What if China took the New Zealand approach?

New Zealand

• Cook Islands
  • Niue

China

• Hong Kong
  • Macau
  • Taiwan?

Hong Kong, Macau and Taiwan (?) become territories in free association with China. As such, nationals of the mentioned places are Chinese citizens with separately issued passports and immigration control. What makes this approach different from “One Country, Two Systems”, is the lack of eventual integration, hence the “free association”.

Since Han Chinese are hard-pressed to give up Taiwan and would veto any move towards independence, this could be a good model. The big issue would be trust in the central government (duh?). This could only work with a federated, democratic China.

How about we just bomb China back to the Stone Age and live happily ever after?

Thats not racist at all.

[quote=“CBCnews”]New Zealand

• Cook Islands
  • Niue

China

• Hong Kong
  • Macau
  • Taiwan?

Hong Kong, Macau and Taiwan (?) become territories in free association with China. As such, nationals of the mentioned places are Chinese citizens with separately issued passports and immigration control. What makes this approach different from “One Country, Two Systems”, is the lack of eventual integration, hence the “free association”.[/quote]

What problem are you trying to solve?

You must first tell us that the Chinese have a problem, then you tell us how the Chinese cannot solve it by itself and requires Formosan to help.

Formosa is not the solution to China’s problem. It can help, but it is not a solution.

Thats not racist at all.[/quote]

I’m glad you agree that Chinese people bombing Chinese people is not racist. Shall we get started, then?

Uh, it isn’t. Inhumane warmongering, but not racist.

Taiwan’s best bet is preserving the status quo until the CCP collapses and whatever government rises to fill the power vacuum in China is too weak & pre-occupied to launch a war over Taiwan altering its constitution.

Taiwan’s best bet is preserving the status quo until the CCP collapses and whatever government rises to fill the power vacuum in China is too weak & pre-occupied to launch a war over Taiwan altering its constitution.[/quote]

I actually agree with this.

Taiwan’s best bet is preserving the status quo until the CCP collapses and whatever government rises to fill the power vacuum in China is too weak & pre-occupied to launch a war over Taiwan altering its constitution.[/quote]

I actually agree with this.[/quote]

Maybe there could be a push for democracy in China in the next ten years and priorities change/ China becomes more mature as a country. Only so long Shanghai/Beijing/GZ people can continue to live life at the current level without demanding social freedoms.

Bet ya the PRC gummit runs away to… Taiwan.

A Greater Chinese Union would be better. Not going to happen though.

What do you expect from a Greater Chinese Union? It’s never gonna be like EU, China would be the one that dominates everything.
China is not really a desirable candidate for any regional organization. With that population and area size, it’d just take the lead and everybody else couldn’t say no.

[quote=“Gain”]What do you expect from a Greater Chinese Union? It’s never gonna be like EU, China would be the one that dominates everything.
China is not really a desirable candidate for any regional organization. With that population and area size, it’d just dominate everything.[/quote]
Dirt is an ethno-nationalist who worships CKS. That’s the only reason he supports any form of unification. Realistically, Taiwan stands nothing to gain from being annexed to China under any model at this point.

[quote=“peger”][quote=“Gain”]What do you expect from a Greater Chinese Union? It’s never gonna be like EU, China would be the one that dominates everything.
China is not really a desirable candidate for any regional organization. With that population and area size, it’d just dominate everything.[/quote]
Dirt is an ethno-nationalist who worships CKS. That’s the only reason he supports any form of unification. Realistically, Taiwan stands nothing to gain from being annexed to China under any model at this point.[/quote]
Well…technically a Greater Chinese Union isn’t unification, it’d be more like what EU is like today.

I must admit I’ve never gotten the idea that a democratic China would be less likely to attack Taiwan. Would a democratic China be less nationalistic? Less expansionist? When you have a rabidly nationalistic population in a democratic country, wouldn’t the government be more likely to give the people what they want? Are democratic countries less likely to start wars? If history is any guide, this seems like a pretty big assumption to make.

[quote=“sofun”]

What problem are you trying to solve?

You must first tell us that the Chinese have a problem, then you tell us how the Chinese cannot solve it by itself and requires Formosan to help.

Formosa is not the solution to China’s problem. It can help, but it is not a solution.[/quote]

True: Formosan cannot cure blindness, but can help blind man cross road.

Chen Guangcheng pretty much answered the question as to whether China would allow Taiwan to go it alone if China were a democracy: No.

I must admit I’ve never gotten the idea that a democratic China would be less likely to attack Taiwan. Would a democratic China be less nationalistic? Less expansionist? When you have a rabidly nationalistic population in a democratic country, wouldn’t the government be more likely to give the people what they want? Are democratic countries less likely to start wars? If history is any guide, this seems like a pretty big assumption to make.[/quote]
Democratic countries are less likely to attack other democratic countries tbqh.
By democratic, I mean truly democratic, not like some Russian or Ukrainian bullcrap. A France attacking Germany scenario is kinda hard to imagine nowadays, isn’t it?

Then I think Chen doesn’t really understand what a democracy is. If Taiwan held a legal referendum and chose to succeed, a democratic government would recognize it. The UK said it opposes Scottish independence, for example, but never said a referendum on independence would be invalid.

The better question is: Taiwan has been de facto independent for 65 years. Why should it need closer ties with China than it has with Japan? “Historical reasons” don’t fly – there must be a convincing argument, otherwise it’s like idly asking whether Cuba will join the US when communism there falls.

I must admit I’ve never gotten the idea that a democratic China would be less likely to attack Taiwan. Would a democratic China be less nationalistic? Less expansionist? When you have a rabidly nationalistic population in a democratic country, wouldn’t the government be more likely to give the people what they want? Are democratic countries less likely to start wars? If history is any guide, this seems like a pretty big assumption to make.[/quote]
Democratic countries are less likely to attack other democratic countries tbqh.
By democratic, I mean truly democratic, not like some Russian or Ukrainian bullcrap. A France attacking Germany scenario is kinda hard to imagine nowadays, isn’t it?[/quote]
Maybe, but would a newly democratic China see Taiwan simply as a “fellow democracy”? That seems pretty unlikely in any scenario I can imagine.