What is currently popular in Taiwanese youth culture?

Hello,

Despite flicking through a Chinese newspaper (自由时报)most days here in Taiwan, I am still finding it hard to relate to my junior high school students about current events.

What is currently popular for the young people of Taiwan?

Off the top of my head I can think of;

Protesting against that trade industry service agreement (or 反服贸 as everyone seems to be calling it)
Korean dramas (I don’t know which ones exactly)
Random Youtube video clips that I see trending on the Youtube TW homepage.

Is there anything else?

Thanks

LINE

I thought that Line was simply used for chatting with friends. Surely the youths must be chatting about something via Line?

Banana shaped toys and umbrellas
Banana pizza
Deer decorated toilet paper
Deer antlers cutouts for your monitor, to paste messages, hang pictures or earbud cords, etc

methamphetamine.

Yeah - probably all those characters from Line as seen in the new 7 - 11 promotions (taking over from Hello Kitty perhaps)? Smart phones in general - Android vs. iOS. Facebook…

But yellow bath ducks are sooo passé.

[quote=“Icon”]Banana shaped toys and umbrellas
Banana pizza[/quote]

Banana and chocolate pizza.

I don’t think sleeping ever went out of fashion, either.

Korean contestant programs like Running Man -bit less kooky than Japanese
Korean travel programs like Young Grandpa backpackers - blame this one for the influx of Korean tourists
Korean soap operas - Star kid the latest, the actor was recently in Taiwan
Alpargatas but made of leather or leather like stuff or denim ir bright plastic - most made in Korea but Taiwan us jumping on this wagon

Korean singers, Korean dancing, Korean actors - pictures available if you need them

Actually, the banana pizza has a cheese base… and sesame seeds in the middle, to make it look like a sunflower

You’ll probably have a hard time right now because the news singularly focuses on one thing: the protests.

Prior to that, people were really into the Malaysian Airlines thing and spouting off all kinds of nonsense stories.

I suggest ditching the Liberty Times and picking up Apple Daily. Much more juicy content and much more responsible political reporting (I know they seem contradictory, but Apple somehow pulls it off).

I don’t really get youngsters in Taiwan … heck I don’t get young Americans either. (no idea why people get so obsessed with American idol/the voice)

I don’t really read newspaper much but Apple Daily seems to be about the most politically neutral paper I can find here…

Well, most of the young “culture” nowadays is just rubbish. At least in the 70’s they had this great music bands, and in the 80’s we still knew what was to read a book (some of us, at least). In the 90’s it was all about videogames and commercial music, and what they consider music today is worse than listening to an agonizing cat.

Maybe some of them even watch nice TV series like Game of Thrones, but it’s mostly korean dramas and sh*t. Taiwanese TV has an astounding amount of crap, even more than european TVs (I’m not familiar with US TV aside from the TV series I follow, so I can’t judge).

[quote=“Blaquesmith”]Well, most of the young “culture” nowadays is just rubbish. At least in the 70’s they had this great music bands, and in the 80’s we still knew what was to read a book (some of us, at least). In the 90’s it was all about videogames and commercial music, and what they consider music today is worse than listening to an agonizing cat.

Maybe some of them even watch nice TV series like Game of Thrones, but it’s mostly Korean dramas and sh*t. Taiwanese TV has an astounding amount of crap, even more than european TVs (I’m not familiar with US TV aside from the TV series I follow, so I can’t judge).[/quote]

Agreed. I won’t listen to any music after 1990 -with very few exceptions. Today’s auto tune spouts…

Give me Mocedades! Pecos! Enrique y Ana! Hombres G! Mecano! Jose Luis Perales! Dyango! Raphael!

I don’t listen to Enrique y Ana since I was 5. I seldom listen to spanish music, except for El Reno Renardo, Extremoduro, Fito y los Fitipaldis, Peret, and some other (rather obscure) groups.

Rats! I was looking forward to shocking you! But at least, I know we belong to the same generation. :laughing:

To answer OP, I think the best way to go about this is identify a group of people that you like to hang out with and see what they are into.

Many Taiwanese youngens are into stuff like Japanese animation, Korean soaps, Korean entertainments and the likes. It only gets a bit more local if you want to find people into the music scenes. I have no idea what kind of music junior high school kids are into these days, but I think Mayday Rock is a iconic cross generation group worth listening to. If you are looking for more pop, then J.J. Lin (林俊傑), Yen-j (嚴爵) and the likes are popular these days.

I personally am into Cosmospeople (宇宙人), Waa (魏如萱) these days, they are a bit more jazzy. Then you can really go alternative and listen to some of the less mainstream rock bands or aboriginal bands/singers, Suming is a good place to start with those. Though most junior high kids can’t tell the difference between Amis Pangcah from Yami Tao…

Oh, and many Korean shows icon mentioned are pretty popular. I don’t know if junior high kids are into those though. I certainly enjoy watching runningman, Gary-Jihyo monday couple daebal!..

said every person over 30 ever.

said every person over 30 ever.[/quote]

Maybe. But when my grandparents said it, they were wrong. My father listened to the Beatles, the Rolling Stones, Creedence Clearwater Revival, The Monkees, Elvis Presley, Jimi Hendrix, and other awesome musicians.

Kids nowadays listen to Justin Bieber and Miley Cyrus.

I rest my case.

the difference is Beatles, Rolling Stones, et. al. started as garage bands and worked hard to become mainstream, whereas Bieber et. al were just manufactured by the music establishment.

As I said, I rest my case :slight_smile:

For every Justin Bieber there’s a Lady Gaga. You’re not making a fair comparison because you’re choosing the best of an era and putting it against the most bland. I’m not really a contemporary music person, so I don’t know who’s really legendary-status, but I promise you there are some good bands out there. When the current under-20 generation grows up, they’ll be saying the same things we’re saying now.