What happened to the GOP?

Well, the GOP always wanted to be a big tent party so it makes sense that they would tolerate a fringe that speaks up against conspiracy ranting members.

2 Likes

Uh, it’s called All Conspiracies Matter. Why do you only want to listen to typical GOP points when Space Lasers are thoughts too?

Republican congresswoman Marjorie Taylor Greene reportedly received a standing ovation from her GOP colleagues following revelations of her apparent support for “false flag” school shooting and QAnon conspiracy theories as well as a legacy of antisemitic and racist comments.

https://twitter.com/jaketapper/status/1357125057408098306?s=20

1 Like

A cleared eyed view of the downward spiral of the Republicans

So the Republican Party’s got a huge problem here. And it’s a very depressing one because it’s leading to the Republican Party making allowances for crazies - I mean, forget the racist arguments, just absolute crazy people - because they think they need them in their coalition.

The idea that Liz Cheney, the No. 3 ranking House Republican, is getting more pressure and more attacks from fellow Republicans than Marjorie Taylor Greene, this absolute loony bird, scary QAnon type just tells you a lot about where the GOP is right now.

Look, I mean, this is a huge argument that I’ve been having with fellow conservatives for a while now. There is a real sort of victim culture, sort of right-wing snowflake-ism (ph) taking over big chunks of the right. You’re not allowed to criticize our crazy people. You’re not allowed to criticize Donald Trump. You’re not allowed to criticize us for thinking that the election was stolen. You know, that’s like now, like, an identity politics argument.

Like, you’re supposed to, like, respect people’s beliefs that, you know, the Venezuelans and the North Koreans stole the election kind of thing. And the problem with this is that if you want to take offense at being lumped in with insurrectionists and racists and white supremacists and QAnon conspiracy people thing - stuff, you can’t just take offense when people lump you in with that. You actually have to denounce those people, too. You have to draw clear, bright lines. That’s the best way to send a signal that you don’t want to be lumped in with those people is by not letting yourself be lumped in with those people.

3 Likes

Check out this dotard:

House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy (R-CA) claimed on Wednesday that he did not know what QAnon was, let alone how to pronounce it. But in an interview with Fox News last August he specifically said there is “no place for QAnon in the Republican Party” when discussing Marjorie Taylor Greene’s run for Congress.

Speaking to reporters Wednesday after a closed-door House Republican conference meeting, McCarthy defended Rep. Greene (R-GA), telling them, “I think it would be helpful if you could hear exactly what she told all of us. Denouncing Q-on, I don’t know if I say it right, I don’t even know what it is any from the shootings, she said she knew nothing about lasers, all of the different things that have been brought up about her.”

Six months earlier, however, McCarthy answered a question from Fox News’ Shannon Bream about Greene’s pro-QAnon rhetoric by saying, “Let me be very clear. There is no place for QAnon in the Republican Party. I do not support it and the candidate you talked about has denounced it.” He had no issue pronouncing the name of the outlandish conspiracy-spreading cult at that time.

2 Likes

I just listened today to some of her videos Politico turned up in June. Disgraceful.

They’re between a rock and a hard place. Two-party politics

2 Likes

I’m not sure that’s clear eyed or not, we can start on one extreme which I hope we can agree on which is Maxine Waters calling for Trump to be prosecuted for pre meditated murder, let’s agree that’s nuts.

Then there are the majority of Republican Senators/Congressmen who would like nothing better than to throw Trump under the bus, Lindsey Graham was done with him, Mitch McConnell was for impeachment, until they got a feel for the room from their supporters who don’t think he deserves to be thrown under a bus, doesn’t mean they want to pledge allegiance to him or anything, just they are going to be pissed with the GOP that throw him to the wolves.

Cough, cough. This is just so right on the money. I need to read more of Goldberg’s stuff.

2 Likes

I wonder where they got that idea!

1 Like

If you want something nuts, then start with this

For those of you who don’t want to waste your time listening to her voice and her conspiracy garbage, the lowlights are below:

Marjorie Taylor Greene had just finished questioning whether a plane really flew into the Pentagon on Sept. 11, 2001, and flatly stating that President Barack Obama was secretly Muslim when she paused to offer an aside implicating another former president in a crime.

“That’s another one of those Clinton murders,” Ms. Greene said, referring to John F. Kennedy Jr.’s death in a 1999 plane crash, suggesting that he had been assassinated because he was a potential rival to Hillary Clinton for a New York Senate seat.

Ms. Greene casually unfurled the cascade of dangerous and patently untrue conspiracy theories in a 40-minute video that was originally posted to YouTube in 2018.

