What Happens if

My contract has just ended and my ARC/multiple entry visa expires Feb. 10. Here’s the thing:

I’m leaving the country over the CNY, and will be returning on a tourist visa Feb. 14 or a little later.

Can I just re-enter the country simply by boarding the plane on my return flight? I know there are few hurdles, such as entering the country on a return ticket and no onward ticket, and of course no official entry visa in my passport.

But other than that, I should be able to play dumb and just re-enter on a standard landing visa, right? I have a job lined up so getting another ARC within 10-15 working days shouldn’t be problem. I’ve checked out the school and they are cool and seem to know the quick process, etc.

Anyway, that part doesn’t bother me. I suppose the worst that could happen is they will force me to apply for some sort of visa at the airport before I board my return flight. I’m coming in from the Phillipines.

Any thoughts?

Get your contract, visa and ARC application started now.
That way when you re-enter Taiwan and they ask you “Why the heck don’t you have a ticket out of here?” you can show/tell them you’re accepting work (Bring enough supporting documentation).

I’m just taking a guess…Somebody correct me if I’m wrong. Just seems logical. But, this is Taiwan… :loco:

when i posted my visa questions i was told that you can’t turn a landing visa into an arc… so you might want to apply for the 2 month’s visitor visa anyway…

you should have had the new school begin the process of getting your new arc. they can do this even if you hold an arc from another school.
shoulda coulda woulda… oh well.

it is my understanding though, that you can’t do anything with a landing visa, except stay in taiwan for a month

If you don’t have a visa or a ticket out of Taiwan, they won’t let you on the plane. No airline wants to let someone on if they think he might be turned away at the airport. I’ve had this happen twice, and I was able to get on after signing a form sayiong I’d pay all expenses and showing i had sufficient cash to do so, but the second time it was really tocuh and go. I almost didn’t make it.

Your best bet is to go to a travel agents and tell them you want a ticket out, but don’t want to use it. They’ll charge you 800NT for it. David’s used to do this. Once I also had to buy a ticket over the phone and then cancel it later. There’s a fairly big charge for this though.

So anyway - get something sorted out on your visa, or get a ticket out of Taiwan.

Brian

Your best bet is to go to a travel agents and tell them you want a ticket out, but don’t want to use it. [/quote]

i got this… it’s acutally an e-ticket/itinerary. cost me 500NT at Interlink.

[quote=“wonder”]My contract has just ended and my ARC/multiple entry visa expires Feb. 10. Here’s the thing:

I’m leaving the country over the CNY, and will be returning on a tourist visa Feb. 14 or a little later.
Any thoughts?[/quote]

Ummm it’s Chinese New Year so all TECO defacto embassies will be shut down all next week.