What in your opinion are the 'good' jobs in Taiwan?

What would you say are th ‘good’ jobs in Taiwan, in your opinion. I’m talking here about English teaching jobs. :bow:

Good hours, high pay, good support, good materials, good benefits.

“good English teaching jobs” - “Taiwan” . . . is that an oxymoron?

I always wanted to drive a truck with ice cream music playing in the background… but those good jobs are too hard to obtain.

there was this massage place in Zhong Li once…

Seems to be the case. University jobs seem like they would be a great gig, but unfortunately they are only available to those with PhDs. Buxibans and most other jobs will try to work you like a slave for low wages and zero benefits.

An ideal job would be one that has block hours and only requires you to be in the school when you teach, yet also pays a regular salary that covers holidays, typhoon days, sick days and 1-4 weeks of personal vacation per year. Do such jobs exist outside of universities?

[quote=“barfomcgee”]
An ideal job would be one that has block hours and only requires you to be in the school when you teach, yet also pays a regular salary that covers holidays, typhoon days, sick days and 1-4 weeks of personal vacation per year. Do such jobs exist outside of universities?[/quote]

The international schools maybe? :idunno: That’s all I can think of.

Yes they do. I consider myself very lucky. Having a JFRV or any other open work rights visa will open many doors that otherwise would be locked tight and hidden away.

Sadly, marrying a Taiwanese woman seems to be the way to get ahead. The bottom line.

Or man.

Nope, not quite the same, in that I can count on the figers of one hand the amount of female teachers who are married to local men.

But they get the same JFRV perks as we menfolk, don’t they?

Yes, but not relevent. So you find this rare guy who actually marries a foreign English teacher (not talking about ‘courting’, or living with; actual ring on finger), does he pack in his career to do a low status wimmins job like administer/manage the family buxiban? Does he ****…

So the lassie gets a husband with his own career. Nice. Sounds even better than the deal we chaps get.

Well, sure. I’d pack it all in tomorrow to stay at home baking, etc. Marrying a Taiwanese guy is not going to advance your teaching career, nine times out of ten. Marrying a Taiwanese woman often will. You are ‘more stable’ and cheaper if you have a JFthingy. Heard it loads of times from male friends.

Wimmins are more likely to get the buxiban/kindy jobs, though. Ain’t moaning; I never didn’t get a job I interviewed for.

It’s hardly all sad.

It’s hardly all sad.[/quote]

Isn’t this thread about “good jobs in Taiwan”? Marrying a Taiwanese woman or not, there are simply no good jobs in Taiwan, unless you wanna go it alone and start your own thing.

It’s hardly all sad.[/quote]

Isn’t this thread about “good jobs in Taiwan”? Marrying a Taiwanese woman or not, there are simply no good jobs in Taiwan, unless you wanna go it alone and start your own thing.[/quote]We’ll have to agree to disagree about there being “no good jobs in Taiwan”. But it can be difficult to progress in an organisation from simply having a nice rewarding teaching job, to having a job where you manage and train other teachers. It does happen sometimes, but it’s not that common. I think that by far the most common thing that people do when they want to progress in their ELT careers here, is start some kind of business of their own. As you say, “go it alone and start your own thing”.

And that’s exactly what Buttercup was talking about. Her point was that if you want to get ahead by going it alone and starting your own thing, it’s much easier if you’re a foreign man married to a local woman. It’s an interesting point. I do know several couples in that situation who successfully run a school together. What do you think of Buttercup’s argument that a Taiwanese man would be much less likely to pitch in and help with a school run by his foreign wife?

Back in the day, there were a couple of famous examples: Jordan Language Schools and Hess. I believe that in both cases the schools were founded by American women and their Taiwanese husbands. The Taiwanese husbands were so involved in the businesses that they eventually forced their wives out and divorced them. I’m sure someone on these boards knows more or can correct the version I heard.

So would I, if my wife were independently wealthy. Not that many of those, however.

I guess I don’t understand the basis for this claim. I was stable and cheap before. Now I have a JFRV, and I’m stable and cheap now. :idunno: