What happens to your existing work permit if you get Open Work Rights via APRC?

If you have an open work permit you can start at the company you’re signing on to straight away.

If you don’t have one, they need to apply for a work permit for your job position at the company which might take + - 2 weeks

They said I don’t need an OWP and I already have an APRC. Seems it’s based on the type of work.

No idea then lol up to them at the end of the day.

You don’t need to get an open work permit, if you/your employer have a work permit for your current job. You may want to get an open work permit when you change your job, or your current work permit expired.

I was told the same thing. They told me that the OWP is built into the APRC. No need to have the 2 together at the same time. I pressed the issue more and they stood their ground. Would not even let me apply for one. A higher up in the office came over and told me that soon, the OWP will be done away with altogether (as far as paperwork goes) and the APRC is all you need. They were nice about it though.
:roll_eyes::smirk::face_with_raised_eyebrow:

That’s funny . Immigration told me yesterday I absolutely needed to apply for it and gave me documents to apply for it .

Well, this is a pickle, isn’t it?
Lovely.
I guess I will be heading back to ask again.

This is welcome news! As I’ve said before, the Employment Service Act is worded in such a way that it seems to say you don’t need an OWP if you have an APRC. I would still want one, to pull out and show to any police or other authorities who might not have received the message.

Did they say when it’s going to be officially abolished?

Nope.
But I will head back and triple check this new stance on the OWP.
I am hoping that this is just a case of new policy from the right hand not getting to the left hand in government.

Great, see if you can get something in writing. :+1:

If you are a spouse of a Taiwanese citizen, you don’t need an OWP.

Well that clears things up.

So:
APRC but not married to a Taiwanese citizen = must have OWP
APRC and married to a Taiwanese citizen = no need for an OWP

@tando , how sure are you about this? Because I will take your word for it if it is 100% certain. That would save me time and a meaningless trip too.

this Chinese page of NTU says it.

http://ord.ntu.edu.tw/tc/LegislationContent.aspx?id=54&chk=cb71c834-ec9a-4de9-9768-367103a40ead&param=pn%3D5

(2)台灣配偶取得外僑永久居留證,可免申請「工作許可證」,即可工作(適用就業服務法第51條規定),且不受同法第50條規定(其工作時間除寒暑假外,每星期最長為16小時)。

Employment Service Act

Article 48
Prior to employing foreign worker to engage in work, employer shall apply to the central competent authority for employment permit with relevant documents submitted. However, the following foreigners are exempted:
2. A foreign worker has married a national of the Republic of China with a registered permanent residence in the Republic of China and has been permitted to stay therein.

1 Like

I have been told the same thing as suigeneris, as in they will not even allow me to do . That said I am self employed and a farmer, not an employee for a company or person. My past arc was.not based on work but a jfrv. Though at immigration they never asked about past visa status. Immediately after stating farmer, they said, don’t need open work permit.

Every teacher I know here doing solo type.work needs one. Which kind of makes me wonder if its related to your ARC was based on a work permit, and now you work in a profession that normally hires employees but you bounce around (freelance) or self employed. Those of you that NEED a work permit I’m curious the job and when you got the Owp done. Maybe they are just ditching it, or maybe a which profession thing.

As it’s never in writing I want to avoid that golden issue in Taiwan of “It’s not a problem until it’s a problem.”

It seems the way they’re looking it is, you “need” an OWP if you’re in a workplace that’s likely to be inspected by authorities looking for illegal foreign workers. This is not to say that you actually, legally need an OWP if you already have open work rights (nor that you don’t need permission to work if you’re in a different type of workplace), but that you “need” to be able to prove your permission to work in a clear and timely manner, without spending time arguing with the relevant authorities (police etc.) about the interpretation of the Employment Service Act.

As noted in the “What exactly is a JFRV?” thread, when you get a marriage-based ARC, the ARC itself clearly states that you don’t need a work permit. If your APRC does not say this, the OWP makes up for that omission. Logically, the plan to abolish OWP’s should also involve changing the appearance of APRC’s to include a mention of your permission to work. Logically… :ponder:

2 Likes