What Facebook has become

I think it really depends on whose on your friend list on fb. I just bought a novel a week ago, thanks to the author promoting himself on Facebook.[/quote]

Unless that author was promoting himself with “5 books you must read before you die… number 3 amazes me” then that’s not what I was ranting about :slight_smile:

This 5 minute video about racism will change your life! The part at 1:10 is absolutely SHOCKING !!!

This guy shows you the difference between mens and womens brains and absolutely nails it!!!

Facebook leaked 533 million users’ phone numbers. Data contains Zuckerberg and has his phone number. He also uses Signal :happy_frog:

1 Like

I posted this in the stocks thread, it’s not new news they were leaked (this happened a while back), the news is the leak was made available for free online, before I guess whomever had it may have been selling it off, whatever.

Which obviously did not send FB falling next trading day, though I thought it would!

Hate FB.

Since then it’s gotten a lot worse.

1 Like

So, Facebook is going to change its name … maybe it’s going to be ‘Zuck-it’?

1 Like

Facebook sure has an image problem even though it continues to mint money.

They can go for an honest name, FakeBook.

BTW, any way to read Facebook links people post without being logged in? Sometimes I see one I’d like to read, but I just get a login page. Doesn’t help me since I don’t have an account.

2 Likes

I use it to keep in touch with people, I find it better than email for that. I rarely post.

The groups (well, only one really, otherwise there is Forumosa) and marketplace have also been useful for me, here in Taiwan.

Like any tool, it depends on how well one uses it.

1 Like

More and more social media sites are like this, because they want people to sign up. You could just make a new email address for this kind of thing (stupid internet signups) and then not develop the account at all (pictures, info, posts, etc.), just for the login credentials…

No account either. While I’ve occasionally felt left out over the last 12ish years after deciding I didn’t want or need an account, I am also glad I missed most of the shit show, barring a few splatters from friends and family who’ve gotten triggered over the years.

I’m glad the realization is starting to breakout in the late night talk circuit.

The accessibility is powerful, it may have not been anticipated, or at least not the state we now find ourselves in. Money was the goal, friends and family was the narrative, but the practical reality is that it’s never been easier to engage with your diametric anathema. At one point it may have even been by design.

It’s like we took every lower primate in the world and put them in one tree. We need groves. We need some measure of functional distance, before we start to strangle one another.

Sort of like a mandatory SISN, or Social InSecurity Name

1 Like

I use Facebook still. It’s really the best and only way to keep in touch with people back home.

Plus, it connects with people to sell things online. I do wish there was an alternative though. It’s kinda in the same boat as Google and YouTube, where the company sucks, but is too useful to give up and stop using.

Facebook, the company, will change its name. Probably to “Horizon”, similar to the metaverse they want to build.
Facebook, the social network, will keep its current name.

It’s frustrating too because many restaurants here only have a Facebook page, no website. Don’t know if it’s the same in North America. I keep having to refuse log-in screens when I want to see opening hours or a menu.

2 Likes

Facebook is awful but it runs a monopoly so it’s difficult to stop using it.

1 Like

I just have a Facebook for maintaining contact with friends.

I would like to have nothing on Facebook that could be used to identify me but obviously when you have friends and family that’s impossible.

You can perfectly follow someone’s movements, holidays and track down people just using FB.

Yes, only if they post information or people they are linked to post that information.

You can have a profile with no picture, not followers and no friends that could be practically anonymous. Once you introduce pictures followers and friends it’s impossible to be anonymous on Facebook.