What Facebook has become

“11 places you have to visit before you die. Number 7 is AMAZING”
“The video that fast food giants don’t want you to see!”
“Which 90s sitcom star are you? I got Phoebe from “Friends” OMG so funny!!!”

The sooner we put an end to this cancerous crap, the better the internet will be.

3 Likes

What’s awful is that people get hooked on this shit instead of reading books, going outdoors, or having actual conversations with other people. I can understand wanting to waste your time… but at least waste it on something halfway worthwhile. Television was a kind of junk food; this sort of garbage is high-fructose corn syrup injected directly into your adrenal glands.

not at all like forumosa, then :smiley:

Nonsense. I follow the latest on social protest on FB, for example. Read a paoer on this? Now that’s largely a waste of time

Keep up with environmental news, the Peranakan revival, film, coffee, hiking and so on. Also keeps me feeling in touch with friends abroad. When we chat on the phone I know what’s been going on in their lives. Wr aren’t strangers as you become with people after a while.

I have 62 family members in eight countries on Facebook. It’s how we communicate. The kids aren’t going to email me!

If you just see cat pictures and viral videos, this is because your friends are boring. You can even just tweak your settings now so you don’t feel tempted to cull people and hurt their feeeeelings.

I like the sentiment, but it’s different strokes for different folks, as MM pointed out. If your FB is bogged down by banality, it’s time to add some new friends. :2cents:

This is why I have very few FB friends from high school.

facebook was created for ulterior motives and malintent, and this was reflected in its internal workings from day one. I was one of those people on facebook relatively early, and there was a lot of “screw the users, we own your data and we do what we want with it” kind of stuff going on, even more so than today, and I was very put off. I realized that is embedded into its cooperate culture and will not likely change until they stop being successful. So I stopped posting on facebook, unless it’s something important, like social protests that MM mentioned, eventhen I’ve posted or shared stuff on fb less than 10 times in the past year.

Facebook has admitted that it was doing experiments trying to affect user’s moods by only showing them upbeat or depressing posts, just to see how their posting behavior would change. Dick move, what no one is surprise it would do so.

I mostly use google plus now. Though I haven’t had a lot of success getting most of my Taiwanese friends to use it regularly. The difference I think is games. When google plus also had its own game section, I actually got a couple of them to use google plus daily.

The worst thing is when you have friends who post really good stuff you want to see but also post stuff that you’re not in the least bit interested in.

Paranoia Why do I feel like this one’s directed at me? :sunglasses:

Fakebook is an evil cult.
Let the posers have their field of play.
Seperates the wheat from the chaff.

[quote=“TheGingerMan”]Fakebook is an evil cult.
Seperates the wheat from the chaff.[/quote]

‘pare’ les stalks, chaff-baba. :wink:

Paranoia Why do I feel like this one’s directed at me? :sunglasses:[/quote]

Rest assured it’s not you.

It’s mostly some photographer friends in the US who stray into long political rants from time to time.

[quote=“Ermintrude”][quote=“TheGingerMan”]Fakebook is an evil cult.
Seperates the wheat from the chaff.[/quote]

‘pare’ les stalks, chaff-baba. :wink:[/quote]

“D’abord, il faut d’endure.”
Sic.

Is it really that difficult to skip past stuff that is obviously worthless drivel?

Facebook is great for some stuff and there is no reason to get rid of it because of some easy to ignore stuff.

there is a feature to unfollow, but u can still be peoples friend. i recommend it. i have unfollowed everyone who posts useless crap and stuff of no interest to me. now i only see stuff i am interested in and there is much much less updates to follow. my facebook usage has been severely reduced! the unhealthy craving to see the next update is no longer!

no i just have beef with facebook for limiting who can see my posts.

I joined facebook thinking to reconnect with some H.School buds that I’d like to reconnect with. Instead the people that I “found” were really the same ones I didn’t really spend much time with when in H.School.

So it didn’t achieve for me what I wanted, so I signed out and never went back.

Greatest pet peeve ever, is people using Facebook as Google. If lazy people couldn’t get lazier…

“Does anyone have any suggestions on a full package vacation they can recommend?”

Wouldn’t it be amazing if you web searched, Google, Yahoo, Bing(if anyone actually uses it), found a website where you can input your specific wants into an engine of some sort and they would spit out packages that tailor your needs?

It’s like, whoa, the internet.

[/rant]

I have been on Facebook since the time you needed a .edu e-mail to join Facebook. As great of a website it is, it’s also become a hole of useless articles and social event killer.

not at all like forumosa, then :smiley:[/quote]

No, not at all. Forumosa might have a lot of time-wasting and even downright dumb content… but at least it’s dumb content real people in the community are creating (for the most part), not clickbait infographics dreamt up by some social media marketing firm to increase engagement on their page or whatever.

For clarification: my original message wasn’t about Facebook in general but “this sort of garbage” i.e. viral crap that seems to dominate the newsfeed these days. I still find Facebook useful for many things but I treat it more as a source of traffic for my own creative projects, things I create myself.

not at all like forumosa, then :smiley:[/quote]

No, not at all. Forumosa might have a lot of time-wasting and even downright dumb content… but at least it’s dumb content real people in the community are creating (for the most part), not clickbait infographics dreamt up by some social media marketing firm to increase engagement on their page or whatever.

For clarification: my original message wasn’t about Facebook in general but “this sort of garbage” i.e. viral crap that seems to dominate the newsfeed these days. I still find Facebook useful for many things but I treat it more as a source of traffic for my own creative projects, things I create myself.[/quote]

I treat FB as a very public blog to show my friends what’s going on with my life outside of the states.

Instead of sharing a, and I quote,

:sunglasses: :sunglasses:

I think it really depends on whose on your friend list on fb. I just bought a novel a week ago, thanks to the author promoting himself on Facebook.