What exactly would China do with Taiwan?

From what I can tell, Beijing views Taiwan as part of China.

That said it is obviously not like they view the citizens here as enemies (but rather as citizens of China).

If Beijing got everything it wanted what exactly would it do with Taiwan?
Does anyone (except for the Beijing insiders) actually know?

Obviously there would be no elections here.

Nobody really knows how Beijing getting everything it wanted with Taiwan would affect the very high standard of living that the citizens of Taiwan enjoy. Probably no short term changes but the very high standard of living could change a great deal over the long term under Beijing’s rule (look at the standard of living of the great majority of ordinary citizens in Beijing).

I don’t follow this very closely. Perhaps someone who does can enlighten me.

Thanks.

The entire population would be put on surveillance. The entire law enforcement forces would be replaced by Chinese military. Anyone who voices opposition would be shipped off to concentration camps hidden deep within China. Opinion leaders would be silenced and those who refuse to comply would be humiliated with fabricated accusations. Any form of protest would be met with tactics currently employed in Hong Kong, with young protesters and their relatives raped and killed, while the Chinese military police would claim that they’ve committed suicide.

Taigi, Hakka, and Indigenous language and culture revival movements would be put down.

Elections would be no thing more than a show, with Beijing appointed positions and seats having ultimate control over politics.

Internet would be censored, and all international communications would be monitored if not completely prohibited.

All IC fabrication plants would be closed and moved to China.

PRC naval bases would be moved to Taiwan, and PRC would gain unfettered access to the second island chain, and challenge US forces on Guam directly. The US navy would have no way to contain China’s actions in the South China Sea, and South East Asia in general.

Oh, and China would move at least 10 million Chinese people on to the island and displace middle class Taiwanese.

12 Likes

Winnie-The-Pooh would be banned.

9 Likes

As part of implementing a surveillance state as detailed by hansiou, the PRC would as well dump us into the PRC side of the emerging tech cold war. Bye bye google and f-book (good riddance to the latter in my view), hello PRC approved apps and websites.

They would also set up their navy and air force in Hualien, Taidong, Zuoying, etc to project force into the Pacific, which is precisely why they want this island.

EDIT: I see hansioux added this point to his post too.

Guy

2 Likes

That ship has sailed. Even if all Taiwanese become obedient, brain-washed sheeple that follow CCP line over night. Beijing will never believe or trust it. They WILL create concentration camps and displace massive numbers of Taiwanese to aussage their fear of dissenting voices. There is not turning back for Taiwan now imho. The only way is forward.

2 Likes

This would be the most important piece. This is why Beijing has offered, on paper, a deal even sweeter than HK. Even offering to keep the ROC Military intact. All Beijing wants is the east coast access to the ocean to project power and use as defence against blockades. They have offered Taiwan everything under the sun, offering 99% independence. Why? If the communist with chinese characteristics system is so great, why offer Taiwan separate treatment?

Thats all they want. Hualien and Taitung to ensure party security, control and defence.

I wonder if they realise they’d be bringing in 23 million counter revolutionaries.

2 Likes

Forumosa, and many of its esteemed members, would be in trouble.

Let’s make sure it never happens.

3 Likes

That would be nothing more than a drop of fresh water in the pacific ocean.

China and the CCP just want to hold on to their control and for its people to unconditionally buy into whatever narrative they want to tell.

1 Like

Taiwan is a fixed aircraft carrier, useful for the US just in case.

With lots of landing spots!

Nonsense. Taiwan or no Taiwan, no one will ever deliberately provoke China into a war. China doesn’t need to project power unless it wants to expand throughout the world.

Uh, we are more worried about China deliberately provoke other local and global powers into a war.

Notwithstanding all of these events foreshadowed, Taiwan would still become bilingual by 2030, as this is an unstoppable force.

8 Likes

Exactlt my point. I was replying to the comment that said China wants Taiwan so that it can ensure its defense.

Then why keep North Korea a puppet state? China is just trying to plug all the holes in its natural defence.

Buffer. Buffer with mountains, unpassable deserts, oceans and more.

They want buffers. The CCP is paranoid. They know people want to take them down.

Internally that is how China justifies it’s actions outside of China. They would claim their military build up in the South China Sea are for defensive purposes, even though their are transforming atolls or shoals in the waters of Vietnam and the Philippines into concrete fortresses. They would also claim that it’s actions along the Indian borders are defensive measures as well.

1 Like

Slightly off topic, but this letter from Prague mayor to PRC foreign minister (translated from Czech) is too funny.

8 Likes

Just look at Fiery cross reef.

It used to look like this before China messed it up

There are a dozen dredging ships in the area making the water deeper, likely for larger ships or submarines to access their new fortress.

1 Like

Simplified and Traditional Mandarin?

1 Like

It takes only 3 precision bombs to eliminate that place!

2 Likes