What goes through the mind of the average Taiwanese people when seeing a foreigner?

You gotta be more specific than this. Is it at Carnegies circa-2003 at the witching hour on a weekend?

1 Like

@BHL4life already has that one covered.

I do that sometimes.

This too :rofl:

And this is just the reality 80% of the time.

Taking photos are common not only here, but Taiwanese (non resident) when going overseas. I have seem students take photos of the bus driver when boarding a public transport bus in Hawaii and New Zealand with the driver not very happy about it mostly (sometimes they are good about it though with big smile in the photo to be fair, more so if it’s cute Taiwanese) and taking photos at supermarkets, ect… I am ethnic Japanese but born in English speaking nation(with that passport) so people look at me not as being Western but being from Japan. So I think it’s just being not being within the norm of that Taiwanese persons thinking, as I am East Asian but in most cases people know I am not Taiwanese and will look (and comment to my friends, am I from Japan. This so much so my friends/co workers just say yes even though I am not born in Japan.). Interesting to me, this seldom happens as much in China, as most Chinese think I am Chinese as I think China is a bigger nation and as such they assume I am from another part of China even with my poor Chinese (sometimes with the accent I heard the Airport staff tell others I am a Hong Kong person)

For me, I know exactly what they’re thinking.

He’s lost. I need to help him. It’s just simply not possible that he can read the bus station signs and he will accidentally take the bus and go somewhere and be more lost.

Or

He needs an English menu. Poor soul is wracking his brain trying to read Chinese on the menu.

Or

I don’t think he knows what 番茄醬 is, I should scream out KETCHUP because he took ½ a second to reply.

Not that unusual. I’ve had someone fondle my nipple too

Did you at least get their digits?

Are Taiwanese taught that staring is rude? I don’t think this courtesy is part of their value system, so they don’t feel the need to show any restraint.

I’m not sure I buy the ‘why did they come to Taiwan, Taiwan is shit’. I am beginning to think a lot of Taiwanese think Taiwan is awesome…

Lucky you . My friends try to grab and twist mine :tired_face:

I think, like most places, the more metropolitan/worldly people of Taiwan teach their children this. I was definitely taught not to point or stare, and to keep my hands to myself, etc.

There is also still a thread of the culture of formality and politeness that remains from the period of Japanese colonialism in some of the older generation.

1 Like

And yet still you complain about not getting a date? That’s second base!

Half of the ppl think it’s shit (basically those who start their sentences with “in a normal country …”, and by normal they usually mean United States) and half of the ppl think it’s awesome (usually those who are dumb out of their mind), there’s very little middle ground. Together you get a middling view.

3 Likes

Maybe there should be a secret hand signal for Forumosans to offer, to see if the other person reciprocates in kind or with a “yes” sign.

1 Like

I vote middle finger.

6 Likes

Damn, you beat me to it!

3 Likes

A random thought about foreigners that they must immediatly share with their friends openly.

Yes. But there are still uneducated people like in any country.

1 Like

Taiwan is pretty good to live in. If you cherry pick the best parts of developed countries to be “normal” yeah, it can seem not as good. How many countries can you list that you would even prefer to live in. 10? 20? And even then some of it is subjective and based on individual needs.

I am not much of a mind reader but otherwise people must be talking about foreigners or that time they travelled to Germany, whenever I pop around the corner. Hence the amount of waiguorens that pop up suddenly mid conversation when you show up…

Some of their arguments are pretty accurate, like a “normal” country wouldn’t be harassed by China all the time. But most of the time it’s just stupid rambling as if other countries don’t problems like housing, youth discontent, fake news, etc. etc.