What fruit?

Just asking the names of these fruit I like. (Yes, I have probably heard the names, but forgotten too.)

Apple and custard apple, no? I don’t know that the little thing by the apple is.

Or did you want the names in Mandarin?

Or was this a trick question and I somehow fell into the trap?

The first one’s not an apple. It’s smaller and has a slightly elongated shape. I’ve forgotten the Mandarin name, but I think the English name is jujube. (The thing beside it in the picture is just the seed, isn’t it?)

The second one is indeed a custard apple. In Mandarin it’s shi4jia1, I think.

The first one’s a 棗子, zao3 zi5 - some kind of date, or jujube
Lemur and Joesax are right - the second one’s a 釋迦, shi4 jia1

[quote=“joesax”]The first one’s not an apple. It’s smaller and has a slightly elongated shape. I’ve forgotten the Mandarin name, but I think the English name is jujube. (The thing beside it in the picture is just the seed, isn’t it?)
[/quote]

Oh, I’ve had those but they are always cut up and unseeded before they get to me. So I’ve never seen the seed. And I’ve never bought them either.

[quote=“lemur”]…they are always cut up and unseeded before they get to me… And I’ve never bought them either.[/quote]Nice life for some! :wink:

Thank you. By the way I live in Kaohsiung. Both are common here. (Yes, the small brown one is a seed.)

The reason I asked… I want to read more about them by using Wikipedia. With the names provided I found the following:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jujube
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Custard-apple

I’m still little confused… In Wiki both fruit are red (in Kaohsiung they sell only green ones), but the shape is correct (and they are delicious).

The nuns and monks are taking good care of their guests, that’s for sure.

[quote=“merge”]The first one’s a 棗子, zao3 zi5 - some kind of date, or jujube
[/quote]

I’ve been enjoying them a lot this year.

[quote=“Janne Pyykkö”]Thank you. By the way I live in Kaohsiung. Both are common here. (Yes, the small brown one is a seed.)

The reason I asked… I want to read more about them by using Wikipedia. With the names provided I found the following:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jujube
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Custard-apple

I’m still little confused… In Wiki both fruit are red (in Kaohsiung they sell only green ones), but the shape is correct (and they are delicious).[/quote]Well, the Wikipedia article says:
“The fruit is an edible oval drupe 1.5-3 cm long; when immature it is smooth-green, with the consistency and taste of an apple, maturing dark red to purplish-black and eventually wrinkled, looking like a small date.”
I’ve always had the green ones, though.

[quote=“joesax”]Well, the Wikipedia article says:
“The fruit is an edible oval drupe 1.5-3 cm long; when immature it is smooth-green, with the consistency and taste of an apple, maturing dark red to purplish-black and eventually wrinkled, looking like a small date.”
I’ve always had the green ones, though.[/quote]

True. So should we fix Wikipedia or fruit name? :unamused:

[quote=“Janne Pyykkö”][quote=“joesax”]Well, the Wikipedia article says:
I’ve always had the green ones, though.[/quote]

True. So should we fix Wikipedia or fruit name? :unamused:[/quote]
I don’t think so. All that means to me is that you can also eat the fruit when it’s “immature”. Immature doesn’t mean exactly the same as unripe, does it?

The second one isn’t a straight custard apple, as custard apples aren’t as nice (imho) as that fruit. Custard apples are mushier, the one you’ve got on the picture is a “hybrid” that’s known as Atemoya or pineapple sweetsop en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atemoya

Oh yeah, that’s right. I forgot.

I can take or leave the fruit itself, but I really like shijia flavoured icecream.

Gosh I love those things , both of them, especially the second one. Taitung is a major producer of the second item i think? Thats when Iv had the very best of them. Apparently the seeds are poisonous though? Something I never knew. I used to suck the meat off the seeds, but now im not sure thats ok to do?

I guess as long as you dont swallow the seeds you are ok?

I always wondered what the English name for this fruit was. I used to call them LGAs … an acronym for “little green apples”.