfect to my needs.

1 Like