What Gained?

What have you gained or benefited from while living in Taiwan?

A new language
A wife
A son
An understanding of another culture
A wide variety of work experience to help me land a dream job back home.
Money
Personality adjustment

I think all of the above are priceless and I wouldn’t change a thing. Except maybe …hmmmm…more money:-)

Ooops, I almost forgot - SEGUE.

Sorry about the double post

[quote=“Boss Hogg”]Ooops, I almost forgot - SEGUE.

Sorry about the double post[/quote]

Yer lucky ya came back and said that buster! I almost banned ya! And you know Boss, you could always go back and edit your previous post to add something… I think yer on a karma quest… aren’t ya?

Working in Taiwan has financed my travels, a business venture (which failured), and continues to subsidize my “career” as a “writer.”
However, this has been at the expense of going soft; I’m just too used to easy work hours, 24-hour access to beer, low tax rates, and thin women.

[quote=“almas john”]Working in Taiwan has financed my travels, a business venture (which failured), and continues to subsidize my “career” as a “writer.”
However, this has been at the expense of going soft; I’m just too used to easy work hours, 24-hour access to beer, low tax rates, and thin women.[/quote]

Careful with that bit about the taste for “thin women”, Almas. At least one member of this community is apparently deeply offended by comments like that. The last time I expressed a similar preference, I was viciously flamed and accused, among other things, of being a “closet homosexual”.

But yes, let me join you in proclaiming it again: I’ve gained countless wonderful memories of deliriously happy times spent with drop-dead gorgeous 42-kilogram xiaojies, and that’s made all of the Taiwanesque downside, hassles and assaults on my senses more than worth putting up with.

[quote=“Omniloquacious”][quote=“almas john”]Working in Taiwan has financed my travels, a business venture (which failured), and continues to subsidize my “career” as a “writer.”
However, this has been at the expense of going soft; I’m just too used to easy work hours, 24-hour access to beer, low tax rates, and thin women.[/quote]

Careful with that bit about the taste for “thin women”, Almas. At least one member of this community is apparently deeply offended by comments like that. The last time I expressed a similar preference, I was viciously flamed and accused, among other things, of being a “closet homosexual”.

But yes, let me join you in proclaiming it again: I’ve gained countless wonderful memories of deliriously happy times spent with drop-dead gorgeous 42-kilogram xiaojies, and that’s made all of the Taiwanesque downside, hassles and assaults on my senses more than worth putting up with.[/quote]

That makes three of us

Hmm… a Karma quest… me :sunglasses: NOOOOO!!! But if you have some to spare… nudge, nudge :wink: :wink:

15kgs and some ‘character lines’ :wink:

Gentlemen don’t discuss their conquests (esp. if they care about a quiet life with her indoors)

[quote=“hsiadogah”]15kgs and some ‘character lines’ :wink:

Gentlemen don’t discuss their conquests (esp. if they care about a quiet life with her indoors)[/quote]

No conquests, just great friendships with beautiful women. My wife being the last in that line. Faithful to the end (if you’re reading this Honey, I love ya heaps).

I’ve gained better fluency in the language, new friends, better finance, a girlfriend that love me, work experience.

I don’t know what else…

regards

ax

Well, I have gained professional teaching experience, a greater sense of independence, a third language, and lots of incredible moments, memories, and friends. Oh yeah, and I guess working off my student loans as well.

A career
A dog
A wealth of knowledge
A video camera
A laptop
A new language
A mother in law
A father in law
A generous boss
and some life mates.

A strange inability to live anywhere else.

The chance to escape from the prison of American corporate life.

A reputation as an adventurous racounteur with my friends and family back home. This, as I sit here in my pajama pants grading essays and drinking a slightly disgusting bottle of Oolong tea.

That’s what I thought my first 2+ years back in the States, but I’m beginning to adjust…

A new hat.

I trust it’s not green!

Hey, you gained more than that. A bit of farming experience, right?

I have gained a job, 2 cars, no credit card, a wife, 2 kids, rented accomodation etc.

Well, ok, several hats. One of them was green, though, and even had a KMT star sewn on it. :o

And that was no bian mao, either!

But the one like it that his son is wearing now redounds to the Ayatollah’s credit.