What is child abuse?

My dad spanked me. My sis never spanks her kids. Spanking probably serves no real useful purpose. Spanking and pushing leaves in a childs mouth are as similar as apples and child abuse.

My point is more that would most parents be happy if teachers couldnā€™t be arsed dealing with their kids because they were not allowed to escalate punishment as far as parents did? How do you set up a dialogue- based system perhaps involving some sanctions or loss of priveleges if the kid sees that as only step one of the punishment scale? How do you teach that kid to deal with authority as a functioning adult? By hitting a kid, you are modelling an artificial social structure.

There is no constructive, responsible way to hit a child. What an absolutely inane statement.

1 Like

I disagree. I saw a mother slap a one-year-oldā€™s hand after he repeatedly tried to reach for the power socket. Iā€™m sure it didnā€™t hurt him but it certainly did spook him, which was for the best because the family had already tried basically every way of showing him you do not go near power outlets all to no avail. This is Taiwan weā€™re talking about, where cramped spaces make logic like ā€œjust donā€™t let the kid near outletsā€ impossible.

And yet, millions of people in cramped big city apartments in North America and Europe manage to keep their children away from outlets without beating them. :loco:

My dad hit me a few times as a kid, in anger rather than in calculation ā€“ and only when I was being a real little shit. Iā€™m not sure it was helpful but I donā€™t hold it against him.

My wife and I have both smacked our son on occasion. When he was very small (around the two year mark) he didnā€™t seem to understand disapproval or anger on our part, but he definitely understood a light smack on the bottom or the hand. Now heā€™s almost three and itā€™s been a long time since we needed to. I just do the ā€œokay weā€™re going homeā€ thing, and my wife has some horrific punishment involving standing on a piece of paper that Iā€™ve never witnessed and hope not to, but the mere mention of it will stop him in his tracks.

Iā€™m not sure that I have a point here except perhaps that (as with dogs!) being physical isnā€™t necessarily the same as being violent, and that the line between them is hard to define but pretty intuitive.

We humans use euphemisms to describe assaulting our children. No, we didnā€™t ā€œbeatā€ them, we ā€œspankedā€ them. No, we didnā€™t ā€œhitā€ them, we ā€œlightly slappedā€ them. But physically and physiologically, itā€™s all the same. The adult is causing force for the explicit purpose of inducing pain. The hand, or instrument (tree branch, wooden spoon, leather belt, etc.) is swung through the air and makes contact with the childā€™s person. The blunt force shatters capillaries underneath the childā€™s skin, nerves become inflamed, and pain signals are transmitted to the brain. Maybe this is done ā€œlightlyā€, maybe not, but itā€™s still the deliberate infliction of pain on a child. Itā€™s wrong, period.

1 Like

Hereā€™s one way to think about it. Imagine that a child grows up and becomes an adult. You then surrender all rights to inflict pain of any kind. If you grab your 18 year old daughter, yank her pants down and strike her bottom, then you have committed a battery. If you strike her hand, you have committed a battery. The law is clear; in the words of a Supreme Court justice, your right to swing your first ends at my nose. It doesnā€™t matter how ā€œlightlyā€ you strike an adult. It doesnā€™t matter if youā€™re angry, or if you ā€œjust trying to teach her a lessonā€, or if you ā€œhad no other choiceā€. Itā€™s a crime, plain and simple. And yet if you commit the same act of violence when the child is 17 or below, itā€™s considered perfectly legal. Utterly absurd.

Millions of human beings manage to raise perfectly functional adults without ever once striking them, not once. There is absolutely no reason under the sun to ever strike a child.

Many preschools in Taiwan spank rambunctious kids behind the curtains. The teachers will gladly explain to the parents that they will ā€œdisciplineā€ their children for them. Many Taiwanese parents and grandparents spank their kids in public also to show that they know how to teach their kidsā€¦

Multi millionaire athlete?
NFL MVP?
Respected by his peers?
Yea Iā€™d say heā€™s pretty successful in life.

Everyones saying how they wont inflict physical punishment but no one is giving an alternative.
What are you going to do? Ground them? Take away their iphone and internet? Take away their XBOX?
Yell at them? what if that induces mental problems down the line?

What is your alternative to physical punishment?

As an alternative to physical punishment: Treat children like the human beings they are and rationally explain to them what is right and what is wrong. Itā€™s how my parents brought me up since as far back as I can remember.

Itā€™s clear youā€™re an advocate of hitting children for discipline. What age do you feel is the appropriate cut-off?

Treat them as a human beingā€¦
But you still havenā€™t actually mentioned any form of punishment.

Okay, so what would you do if I (a human being) decided to spit in your motherā€™s face?
Iā€™d imagine you feeling angry enough to fight meā€¦
What are you going to do when you try to carry a normal conversation with the child explaining his wrongdoings, as you would a human being, and the child is just ignoring and sticking his fingers in his ear and going LALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALLALAL?

And youā€™re completely ignoring all the people (mostly parents) who have pointed out that punishment is almost never necessary. The single exception seems to be a clip round the ear that causes an immediate (reflexive) jump away from something imminently dangerous, and even then only when the kid is pre-verbal.

Yeah, kids do that, but there are other ways to get their attention except violence. Even if you canā€™t, they get the idea that youā€™re angry, and that matters. Also, remember youā€™re supposed to be the adult. Kids (in the long term) do copy your actions and attitudes. If you think youā€™re going to lose it, the best option is to walk away and leave him/her there doing his lalalalalala thing. Then deal with it later when youā€™re both in a better mood. Come to think of it, that works with adults too.

As Petrichor said, what kids want most in the world is parental approval. A smart parent can use that to his advantage.

Money and fame mean nothing if you go around attacking people to satisfy your own ego.

1 Like

The kidā€™s not doing that because heā€™s ā€˜badā€™, heā€™s trying out something he saw elsewhere. Heā€™s also probably tired and overstimulated. Deal with that first, and let him know that there will be a loss of something he holds dear if he behaves like that again. Let him know that people he loves donā€™t behave that way.

Slapping a child for exhibiting a negative behaviour is making a high cognitive demand: you want to model positive behaviours and develop positive attitudes, not simply scare them into not expressing negative attitudes in ways you find unacceptable. A slap just communicates ā€˜donā€™t get caught doing that againā€™, it doesnā€™t address the underlying cause of the behaviour.

Discipline also depends on th e childā€™s cognitive level. Expecting a toddler to empathise is not useful, but demanding it of an older child is reasonable.

The man punished his child.
Yes, he over did it, but I would hardly call that going around attacking people to satisfy his own egoā€¦
Its not like he mounted him and ground and pounded his sonā€™s face or knocked out his fiancee in an elevator.

um.

It sounds like that is, pretty much, what he did.

Lefty, are you just winding us up for amusement value, or do you genuinely believe what youā€™re writing here?

1 Like

ā€œA loss of something he holds dearā€
So basically you are saying you will take away his phone, his video games, his tv timeā€¦

No.