What is a Taiwan gangster?

How do you tell a real gangster in Tawian from a wanna be…
I have always thought about this… cause when i am in a bar I have seen these young guys thinking they were …

Is it the beautiful girl hanging off some little guys arm… the BMW/…or the black suit and sunshades although it is pitch dark outside

Is it how much money you have… the level of violence you enjoy…or doyou need just to have a baseball bat and 12 friends that you can call on your mobile?

The election campaign, the villa in Beitou, the foreign passport, being named Luo Fu-zhu…you know, obvious gangster stuff.

Anyone in a ‘yao tou dian’ techno and drugs type nightclub who is over 40 is almost certainly a gangster.

holy crap, I’ve always wondered why I see middle aged fobs and their women dancing at massive raves in San Francisco and Los Angeles, they always gave off this weird spooky vibe, I now understand.

When a real gangster dies, senior government and city officials attend the funeral. :whistle:

Most of them tend to be around 5ft tall, fat, spectacled, still living with parents, need to be home before 11pm and unable to communicate in Mandarin. A bit like that Taiwanese rapper from Tainan-dinky dog or little dog or something like that (did a Taiwanese rap about foreigners and the local girls who chase them).

They tend to be very poor physical specimens, thus relying on numbers and baseball bats.

Here’s my advice to any other foreigners who go night clubbing, if one of these stubby specimens tries to start any trouble or nudges past you intentionally, then it may be better ignoring it… unless you have your whole posse with you - because you can bet he’ll have his with him. Friend of mine was with his Taiwanese lady friend in a nightclub, a little tubby Tai-ke pushed between them, my friend pulled him back and said (in Chinese) - don’t push girls… or something to that effect, the guy slinked off, 20 mins later he came up behind my friend (with his posse) and glassed him and his girl. My friend needed a lot of stitches, his head was gushing blood and his poor girlfriend needed stitches on her forhead.

I’ve heard of other similar stories.

Hey now… Not ‘anyone’.

the eye ball test is all you really need.

Gangsters look hard and don’t act goofy around foreigners.
Black Beamers.
Big watches.
Flip flops.
Swag.

Good looking out for the lady, but to be honest I’d have to say it’d be a case of huo gai.

Foreigner comes to your country and uses your language to tell you what to do, pretty dumb move on your friend’s part

[quote=“Dr Jellyfish”]Most of them tend to be around 5ft tall, fat, spectacled, still living with parents, need to be home before 11pm and unable to communicate in Mandarin. A bit like that Taiwanese rapper from Tainan-dinky dog or little dog or something like that (did a Taiwanese rap about foreigners and the local girls who chase them).

They tend to be very poor physical specimens, thus relying on numbers and baseball bats.

Here’s my advice to any other foreigners who go night clubbing, if one of these stubby specimens tries to start any trouble or nudges past you intentionally, then it may be better ignoring it… unless you have your whole posse with you - because you can bet he’ll have his with him. Friend of mine was with his Taiwanese lady friend in a nightclub, a little tubby Tai-ke pushed between them, my friend pulled him back and said (in Chinese) - don’t push girls… or something to that effect, the guy slinked off, 20 mins later he came up behind my friend (with his posse) and glassed him and his girl. My friend needed a lot of stitches, his head was gushing blood and his poor girlfriend needed stitches on her forhead.

I’ve heard of other similar stories.[/quote]

Well you would need a gang to be a gangster I guess

Nowadays you have got chavs, scumbags and skangers. And while these people do not drive Mercedes or the like, they afford any opportunity to prove themselves at the expense of their victim, using anything they can pickup or throw

Gangsters usually come loaded, with guns, and have created business for many the funeral home. But locally here they come loaded with a scooter posse who are just a phone call away.

Generally what ever they are, they derive pleasure from violence amongst themselves, are clannish, have no respect for the law, claim to be caused by the woes of society , sell/do drugs, racketeering etc

So difficult to pick out. Perhaps it would be easier to identify those who are not gangsters, and assume the rest are gangsters or something that you should not waste a second of your life on regardless of any provocation thrown your way.

Of course the problem is they do sometimes strike without you even looking there way.

I do not go to night clubs or bars, but the ‘gangsters’ I have met have been well-dressed, rather quiet types who wouldn’t be caught around such trash as I see described here.
I cannot imagine any of the types spoken about here “growing-up” to be ones such as I have met. I think there is some type of distinction not being considered.
Wannbes vs. OGs maybe.

I’m not a nightclubber, but oh how I miss the old Purple.

It is apparent that know what knows so far. There are a variety of gangsters at the low to mid level, and there are the mafia, of which there are a variety of types, and then there are the extreme upper crust of the gangster/mafiaoso.

[quote=“purerealm”]Good looking out for the lady, but to be honest I’d have to say it’d be a case of huo gai.

Foreigner comes to your country and uses your language to tell you what to do, pretty dumb move on your friend’s part

[quote=“Dr Jellyfish”]Most of them tend to be around 5ft tall, fat, spectacled, still living with parents, need to be home before 11pm and unable to communicate in Mandarin. A bit like that Taiwanese rapper from Tainan-dinky dog or little dog or something like that (did a Taiwanese rap about foreigners and the local girls who chase them).

I’ve heard of other similar stories.[/quote][/quote]

It’s a case of 活該 is it? That’s a bit harsh… lets hope you don’t find yourself in a similar situation… ever heard of karma?

If a foreigner came to my country and told me what to do in my language then I’d just congratulate them for being bothered to study.

[quote=“TainanCowboy”]I do not go to night clubs or bars, but the ‘gangsters’ I have met have been well-dressed, rather quiet types who wouldn’t be caught around such trash as I see described here.
I cannot imagine any of the types spoken about here “growing-up” to be ones such as I have met. I think there is some type of distinction not being considered.
Wannbes vs. OGs maybe.[/quote]
Indeed. The real ones can be sensed immediately by their demeanor, dress and bearing. The flash of the posers is merely the unstable overcompensation of those who are unsure of their position.

There are many types, just as there are in the U.S. The Freakonomics book has a pretty accurate rundown on why the vast majority of footsoldiers in the drug-dealing world make less than the hourly wage at McDonald’s with significantly more physical and legal risk (i.e., like hitting the jackpot or trying to get into the NBA, there are a lot of dreamers who hope someday of getting one of the few upper-level spots).

There’s the teen dropouts working for gangsters – they’re the orange-mouthed f*ckers with cheaply colored hair wearing night-market clothes and sharing a scooter ride to go take the blame when the police come. The guy mouthing off when the police aren’t looking, offering to take you to the alleyway to kill you? That’s him.

There’s the Tony Soprano wannabees – fat guys in track suits wearing bad shoes. They’re the ones standing around watching the police do whatever it was they were doing while the teen dropouts ride up to be arrested and say “they don’t know anything”. They sometimes have some really good cars.

And then there’s people who merely act thuggish – who call up their friends over minor perceived slights to assist in putting you into a hospital. These folks exist in many societies, but it’s hard to tell who they are because it’s been posited that penis size has a lot to do with it.

Always fun when the fake gangsters run into the real ones.