What English dialects or accents do you have problems understanding?

I shocked a high-level Executive once when I worked in economic development in the Middle East. He was holding a horse shit diversity workshop and was talking about accents.

He: Do you know where my accent is from?
Me: Scottish
He. Correct. But I bet you don`t know what part.
Me. Glasgow.
He: How did you know?
Me: I could spot the Fenian accent within the Scottish. :grin: It reminds me of that annoying Scottish nationalist female MP from Glasgow that should really take elocution lessons.

He seemed quite taken aback that I could spot it so clearly and did not appreciate my comments. I guess having a smirk on my face made him feel uncomfortable. He had made some anti-US remarks against Republicans and the South in general, and I felt like being an asshole in a way that I excel at. I love playing the cornpone that is smarter than most (and often all) in the room.

1 Like

Where in Victoria? I refuse to believe Melbourne accent is heavier than anywhere in South Australia.

My cousin lives in Australia, and I remember seeing him for the first time after living in the US for a while, we were talking about movies and I couldnā€™t understand whenever he mentioned True Liesā€¦

Now, after having more exposure to Australian accents, I have a much easier time understanding Australian accents.

Itā€™s probably easy to spot the asshole when youā€™re in the room too.
Walk in and boomā€¦Thereā€™s the asshole.

Hur hur.

Let it be officially noted that Iā€™m not calling you an asshole you are the smartest guy in the room according to yourself you definitely couldnā€™t be the asshole.
Itā€™s all just a cover.

1 Like

There are good and bad Australian accents. Alexander Downer has a proper Australian accent. Having lived in Adelaide and Brisbane for two years in my childhood, Adelaide accents are a little more civilized than the Bogan accents of rural Queensland although Brisbane and the Gold Coast were somewhat civilized.

Dont get me wrong. I loved living in Sir Johs Queensland and the Bogan culture that permeated the State at that time. I just had trouble understanding it at first.

I was intentionally being an asshole to get under his skin because he disparaged the South of the US. It worked because the whole audience seemed shocked and impressed that I could tell his hometown. In fact when I mentioned Glasgow they were shouting How do you know this? They thought I was a magician of some sorts. It was in Saudi and I thought they were going to hang me for being a witch/fortune teller.

I just said having Anglo-Irish roots going back to the 12 Century in Ireland, I am really good at spotting Fenian accents.

Melbourne was ok, I struggled with accents further North (the area of Swan Hill, Echuca and other middle-of-nowhere towns)

Thatā€™s countryside everywhere and yes, quite heavily for the invaders and tourists.

I wonder if thereā€™s anybody here from NZ or Australia and wants to share with us what accents they have problems with :stuck_out_tongue:

Me personally, have had small issues with strong Irish and Welsh accents spoken at speed.

Indian accent was a little bit challenging also but I climatised quite quickly.

You are obviously naturally good at pretending to be an asshole.
Like really really good at it. Gifted . Just like you are good at pretending to be the smartest guy in the room.
Shines through on these here forums.

As an Aussie from Melbourne, I find most people have grown quite accustomed to listening to all types of English accents, perhaps due listening to thick accents of all the different migrants/backpackers that are in the country. If i was to choose the hardest to understand iā€™ll actually say midwest American English (Very different from what we hear on TV)

I also told him that his accent reminded me of our cleaning lady when I was growing up (the one that was really good at scrubbing the floors). He really did not like that. :joy::joy:

I do have problems understanding all English.

2 Likes

You mean like this?

Da Bears

Yeah your mom does have a strong accent .

1 Like

Yo mommaā€™s so stupid, she thought a quarterback was a refund.

I approve of the fact that you shat on him while at the same displaying cultural understanding. Itā€™s an achievement that many can only dare to achieve!

1 Like

Your mom she so stupid, she thought you were just pretending to be an asshole. :slight_smile:

Yo mommaā€™s so fat, when she fell I didnā€™t laugh, but the sidewalk cracked up.

2 Likes