What happened with feminism

One thing I’ve been wondering recently
Feminism some decades ago campaigned for equal rights. Okay. The result has been men and women are for all intents and purposes the same as men (well not really; they get to complain and be put on a pedastal when a perceived slight exists, but that’s another topic).
But one thing you can’t help but notice: women overwhelmingly go for jobs like teaching and nursing. Men overwhelmingly go for jobs like engineering and construction (we could ask why there’s campaigns for more women to get into IT and engineering but not say manual labour but once again, that’s another topic).
But anyway, the main question I wanted to ask is… why???
Why have women chosen to become slaves to mr toilberg? instead of taking up the caring role and looking after the children? Feminists say nowadays women get to choose their career and interesting, important work. But the reality is the majority do meaningless, menial work. Surely there’s more meaning in raising your kids and building a succesful household.
But so much for choice. Once upon a time you could own a nice house in the suburbs and support 5 kids on a single salary. These days it seems you couldn’t support a single kid and rent on 2 salaries.

2 Likes

Nothing happened. Part of freedom means doing what you want. But there are still significant barriers to entry like one you listed above.

Male bosses often, when presented with two CVs, one belonging to a woman, and one belonging to a man, will pick the man and the experience is that women in these types of work are not taken seriously.

1 Like

I think a lot of feminists look at the top 10% of men and think that’s what all men get. It’s not. If you want to go and be CEO, you also risk slaving in the office in meaningless middle management.

2 Likes

But is this actually true? Make dominante fields fight over each other to get women in their firm. Even schools do that. My post grad for finance has close to 50/50 ratio. I don’t know how as in undergrad, Almost 90% of finance students were men in my class. While marketing has over 50% women. There is a drive to push women into some fields they don’t normally choose.

Even in business school for my undergrad, i see men gravitate towards finance and accounting while women do marketing and management. And you have to be accepted into the business school before you can choose which Path you wanted as well.

1 Like

It’s certainly possible and I’ve not doubt some employers discriminate on various reasons, but I don’t believe that’s a significant contributing factor for men/women in most roles in this day and age.
My point is kinda that there is no freedom. I mean in the past women could be a house wife/look after the kids no problem. nowadays that’s practically impossible; that option has been forgone in the favour of wage slavery. And I’m trying to understand why women would choose that.

1 Like

Oh yeah for sure. Unlike Taiwan, I’d be hard pressed to find a computer store that had saleswomen. If they had female employees, they were easily outnumbered by male employees 3:1. A lot of women are not taken seriously in the IT world for sure.

If you’re hot and know tech competently, you can make a shit tonne doing YouTube.

But if you’re an average woman in tech, you will have a harder time.

It’s like being a black ESL teacher from the US in Taiwan. It’s not impossible…but you’re gonna have a harder time than the white US ESL teacher.

2 Likes

But that doesn’t prove what you said. It could be less women go for these jobs. It’s like saying nursing jobs discriminates against men, when it’s more likely less men try to be nurses.

There is a huge push to get women into business schools and into accounting and finance. While applying to scholarships, there were many scholarships just for women. None for just men.

2 Likes

They made an entire movie centred around a male nurse. Meet the parents.

No, there is a huge push, but girls don’t wanna be the only one at the workplace of guys and are often underestimated in these traditionally male roles. IT jobs are pushed by men to men.

1 Like

I can’t speak for IT as I’m not familiar with how things work. But at least in business, specifically finance, firms are desperate for female talent. I’ve been talking to and watching people in finance talking about how to get in. They always tell the girls to leverage the fact firms want female talent and get things like higher pay.

Do you, like, seriously not want to get laid? Because if you do, this kind of talk will almost guarantee you don’t. At least promise me that you aren’t having this kind of conversation with women. This is pretty much the opposite of what they want to hear.

6 Likes

Fuck! I had a choice!?!?!? Do-over!!

4 Likes

I just couldn’t find a coherent question or a point in there. Something about … why feminism?

2 Likes

Did you lose an argument with your significant other recently?

Why? What has happened to you recently that made you wonder bout this deep stuff?

2 Likes

Mr. Who?

“I- now- think MLK was a great man, but these BLM types go too far.”

There has been many studies into why most women will go for a typical female profession or job and why men do likewise. A Scandinavian one Jordan Peterson has referenced more than once comes to mind.
Feminists only care about women in the workplace when they are working blue-chip corporate jobs. Your woman at a supermarket - irrelevant.

1 Like

Why would only blue-chip corporate feminists care about women in the workplace? And why are you calling supermarket women irrelevant?

1 Like

I am not calling them irrelevant.
Feminists could not care one iota about women working in a supermarket on minimum wage. The women who aspire to be blue chip CEOs who did not get that bonus men got however…

2 Likes

Sorry, I still don’t get it. Is it a misspelling of Thalberg or something?

This. Which is why I think feminism is moot in most first-world democratic societies. Just enforce equality for all and we’re good.

1 Like