What exactly can I do, business-wise, on a visa-free entry?

Assuming that my clients are paying my US consultancy (corporation) in USD via check, credit card or bank wire…

Can I conduct short-duration workshops, seminars and training events for corporations in Taiwan? What about 1-on-1 executive coaching?

I’m unsure as to the distinction between “business” and “work” (the former of which is covered by the VWP; the latter of which requires a permit).



Some relevant laws

Regulations on the Permission and Administration of the Employment of Foreign Workers

Article 5
The entry visa or the entry permit held by a foreign worker who engages in the occupations referred to below shall be deemed to be a work permit and the period of stay allowed by the visa or the permit shall be within thirty days:

  1. To engage in work mentioned in Paragraph 3, Article 51 of the Act.
  2. To help assist in the solution of emergency cases and related problems for the purpose of public welfare and to engage in work prescribed in Subparagraph 1, Paragraph 1, Article 46 of the Act.
  3. To engage in speeches or commercial technical advisory work, as prescribed in Subparagraph 1, Paragraph 1, Article 46 of the Act, as well-known experts recognized by the central authorities in charge of the relevant industries or invited by post-secondary institutions, government agencies at all levels, and their affiliated academic research institutions.
  4. To engage in non-profit artistic and cultural performances or sporting events at the invitation of government agencies at all levels or foreign missions or institutions in Taiwan.
    A foreigner who holds an Academic and Business Travel Card issued by the immigration authority and is engaged in speeches or commercial technical advisory work provided in Subparagraph 1, Paragraph 1, Article 46 of the Act shall be deemed as being given a work permit in the event that the period of stay granted in the entry visa or the entry permit is within ninety days.

The Act is Employment Service Act.

Paragraph 3, Article 51
Where the performance of contract(s) of construction, sale, technical cooperation and so forth necessitates a foreign legal person to appoint a foreign worker to engage in work as referred to in Subparagraph 1 or 2 of Paragraph 1 of Article 46 in the Republic of China, and where such foreign legal person has not established any branch office or representative agency in the said territory, the business entity with whom such foreign legal person contracted or the agent duly authorized by such foreign legal person shall apply therefore in accordance with the regulations promulgated pursuant to Paragraphs 2 and 3 of Article 48.

Subparagraphs 1 and 2, Paragraph 1, Article 46 of the Act
Unless otherwise provided in the Act, the work that a foreign worker may be employed to engage in within the Republic of China is limited to the following:
1.Specialized or technical work.
2.Director/manager/executive of a business invested in or set up by overseas Chinese or foreigner(s) with the authorization of the Government of the Republic of China.