What have U failed to find? Biggest avg women's clothing?

Do you realize that neither Wellcome nor 7-11 nor Tesco nor Carrefour nor Watsons’ nor many other shops in Taiwan carry an item as simple and basic as matches? I spent a couple of hours running around town one weekend until I could find a box. What the &%@#? It’s weird because some of those places sell gas stoves and other equipment that requires lighting with fire.

Yeah, but matches in luggage are a no-no. For me, a cigarette lighter and the average aerosol spray can work pretty well as a flame thrower. Good for traffic disputes; much better than matches.

Dragonbones:

I know there are some stores selling large size clothing in Taipei.
One is in Neihu. (but mostly are for women?!) :sunglasses:

Where in Neihu? Do you have an address? Thanks.

Well, I don’t know the address but I can take you there. :smiley:

I don’t look good in women’s clothes, dear.

Hahahaha…

Well, I think they have men’s but I really don’t know the address.

Once I was trying on a some L (el-lo) pants in Hsimen Ting, and they didn’t fit. The very young lassie working in the shop suggested that I go to Tienmu because that’s where all the BIG PEOPLE shop. I nearly had a heart attack! Know it, don’t say it, wench.
I’ve seen big clothing stores around (there is one on Roosevelt too), but the clothes are really shapeless, old-fashioned and dull. It’s like you lose all sense of fashion if you’re big?
I think if you’re a chick, and above size 40 jeans size, you should bring some nice pants. Tops are usually OK.

I can’t find disposable BBQ cutlery. I can find spoons, sometimes forks, but not knives. PITA.

Disposable cutlery is out there somewhere, since Costco supplies it with your pizza order. I think I may have seen it for sale there too, but it wasn’t what I wanted. Hmm, maybe it was full sets (all 3 pcs) and I only wanted forks, or something. Or I decided to go with more eco-friendly bamboo chopsticks.

Where are the restaurant supply shops? I’ll bet one of them has it.
And it’s lightweight, so you could mail order it.

OK.

Ah, found some. RT Mart. Inexpensive, colorful (5 each in 4 bright colors), good quality, and you can buy just forks, or just spoons, or just knives. 19NT for a 20-pack. The company that makes them is on Songde Rd 161, 3F.

Brilliant. I know alot of this impossible to find stuff is out there somewhere, it’s just a matter of digging, and buying it when you see it.

I’ve lost count the number of times I’ve said “Ah… so THAT’S where those things are” only to forget where that place is when I need them.

Cheers

I think Tampons must stay on the list because the tampons here are freaking HUGE. Unless you wear “Supers” you can’t fit these. (How’s that for TMFI).
Also: Whatever medicines line your medicine cabinet. NyQQQQQQQQQQuil!!! If you are a girl be warned they sell NOTHING for PMS here.
Also: Laxitives, allergy medicines, a gun, BRAS, if you require clothing detergent that has no perfume…, if you require ANYTHING that has no perfume

While you can get all makeups here, your makeups are not imports and thus REALLY PRICEY. Stock up before you come.

After ongoing research, I found a good string of shops on Zhong Shan North Road section 5 in the 500s, just South of Cha for Tea, a stonethrow from Shilin MRT station on the red line.
These shops catter to larger women. So if you are in between regular local sizes and large sizes, you won’t be able to find something as the clothes will be way too big. But if you happen to be large, you might find something you like. (At one shop, I was told by the cheerful staff that I wasn’t fat enough for their clothes… Should I be flattered?)
Some shops are geared towards older women, others have trendy fashionable clothes (taiwanese trendy, be ready to see a few nightmares from the 80s, but some of the stuff is fine). Since the shops are all one next to another, it won’t take long to find the store that suits your taste better.
BUT, these stores also sell SHOES for larger/taller women… I found some nice shoes (if somewhat pricey) at the store “5XXXXXL”. I have fairly wide feet, size 10 and I usually can’t find any shoe here. The shoes there are trendy and cool. They might raise an eyebrow when you take them back to the West, but for here they are just fine! You can even find pointy shoes in sizes that fit!
The staff is polite and helpful. If you don’t want to tote around a big glossy paper bag with a HUGE 5XXXXXL on it, bring your own bag…

Thanks Liz and others,

I’ll keep incorporating comments into the list under Living in Taiwan as long as you keep them coming. Then we can just direct questions from newbies (who plan to move to Taiwan) to that list for convenience.

