What if forumosa.com lets its domain name expire?

=============What would happen forumosa.com lets its domain name expire? We would all be up shit creek alley without a scooter!

=================The Washington Post E-mail system went dark in USA on Feb. 5 after the company let its domain name expire, a shocking mistake for the company that considers its Internet operation the best in the biz. In a memo to staffers, Managing Editor Steven Coll revealed that Network Solutions, which manages Internet addresses, “apparently notified the Post of the pending expiration via a drop-box that was not being monitored.”

=================Spokesman Eric Grant said once the company figured out the glitch, a call was made to Network Solutions to renew the domain and the system was slowly put back on line. It

Indeed: Record expires on March 04, 2004

Time to renew!

Yeah, don’t do what I did. I let one of mine lapse, and it turns out that even though there is a “45 day grace period”, what that actually means is that Network Solutions charges you US$150 to get it back and renew it.

Now I’m stuck for 60 days before I can transfer it to GoDaddy, where I will renew it for the maximum of eight more years for a mere US$64.

Actually the maximum com/net/org validity is 10 years, though if you are renewing the max is 9 or less because you still have some time left on the domain. I highly recommend renewing for several years in advance for important domains, because I’ve seen a lot of domains lapsing. Sometimes when they do they get snatched up by speculators before you have a chance to re-register. With domain registration so cheap, it is very good insurance.

Actually the maximum com/net/org validity is 10 years, though if you are renewing the max is 9 or less because you still have some time left on the domain. I highly recommend renewing for several years in advance for important domains, because I’ve seen a lot of domains lapsing. Sometimes when they do they get snatched up by speculators before you have a chance to re-register. With domain registration so cheap, it is very good insurance.[/quote]

'Xackly. But it’s eight years in this case, since the US$150 included one year (woohoo) of registration, and the transfer includes one year of registration. So then I can add eight more. No point in waiting a year, since there’s no price break unless you do a full ten – and there’s no way to do that, since if you do it on a renewal, even if it’s five minutes to midnight on the day the domain expires they tell you that they can’t do it (and if it’s five minutes after midnight, they demand additional fees due to the expiration).

Ah, crap. GoDaddy has upped their prices again – it’s now $9/year for a .net/.org. Still beats NetSol by about 70%, though.