What is an "affair"?

The word “affair” (in this context) means a sexual or romantic relationship that does not or cannot last a long time, or that must be kept secret.
Is it same as Chinese"wai4 yu4"?

actually i think many people even use the word “affair” nowadays simply to mean a romantically involved , sexually oriented liaison between two people (could be any sex). and it doesnt even have to involve any cheating.
Is it moral?

[quote=“douseeme”]The word “affair” (in this context) means a sexual or romantic relationship that does not or cannot last a long time, or that must be kept secret.
Is it same as Chinese"wai4 yu4"?[/quote]

Honestly, don’t you read previous posts? Or only the last one? Previous post:

[quote=“Bismarck”]Sure, and when “affair” is preceded by the verb “have” I doubt the meaning would be anything other than the romantic kind (戀情 - lian4qing2). But then again, context is everything.

When placing “having an affair” in the search field of dictionary.com the following (all romantically slanted) is found: reference.com/search?q=%22ha … r=d&db=web

The dictionary entry for “affair” supports both usages (obviously…): dictionary.reference.com/browse/affair but to answer the OP’s question I find this definition of the romantic kind well put and to the point; an intense amorous relationship, usually of short duration.[/quote]

Once again:

Moving along then…

Here you can’t have a definitive answer, IMHO. What you call moral, and what I call moral may very well differ from what Osama Bin Laden calls moral. What is moral is a point of view.

[quote=“douseeme”]actually i think many people even use the word “affair” nowadays simply to mean a romantically involved , sexually oriented liaison between two people (could be any sex). and it doesnt even have to involve any cheating.
Is it moral?[/quote]
The word has a negative connotation. It is a euphemisms for a sexual relationship with a hint of deception involved.

[quote=“tommy525”]any sort of affair is costly in money at the very least

having an affair means having sex with someone who is not your boyfriend or girlfriend or husband or wife as the case may be

and 90pct of the time leads to trouble , the other ten percent haven’t been caught yet

and if you married the cheetah you cheated with? he/she is gonna cheat on you too !!![/quote]

If you’re married, illegally, to two people and have sex with them both, are you still “having an affair?”

If you’re in one of those weird relationships that is “open,” and you do it, are you having an affair?

Any thoughts?

In that case you are a sick person and ought to be severely spanked–I mean, punished.

“Your zipper is open, and your…affair is hanging out for all to see.”