Haven’t been able to find Ural or anything else to self-treat a UTI here. Also decent over-the-counter thrush medication.
The worst thing is that you’ll need these things here.

[quote=“Liz_Taipei”]After ongoing research, I found a good string of shops on Zhongshan North Road section 5 in the 500s, just South of Cha for Tea, a stonethrow from Shilin MRT station on the red line.
BUT, these stores also sell SHOES for larger/taller women… I found some nice shoes (if somewhat pricey) at the store “5XXXXXL”. I have fairly wide feet, size 10 and I usually can’t find any shoe here. The shoes there are trendy and cool. They might raise an eyebrow when you take them back to the West, but for here they are just fine! You can even find pointy shoes in sizes that fit!
[/quote]

how large are their shoes and how pricey is pricey? I am a ladies US 12, but my feet are medium width … do you think they have something that would fit me? I am in Hsinchu, not Taipei so knowing details first is a must.

:help:

Does anyone know of decent stores to buy womens size 18 - 20 (damn chest) tops. Prefer tank tops and short sleeve/sleeveless stuff. I am also looking for womens size 16 - 18 levi’s!

Please let me know or post back if you have the info I am desperately seeking! :help:

bring anything you absolutely NEED and WANT and cannot live without!

underwear - think heat and synthetics like nylon are not great for your little parts. most local womens underwear are just not designed for western women, they have a different cut and many are the ‘shaper’ styled ones.
bra’s - bring the ones you need, a good supply and have someone at home who knows them so they can help you send more over when needed. if you have a bigger bra size, save yourself the hassle, just bring them.
medication - bring what you like to use for headaches, PMS, Benadryl, NYQUIL … things like that. It is easy to replace birth control pills, asthma meds and most antibiotics or other prescription meds.
pants/jeans - I have seen up to 35 waist (womens) in most big stores like RT and Carrefour, up to 38 - 40 for men
tops/shirts - women bring your own. the cut here for most shirts is very small and tiny, and they are not cut very long. if you are a petite woman then you are coming to the right place. men’s shirts and sizes are very plentiful.
shoes - it is easy enough to find running shoes for men and women as many are unisex styles. if you want dress shoes, or sandals … and you wear over a size 8 or 9 then you should bring what you need for a good year or so. I am still looking for shoes here!
tampons/pads/liners - you can buy OB tampons in watson’s and wellcome store. they are pretty pricey though about 80nt for 8 I think I saw. pads/liners are not an issue as that is what most use here. almost every style is available and many different brands.

just make sure you know of companies or friends back home that can send you what you might desperately need.

american goodies is a company in the US that can do your shopping for you, or you can have items shipped to, they will then package it up and mail it to you overseas, wherever you may be.

That’s funny. Almost everything in my closet (yes, I have a real closet!) has been bought in Taipei and I am bigger than a size 14. I have dresses, hose, pants, skirts, tops, overalls, jeans, etc. Anyone who’s seen me, do I dress frumpily?

I shop mostly in Tienmu for my clothes and I prefer basic styles rather than trying to be particularly stylish, but I think considering my size and picky tastes, I do okay. I also visit the 5XXL store on Zhongxiao E. Rd. sometimes when I want nice blouses. It’s a bit pricey ($1500+ for tops), but they have denim skirts and jeans and it’s the place to go if you like Taiwanese fashions, if you are a bigger woman. Oops. Take back what I said about shoes. I believe 5XXL also has larger women’s shoes. Also in Taiwanese-like styles (think elf shoes). Damn. I let my secret out. Now everyone will look like me. :frowning:

If I made more money, I would shop at 5XXL all the time. :sunglasses:

Not quite sure where to find bras as it’s hard for me even in the US, but I find that some underwear at even the Sheng Li Shopping Mall fit perfectly fine. They are free sizes, but they easily fit a larger western woman comfortably. Each pair is $100. There’s one on Minsheng E. Rd. and Songli? Rd., He Ping E. and Fuxing S. Rds., and Roosevelt Rd. near Gongguan Station.

Hope this all helps, even though I gave away my secret of where to buy clothes. :frowning:

ImaniOU