Ms. Greene suggested in a 2018 Facebook post, unearthed this week by Media Matters, that a devastating wildfire that ravaged California was started by “a laser” beamed from space and controlled by a prominent Jewish banking family with connections to powerful Democrats. She endorsed executing Democratic lawmakers, including Speaker Nancy Pelosi. She served as a prolific writer for a now-defunct conspiracy blog called “American Truth Seekers,” writing posts with headlines including “MUST READ — Democratic Party Involved With Child Sex, Satanism, and The Occult.” And she argued that the 2018 midterm elections — in which the first two Muslim women were elected to the House — were part of “an Islamic invasion of our government.”
Ms. Greene has repeatedly claimed in multiple videos and social media posts that several school shooting massacres were “false flag” events perpetrated by government officials in an attempt to drum up support for gun control laws.

1 Like

Right, I get the current push is to define Republicans by Ms. Greene , thats as silly as defining Democrats by whoever you might pick and choose. It’s not important.

What is important is the level of vindictive punishment that can be sent the way of Trump and his supporters. I notice you failed to note Maxine Waters level of vindicate punishment was nuts, but as far as Trump supporters are concerned, he doesn’t deserve to be on the receiving end of vindictive punishment at all.

The Republican party see vindictive punishment as a means to rid themselves of Trump and of course Democrats would like the same, BUT Republican supporters don’t want to see that, so if that is the route the Republicans take, their supporters will tell them “to hell with you”.

Wrong. This about the Republican defining themselves. And the question is what happened to the Republicans where their electoral survival depends on catering to members and elected colleagues that spread absolute conspiracy fiction and call for violence against elected officials of the opposition party or, as Jonah Goldberg says, “crazy people”.

1 Like

You are seeing a double standard technique from the left, if any flaw is found on the right, that defines the right, if a flaw is found on the left, it’s an outlier or not representative of the left.

It’s a good technique, it works well, but a technique nevertheless.

So I see that you would rather talk about the left and “techniques” of the left and don’t really want to discuss the issues of the GOP (the topic of the thread after all).

3 Likes

I did, I made a case pretty clear, the right supporters, don’t want to see Trump hanged drawn quartered.

Who would you suggest as a comparable on the left? None are coming to mind.

The key word there is “elected”. Trump happened. Social media has happened. People who will vote for this kind of person–it was known before the primary runoff and she was attacked by prominent Republicans at that time–happened. It seems the Republicans are going to try to hold together and not guarantee themselves into irrelevancy for a generation. We’ll see if they weed out these elements or if they take a stronger hold.

1 Like

The thing I’m seeing a lot of, that really reads bad, is recent equivalency attempts. Which is an old game, but the game has changed.

In a typical (historical) GOP vs Dem equivalency exchange, lines can be blurred.

But this is the GOP going full MAGA. The reason you should never go full MAGA is that it takes you wayyyyyy to the right, and when you try equivalency techniques, you get exposed for the technique,

For example trying to draw parallels between GOP calls for killing dems and talking about space lasers, with democrat stuff.

It’s not in the same universe, everyone can see it clearly. But the lack of self-awareness just keeps the GOP chugging along like the chuds they are.

And this is just the tip of the iceberg, reminds me of the Trump defenses that you know would have to get more contortionist, the writing was on the wall, and is on the wall now for the GOP.

2 Likes

Who on the left chased a ridiculous pee pee tape for years? But if you want names we can put Eric Swalwell compromised by the Chinese spy Fang Fang on the list? Maxine Waters I think yesterday calling for Trump to be charged with premeditated murder, absurd. AOC two days ago, “Ted Cruz tried to kill me”, sorry if you don’t see absurdities from the left they are plentiful, just like on the right. I think everyone is still picking up their jaw from the floor from Adam Schiff completely fictitious reading of Trumps call to the Ukrainians, the funny thing about that was the call had already been released and it was obvious Schiff was sticking to a script.

1 Like

I’m not talking about “absurdities”, why would I care about that lol

Don’t recall what he said but it’s likely I’d agree 100% as I said at the time.

2 Likes

The point is not that she latched onto some daft ideas, clearly she did, it’s you see the same stuff from left leaning politicians all the time, Joe Biden when he was running for President pushed the hoax Charlottesville thing, he also called his sons computer a Russian conspiracy, despite the shop owner had a case number from the FBI all anyone had to do would be call the FBI and ask “is this a real case” if the answer is “yes” it’s not a Russian conspiracy theory, yet Biden would go on national TV and state “it’s a Russian conspiracy theory” in front of the world anyway.

It goes on and on, not sure why everyone is sucking all the oxygen out of the room fixated on this particular person, maybe it’s because Trump isn’t around and thy need a new pinata to wack.

3 Likes