What else other than Sentosa and Zoo in S'pore?

[quote=“zender”]When we pay for it, we scrimp of the hotel.

Have you checked the google machine with “Budget hotels Singapore” and such?[/quote]
doing that, but really waiting until the morrow where people on ground zero can throw some light on the issue.

Did a search for you and came up with:

1.Quality hotel—Balestier area–room rate at ard 135 SGD
2.Riverveiw hotel—near Outram area–room rate ard 144 SGD (We’ve stayed at this one about a decade ago, OK for a 3-4 star hotel, I guess, but awfully dated)
3.Holiday Inn Atrium-- Outram area-- room rate ard 160SGD
4.Furama Riverfront–Outram–room rate ard 125 SGD

For a little more, there are
5.Elizabeth hotel in Mount E, which is very near Orchard, room rate ard 190 SGD
6. Orchard Parade , which is right on Orchard, room rate ard 232 SGD

Divea, I’m a Singaporean and personally, I would not like to stay in areas around Little India or China town when travelling with kids. Orchard Parade is an old hotel revamped quite recently and it comes highly recommended on Tripadvisor for families with kids.

Little India
Botanical Gardens
Kranji War Cemetery

Thanks Chris!!

AM, Appreciate your advice, will avoid living in Li’l India. I’ll check out your recommendations. Well I’m glad the trip is taking shape, YAY!!!

Singapore Sling at the Raffles. Kind of touristy, plus, so I understand, one Sling costs S$25. But you get to keep the glass, kind of a collector’s item.

Teetotalers we are…but greeat knowing about it!

Ah, yes. :blush: I should have said that I am not really recommending Studio M (but at least they allowed 4). And I’m not recommending the cheapo hostel, but I wanted to give you a feel for how cheap things could go.

When we travel with the kids, we usually look for the cheapest place that’s clean and has a pool. As soon as you’re talkin’ “pool” in Singapore, you’re talkin’ well over US$100. I think I’m ready for another trip to Thailand or Bali. :laughing:

Both the zoo and Jurong Bird Park have free, small, outdoor water parks for kids to run around in. Mine had a blast shooting each other in the butt with water guns and cooling off in the process. Bring swim suits and a towel for the kids.

Also, unlike Taiwan, they charge premium prices for snacks at the zoo, safari and bird park. It was 12 Singapore dollars for a beer. :cry: Bring your own water, and some snacks to save money.

And taxis are a pain in the ass! :bluemad: You might watch 8 pass by that are reserved before you find one that will take you. Then they have all kinds of weird additional charges for rush hour, leaving from certain areas, or traveling on days that end with the letter “Y” . . . And taxis can’t stop just anywhere like in Taipei. Get your hotel to call a taxi for you whenever possible. (They’ll probably charge extra for that.) :doh:

Someone earlier mentioned the Birds of Prey show at Jurong as being fantastic. It is! Go early and sit in the front seats. The handlers run around with a plate of puny pork chops as vultures, eagles, hawks and velociraptors fly just above your head trying to get their lunch. They tell the kids to scream if any birds get close to the pork chops. :discodance:

[quote=“zender”] Then they have all kinds of weird additional charges for rush hour, leaving from certain areas, or traveling on days that end with the letter “Y” . . . [quote]

:smiley: :smiley:

heheheh zender. Funny…so taxis ARE a pain hmmmmmmmmm…one gets so used to Taipei.

The kids can live without a pool in S’pore. We aren’t looking at lounging in the hotel coz all the fun stuff outside is for them and if they can splash about in a water park like your girls then Fab!!

We only plan to go in August so we still have time to confirm things!

Singapore has a chain called Hotel 81 with many locations at or below the price you mentioned. They are not always in the most central locations, but I guess you will expect that for the price you want to pay.

solution to the problem, well sort of:

taxisingapore.com/

Thankyou asianmom, I have been going through that Taxi site whoa…so many fares!!

And its hotel booking time so checking out your recommendations. Except, the youth olympics will be on durin mid August and it looks a crazy time to book hotels!

Singapore taxis… :unamused:
Once hailed a taxi in Singapore, told him where I wanted to go, and he simply replied. “No, I don’t plan to go in that direction”. No choice than to find another more cooperative taxi. It wasn’t like I was asking him to take me to a crime zone or Malaysia or something. It was a 10 minute ride in the direction of the city. The taxi driver simply had other plans.

I think it’s just a matter of not being enough taxis in Singapore so the drivers don’t need the business as bad as the drivers in Taipei.

Singapore’s MRT goes practically everywhere, and they also have an excellent bus system.

I’m also planning on being in Singapore in August (gotta use those frequent flyer miles before they expire). I’ll be doing most of my getting around by MRT and foot.

Beware of Taxis. Many have no idea where things are and rely on GPS alone. Also mystery extras.

Best food in Singapore is in Geylong.

Raffles is nice for a visit but it is too pricey.

Unclean living

1. Orchard Towers
  2. Geylang
  3. Batam :whistle: :whistle: (45 minute ferry ride from Tanah Merah Ferry terminal)

Good food/drink

1. East Coast Hawker Centre for Satay
  2. Hawker Centre across the Street from Singtel building near Orchard Road for the best Tong Yam Kung
  3. Raffles for Singapore Sling and Peanuts
  4. Sim Lim for high tech shit.

I can vouch for the Elizabeth hotel. First job after grad school (as a political journalist) was in Singapore. First two weeks I was put up there before I found a suitable condo near Siglap. Nice little boutique hotel. Distinctively remember watching the 2000 election drinking Tiger Beer and watching the eye candy in the pool. Good times.

Hotel booking is becoming a nightmare. We don’t want to spend a lot and nothing is really available due to the youth Olympic thingy…but there are people looking up hotels for us. Let’s see.

Then Singapore is not the right place. Singapore is damn expensive.

Then Singapore is not the right place. Singapore is damn expensive.[/quote]
I know, but I mean for hotels…the ones we have got are around 110USD. I really don’t want to go way above that…since we really plan to be out and about in S’pore, and basically just need a clean place to crash. Oh and BTW we are looking to rent a car for 3 days so no Mrt’s or taxis, and skimping on the hotel maybe a good idea. Everything is in flux so let’s see. With so many Indians there, it is surprising I have no relatives there :wink: or friends :aiyo:

Divea, I think you guys would be better off taking the MRT and taxi. Traffic regulations there is pretty strict and confusing, with all sorts of peak hour surcharge, restricted zones in certain hours etc, and parking fee is not exactly cheap either.