What is a tin?

I was reading a recipe and came across " add a tin of coconut milk." I can’t find what “a tin” means. What is the equivalent in CL or something of the sort.
Thank you.

In Chinese?

it’s equivalent to a “can”, which is a word often used in the colonies to refer to a “tin”… either way it’s not a specific quantity as far as I know, just a metal container, originally made of tin…

“A tin is a metal container which is filled with food and sealed in order to preserve the food for long periods of time.” (mainly BRIT) She popped out to buy a tin of soup.

Here you go.

So basically if the recipe asks to add a tin of coconut milk, it means a can of coconut milk, right?
Thanks again.

Unless you’ve bought the Blue Elephant brand of coconut milk (which is by far the best kind, btw), in which case, make sure you use a large tin and not a small tin.

Yes, that’s it. Happy cooking. If it involves a tin of coconut milk, it’s probably something good…

Thanks guys, this is what I am doing, I found the website in the food forum.
videojug.com/film/how-to-mak … kka-masala

great dish.
Thanks guys.

Tikka masala with … with … COCONUT MILK??? Blasphemy. Use unsweetened natural yoghurt or even sour cream.
OK, that’s a personal preference I admit, but get a bit of colour on that chicken before you add it to the onion/spice mix – that’s not personal preference. It’s basic technique.

good to know, thanks for the tip.

It’s not just for colour – by frying it fast over high heat you also seal it, which makes it juicier and nicer. Do it over high heat for not too long – you just want the outside to get a bit brown and golden. The inside gets cooked after you mix it with the veggies and spices. Do it first, put it on a plate and keep it to one side until you’re ready to add it to the sauce.

It was invented in Glasgow you know.

And tin cans have never be made out of tin. The name comes from tin plated steel. Now they are made from aluminium.

[quote=“Big Fluffy Matthew”]It was invented in Glasgow you know.

And tin cans have never be made out of tin. The name comes from tin plated steel. Now they are made from aluminium.[/quote]
True, but who’s going to go around saying: “Bloody hell! She’s got a face like an aluminium of smashed arseholes, eh?”

A standard tin of coconut cream or milk is one-third of a cubit tall, and the circumference of Sandman’s ankle. I hope this helps.

A “tin” is the same size of a can of corn from Costco. It’s a bit larger than a soup can. It’s also called a “303” tin. The next bigger that you see are the ones that are about 3 inches in diameter, are called 202 tins. (No! Sandman, I don’t suspect that you posses a “tin”.) The really big cans from Costco, like tomato sauce and are resteraunt size are a #10 tin and are about 8 inches in diameter. Now you know.
If the recipe calles for a tin of coconut milk, get the can that is slightly larger than a mushroom soup can or the same size as a household can of corn and use the whole thing.

Very scientific, Enigma, but if it’s a British recipe, we’d call them big tins or small tins. ‘Can’ is Yankish, although it’s used more and more here.

Well, Buttercup, that’s what they are called in “yank town”. Now we know what they are called in our “mother tongue” I didn’t hear anybody asking about a “big tin” or “small tin” but I stand humbly corrected and am currently devouring a “large tin” of humble pie. :notworthy:

Cans for beer. Tins for food. “Tin ae beans an’ 16 cans ae Tennents please, hen. Breakfast ae champions, likesay, eh?”

No literature with that? Record?

Ah yes but what if it isn’t a British recipe? If its a Jamaican cookbook you are following then a 'tin is whatever the coconut milk is being stored in for example it may well be a can, or a cup, or even a coconut. You could be storing your coconut milk in any’tin!

It clearly doesn’t matter as I’m allergic to coconuts and thus can’t eat what you are cooking regardless of how much you put in. Thoughtless of you really. :roflmao: