What happened to 45's Lasagna"?

Hi all,
I just checked an old thread about 45 & Spin. Someone once commented on their advertised “outstanding lasagna”, calling it “the best in town”. That thread is from 2003, four years ago. At that time, their lasagna (or is it lasagne?) was really good. The lasagna was one of the highlights of a visit to 45.
Last week I had another taste of their “lasagna” and was absolutely dissappointed! The stuff they sell now only resembles the former and somewhat standard lasagna only by name, but it is - sorry to be so negative - hopeless stuff. Before, I had the feeling it was home-made, by whom I don’t know, but it had that home-cooking taste to it. Now I have the feeling it comes frozen in a plasrtic bag, from some factory, made by someone who has no idea what the real stuff is like.

1. There was no meatsauce in it.
  2. It was flooded with something that’s supposed to be Bechamel sauce.
  3. It was close to tasteless.
    As someone mentioned in the Swensen’s Ketchup Lasagne thread, it might be acceptable if they’d sell it for 50 NT$. Because it isn’t worth more. :fume:

Any comments?

Norbert

Hang on, 45 is still there? Last I saw it they’d knocked half the place down. How can you have a 45 and no Spin?

HG

My head just started to spin thinking about those places.

Yessir, it’s still there. 50% of it, you are right, but still operating.
Most of the old staff has been exchanged, I especially miss Xiao Wong, he was always super friendly, and the aborignial gal that mixed the cocktails. But you still get a good draft, good music, good atmosphere. And bad food as a new addition.
I hope it stays there - and improves on its kitchen.

Norbert

What about the bouncers I saw smash out some Irish teeth on the bar one evening, and another hurled a friend down THOSE stairs, they still there? :laughing:

And what was the name of that little gangster wanker that controlled them? He famously moved in with a friend uninvited and refused to leave. Damn! Time flies. Oh those innocent days of yore.

HG

the whole concept of spinning 45 singles is lost on the young.

Wait, who among us is still a swinging 45 y.o.?

Not yet, but I’m aiming for it, baby!

Hg

My life ended when Spin closed…I am now a mere shell…:slight_smile:
Used to go there every day for 3 years…dated the bargirl for a bit…got slapped round a bit(by gangster, not gf) and propably knocked my head a couple of times jumping too high listening to LMF>

sighhhhh

My life ended when Spin closed…I am now a mere shell…:slight_smile:
Used to go there every day for 3 years…dated the bargirl for a bit…got slapped round a bit(by gangster, not gf) and propably knocked my head a couple of times jumping too high listening to LMF>

sighhhhh

Good grief woman, do you know how sad that sounds?

A friend had a strategy for Spin, which involved the concept that anything left standing after 5am was fair game. He rarely left alone.

HG

[quote=“Huang Guang Chen”]
A friend had a strategy for Spin, which involved the concept that anything left standing after 5am was fair game. He rarely left alone.

HG[/quote]

But didn’t everyone have that strategy?

No, not at all. For example mine was simply to get out of there without being bottled.

As for said friend, he would wander in at 5am on the way home, have one drink and split, and usually with a new friend, or at least someone who would invariably call 50 times a day for the next few weeks without talking.

HG
Edit: Apols to the OP, we seem to have gone from lasagne at 45 to cold lumpy porridge at Spin in no time, which sort of reminds me of Friday night/Saturday morning eons ago.

Yeah…but I hated having to chew my arm off in the morning…

I used to love spin. It was the only place where you could hear cool music, and where people weren’t constantly trying to pick you up. I’m actually still in contact with so many people I met there. Plus, if any of those annoying foreigners came in after 4, you could have your gangster buddies beat them up.
Sigh.
Good times.
I kind of lost my taste for the 45 monster munchster after one night when I tasted what the 45 monster munchster became on its way out as projectile vomit.
Sigh.
Good times.

[quote=“twonavels”]Plus, if any of those annoying foreigners came in after 4, you could have your gangster buddies beat them up.
Sigh.
Good times.[/quote]

So that’s how it happened! :laughing:

HG

It was very funny indeed…they play cool music…then at 4, when all the people leave, they start with the heavies…and in trots a jocky lookin guy trying to pick up a headbanging girl and wondering why he goes home bruised…
:slight_smile:

I lOOOOVED 45s lasagne, but couldnt afford it…

[quote=“Huang Guang Chen”][quote=“twonavels”]Plus, if any of those annoying foreigners came in after 4, you could have your gangster buddies beat them up.
Sigh.
Good times.[/quote]

So that’s how it happened! :laughing:

HG[/quote]

kind of a badge of honor to have been beaten up in spin, or at least threatened by the tibetans…

And one I fortunately don’t wear. Mind you I did wear the glass shards from a bottle that was snapped over a friend’s head.

But just thinking outside the box here for a moment, could it possibly be that all the vile stereotypes projected about our western sisters were generated by those miffed at Spin?

HG

Um, a lot of my western sisters didn’t exactly get ‘beaten up’ by the Tibetans…

Aw cripes, was it Chinglish? :laughing:

I meant the blokes rejected by the western lasses.

HG