What happend to the Tavern?

Passing by yesterday, walking down Xinyi Road I saw that the Tavern is … gone!

Been gone for a while. More competition these days I believe

Rent increase made it unreasonable to continue. Same thing with The Mayan and Mickey D’s at the rink. Landlords get greedy, tenants vacate, space sits empty. More solid business modeling from the 1%,

Some ‘Honey Pig’ restaurant is occupying the whole groundfloor (still under renovation), and I mean the whole corner including the space of the Tavern … it’s huge.

Quick google shows it seems to be a US Korean barbecue chain

Nothing has survived on that corner. Bad luck. But maybe the Hsinyi MRT opening will change the luck. I’m up for trying out some Korean BBQ.

2015 will see a global explosion of Korean bbq restaurants. So you can predict what will happen. Idiots will burn and poison themselves. The cooking will not be allowed by the punters so individual chefs will be needed. This will drive up costs, so cheaper meats will need to be sourced. This will lead to old and unclean meat being used. Leading to a scandal. Leading to the death of the Korean bbq explosion. Which will clear a space for something else to become popular.

The Tavern only ever seemed busy at night and only populated by non-Taiwanese. It was too big for that to be sustainable.

I went past that building today. It’s called something like Korea Honey Pig, and it had a cartoon image of a chubby Korean lady’s face. I’ve had Korean food a few times and am yet to be impressed. Out of all the foods I’ve had in Asia - Chinese food from various regions, Cantonese food, Japanese food, Thai food, Vietnamese food, and Taiwanese food - I’ve enjoyed Korean food the least. That kimichi stuff is OK on pizza though. Pizza Hut do a kimichi pizza, we didn’t order one, but they sent us the wrong delivery, so we ate a few slices before complaining.

I absolutely love Korean food. Korean food offerings have been pathetic but recently the new Korean style hof on Yanji Jie named Huang Oppa to be absolutely brilliant for real Korean style drinking food facebook.com/huangoppa . Can only look forward for more similar K food in taipei

Just had a look at that page. The top picture looked deep fried chicken with fries.

Well, that other Korean (<<correction, it’s Japanese) place Ippudo on Dunhua is hugely popular.

ippudo.com.tw

forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtop … o#p1558285

[quote=“tango42”]Well, that other Korean place Ippudo on Dunhua is hugely popular.

ippudo.com.tw

forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtop … o#p1558285[/quote]

Seriously, is that Korean? I’ve been there before and had some noodles, they were pretty good. Wow, I stand corrected - I guess I do like some Korean food after all. :bow:

The Oppa place on Facebook doesn’t count though, because there’s nothing really Korean about fried chicken and fries (throwing them on top of a salad and putting sesame seeds on top doesn’t make something Korean either). :aiyo:

[quote=“tango42”]Well, that other Korean place Ippudo on Dunhua is hugely popular.

ippudo.com.tw

Ippudo is Japanese.

If you havent noticed, there is a Korean fried chicken craze all throughout Asia at the moment because of the Korean drama, My Love From A Star. The main character played by Jeon JiHyun has an addiction to friend chicken and beer. Korean fried chicken is amazing. The king of all friend chickens.

[quote=“Dr Jellyfish”][quote=“tango42”]Well, that other Korean place Ippudo on Dunhua is hugely popular.

ippudo.com.tw

Seriously is that Korean? I’ve been there before and had some noodles, they were pretty good. Wow, I stand corrected - I guess I do like some Korean food after all. :bow:

The Oppa place on Facebook doesn’t count though, because there’s nothing really Korean about fried chicken and fries (throwing them on top of a salad and putting sesame seeds on top doesn’t make something Korean either). :aiyo:[/quote]

There is nothing really American about pizza then. Korean friend chicken is different from American friend chicken. That restaurant does loads of other food as well.

[quote=“OrangeOrganics”][quote=“Dr Jellyfish”][quote=“tango42”]Well, that other Korean place Ippudo on Dunhua is hugely popular.

ippudo.com.tw

Seriously is that Korean? I’ve been there before and had some noodles, they were pretty good. Wow, I stand corrected - I guess I do like some Korean food after all. :bow:

The Oppa place on Facebook doesn’t count though, because there’s nothing really Korean about fried chicken and fries (throwing them on top of a salad and putting sesame seeds on top doesn’t make something Korean either). :aiyo:[/quote]

There is nothing really American about pizza then. Korean friend chicken is different from American friend chicken. That restaurant does loads of other food as well.[/quote]

Ah, no wonder. I thought I might have secretly liked Korean food - the Ippudo incident - but if it’s Japanese, then I’m back to not really liking Korean food :frowning: . That doesn’t mean I don’t like Korea though. They did that movie with a cool looking monster called The Host - that was OK :thumbsup: They probably have other cultural treasures like famous paintings and literature, I just haven’t gotten around to reading about them. I kind of follow my tastes, if I like the food - then I might make an effort to learn about the culture etc.

Pizza is from Italy. Did someone think it came from America? There may be American style pizzas, and I know that Japan have invented their own pizzas (they just throw mayo on top - soooo difficult), but pizza is still originally Italian.

[quote=“OrangeOrganics”][quote=“tango42”]Well, that other Korean place Ippudo on Dunhua is hugely popular.

ippudo.com.tw

Ippudo is Japanese.

If you havent noticed, there is a Korean fried chicken craze all throughout Asia at the moment because of the Korean drama, My Love From A Star. The main character played by Jeon JiHyun has an addiction to friend chicken and beer. Korean fried chicken is amazing. The king of all friend chickens.[/quote]

My wife watches the Korean dramas. I tried to watch them with her, but it was agony. They all seemed very similar to me. There’s always a girl who can’t handle her drink and hits her boyfriend/husband, an old wise man whose dying in hospital, some annoying teenagers in the back ground, and an evil business woman, etc. The worst thing are the sets. All the shows seem to be set in desolate, empty homes. There’s usually just a table and a TV. The walls and rest of the homes look mostly empty. Do people really live like that in Korea?