What familliar foods would you look forward to after several years absence

It’s been almost over ten years since I tasted familial comfort foods. What foods would be on your must try list? When you did try those foods again, were you disappointed?

I’ve made one visit a month ago and am making a visit one more visit with my family this August.
Here is my list and report.
1.Taylor Pork Roll or Trenton Ham - Still as great as I remember
2. American Bacon, served with eggs in a diner! Great! Taiwan bacon looks the same but certainly doesn’t taste it.
3. Corned beef Hash - Not so good. I think it is because the diner made their own. I’ll have to try the one that comes from a can and looks like dog food. I think that is the one I really like. But maybe I lost my taste for it altogether.
4. Real Supermarket Deli Coldcuts - My brother had a cold cut buffet. Domestic Ham, Turkey, Baloney , Swiss Cheese… Heaven!
5. Glazed Ham - Super

Still to try…
Chicken Pot Pie
WAWA Chili
Apple Pie alamode
Club Sandwich
Italian Sausage

Maybe I’m forgetting some things. I’m from the USA so these are mostly NY/NJ favorites.

Just one: ripe plantain. :cry:

Really? I thought they would be grown in Taiwan. According to wikipedia, its a variety of banana that originated in South East Asia! I’ve never tried Plantain but I’ve seen it often on Sesame Street. It’s a popular in Hispanic (If that’s the right word today) areas o NY. I’d love to try it. Looks good.

williesdeli.com.tw/about.html
He doesnt have everything but it is a good bet that you will find most of what you want, delivered and with a smile. Love Willie (why does that sound bad)
Also, try Kevin’s BBQ. Damned good ribs all around!
My freezer is full of products from both vendors and I dont seem to be losing weight . Those that know me also know that I am best, rotund.
BTW, as I profonticate, I am eating a turkey sandwhich that I got preroasted from Willie with a loaf of of rye, also from him, Damned delicious. Thanks Willie!

I always have a list of foods I want to eat when I go back, and am almost always disappointed. I find most American fare too sweet/heavy/HUGE for my palate these days.

The exception, of course, is Mexican food. I could happily eat it every single meal when I visit the US.

Make an appointment. I can do Mexican about as good as it gets. Lived in San Jose for 2 years

Proper fish and chips from a proper fish and chip shop. Wrapped in paper.

That’s about the only thing I miss that I haven’t found a suitable replacement for here.

Really? I thought they would be grown in Taiwan. According to wikipedia, its a variety of banana that originated in South East Asia! I’ve never tried Plantain but I’ve seen it often on Sesame Street. It’s a popular in Hispanic (If that’s the right word today) areas o NY. I’d love to try it. Looks good.[/quote]

The closest it is grown is Malaysia, maybe.

Sweet! I’ll be right over. :wink:

Actually, I’m from New Mexico so I can churn out some mean Mexican food myself. I just appreciate not having to hunt all over creation for ingredients, slave over a hot stove/oven for hours, and then clean up the mess afterward. :slight_smile:

Waiting for the bell.
Push in:
183 02 1
Right! I*'ll be waiting!
Edit: But the turkey on rye is gone but I might be able to scrape together some pig bowels and hot water
Edit: I have some. Just joshing you a bit.

Sweet! I’ll be right over. :wink:

Actually, I’m from New Mexico so I can churn out some mean Mexican food myself. I just appreciate not having to hunt all over creation for ingredients, slave over a hot stove/oven for hours, and then clean up the mess afterward. :slight_smile:[/quote]

True, that is what entails to cook Central American food. Just harder to find than Mexican stuff.

and then clean up the mess afterward- WTF !! You dont have a female unit?

Our National dish. :cry:

It has been 13 months , 25 days and 7 & 1/2 hours ago and counting.

Well, gender stereotypes aside, I AM the female unit. :slight_smile:

REAL Mexican food made by illegals who don’t speak any English!!!

God, I miss socal food!

We are the female unit, you cook, we clean. OK?

BTW, in Cantonese tradition, men cook.

Mexican food
In n out double double
The Hat Pastrami Sandwiches w/ gravy fries
Tommy Burgers