What happened to the translation industry?

Trados isn’t hard to use and I actually prefer it. But the matter here isn’t cat tools, it’s lack of consistent translation work.

I had a 3000 word translation job that I never got paid for because the editor messed it up. I asked for clarification but never heard back since.

Achievement unlocked: 天

3 Likes

Oh cool, I see a game here!

Slightly related: this is just before I got told off by a Thai woman and had to leave the balloon shop in disgrace.

5 Likes

You mean, um, professional freelancers?

Or companies/agencies that 100% guarantee they will never ever outsource anything at all to freelancers even a little bit? :innocent:

1 Like

It’s not good enough, but most people think it is.

And that annoys me. Google translate could rarely output a single correct sentence and people still think it’s doing a good job.:nauseated_face:

1 Like

But you’re talking about a bunch of laobans who don’t know a lick of English except for seeing some TutorABC episodes on TV. To them google translate is good enough.

2 Likes

I know some of the translation work is outsourced to China, and they’ll just use Big5 to turn it into traditional Chinese, and get the worst result ever.
And as for the crappy translation that’s done by so called translators, sometimes they’re college students, or grad students who has nothing to do with translation work nor give a shit about it, but just taking orders from their prof. And the prof wouldn’t even proof read. Sometimes they just type jibber jabber they know that doesn’t even make sense for their homework and then get published without noticing😀

Oh yeah I forgot the laobans lol. I forgive them because they’re funny :smile:

I turn simplified chinese into traditional then translate. It’s easier for me to read for one, and the meaning isn’t exactly different anyways, but the catch is you don’t machine translate those!

I mean they translate JP into simplified Chinese and then use Big5 to turn it into transitional Chinese. So you don’t get a job for translating a foreign language into traditional Chinese. And they’re could be A LOT of difference between word use. 土豆 has different meaning here and there. We say 複製 instead of 克隆 when it comes to the word “clone”. The list goes one. As a Taiwanese I just can’t stand that kind of “translation”. Publishers used to have an editor to deal with this. They just don’t even bother nowadays. Sometimes they just leave the packaging in simplified Chinese…

Yea quite honestly JP to simplified Chinese needs translators. It’s a completely different language. But the different phrasing is more about cultural meaning. Like gay used to mean happy, not homosexual.

Yeah but there was once a time we have our own Taiwanese translators… (which means the simplified and traditional Chinese are two entirely different versions of books) and it was a good time :cry: