What is currently popular in Taiwanese youth culture?

OP is so adorable, oh my god :3
I am a young person studying here who is surrounded by Taiwanese people probably 90% of the time, my SO is Taiwanese too, so here are some things I can think of:

First of all, I would suggest you use traditional characters with Taiwanese people (自由時報、反服貿) since those are the characters they use. Most can read simplified but they might feel some apprehension about this, especially with the current wave of anti-China sentiment.

Taiwanese young people like a variety of things, just like young people anywhere. Korea seems to come up a lot in this thread but I think Japanese things (especially anime and manga) are popular too. Japan is almost universally liked, whereas Taiwanese have mixed feelings toward Korea, which is also viewed as a rival (see President Ma playing the “we must compete with Korea” card in a desperate ploy to get Taiwanese people behind the trade service agreement)
Cell phone games (especially that one where you move around gems), LINE characters, etc are popular now. The yellow rubber ducky is sooo 2013. Sports are popular everywhere. Hiking (the mild form, involving walking up paved cement staircases fitted to mountains) seems pretty popular. Of course Taiwanese people like to go to the night market and buy some sugary beverages and fried things and hang them off of a scooter or eat while walking (my least favorite part of Taiwan… eating while walking is so dangerous)

I made a playlist of Chinese music which I usually refill with whatever I hear around me. It is pretty mainstream so most of the music on here would be recognized/liked by average young people in Taiwan:
youtube.com/playlist?list=PL … jRgID_nOfo

But really, if you want to know what people like, just ask them. I know plenty of Taiwanese people (…OK, maybe hipsters), who reject almost all of the above listed things. A lot of Taiwanese young people are more thoughtful and articulate than young people I’ve met in certain other countries, and they can be very civic minded and opinionated.

[quote=“Blaquesmith”]Well, most of the young “culture” nowadays is just rubbish. At least in the 70’s they had this great music bands, and in the 80’s we still knew what was to read a book (some of us, at least). In the 90’s it was all about videogames and commercial music, and what they consider music today is worse than listening to an agonizing cat.

Maybe some of them even watch nice TV series like Game of Thrones, but it’s mostly Korean dramas and sh*t. Taiwanese TV has an astounding amount of crap, even more than european TVs (I’m not familiar with US TV aside from the TV series I follow, so I can’t judge).[/quote]

Although I like Game of Thrones, I’d be happy if Junior High students don’t watch it as it’s hardly suitable viewing for that age group. I know some of my 15 - 18 year old students watch The Walking Dead but doubt the younger ones do.

I’ve always found the battle with Junior High students is getting most of them to talk at all whether it’s something they’re interested in or not. They’re at an awkward age between being an adult and a child so confidence is often low. Computer games are popular as are cellphones. I find a lot of them don’t listen to music.

OP, I have no idea what people talk about on Line as I don’t use it or really know much more than you about it so I try to get my students to explain it to me.

I would echo the sentiment that teenagers are a pretty diverse bunch. They are interested in sex, learning how to flirt, mirroring their peers and thinking for the moment. And using technology in a way I find frightening. Taiwanese students can be highly motivated to study so one way to reach them is by setting an example of high standards. To reach teens I’d always try to stick with universal things like food, the importance of relaxing at home, being nice to your family, exercise, gender equality, helping others. Those sorts of things are more suitable, rather than playing basketball with them or finding out about some of the music they like. The problem with trying to find out exactly what they like is that they will start to see you as weird if you show interests in teen things. It also creates divides between students you do have a better understanding of (through these shared interests) and those you don’t. So, I find it better to reach them by being a good role model and someone they can rely on to ask questions about their work who will give correct responses. That’s just my opinion, mind you.

I had lots of trouble finding topics to tutor my boss daughter, not as much because she was 16/17 years old as much as the poor thing was so busy getting to college well, they have little to no time at all to do anything outside of school, homework. Boys? You kidding? Music? Aside from classical for piano tests, nope. LINE and technology? Maybe. Kids here have it tough.

That is a very diverse (in terms of era) list. Kudos if you found most of these songs on your own, otherwise the people who you share songs with are probably my age :stuck_out_tongue: (30ish)

Oops, I forgot to mention that there’s a good chunk of “old” music in the middle. That would be the SO(who is a young person, but just really likes old music)'s influence :b I think like 80% of the music in there is from the past 5 or so years though

[quote=“Matchstick_man”][quote=“Blaquesmith”]Well, most of the young “culture” nowadays is just rubbish. At least in the 70’s they had this great music bands, and in the 80’s we still knew what was to read a book (some of us, at least). In the 90’s it was all about videogames and commercial music, and what they consider music today is worse than listening to an agonizing cat.

Maybe some of them even watch nice TV series like Game of Thrones, but it’s mostly Korean dramas and sh*t. Taiwanese TV has an astounding amount of crap, even more than european TVs (I’m not familiar with US TV aside from the TV series I follow, so I can’t judge).[/quote]

Although I like Game of Thrones, I’d be happy if Junior High students don’t watch it as it’s hardly suitable viewing for that age group. I know some of my 15 - 18 year old students watch The Walking Dead but doubt the younger ones do.

I’ve always found the battle with Junior High students is getting most of them to talk at all whether it’s something they’re interested in or not. They’re at an awkward age between being an adult and a child so confidence is often low. Computer games are popular as are cellphones. I find a lot of them don’t listen to music.

OP, I have no idea what people talk about on Line as I don’t use it or really know much more than you about it so I try to get my students to explain it to me.[/quote]

I worry more by high school students being into hello kitty than them being into Game of Thrones or Walking Dead.

[quote=“hansioux”]
Oh, and many Korean shows icon mentioned are pretty popular. I don’t know if junior high kids are into those though. I certainly enjoy watching runningman, Gary-Jihyo monday couple daebal!..[/quote]

Running Man started airing on channel 78 with Chinese subtitles and I sometimes sit down and watch them. I have a little trouble keeping up with the subtitles, but I’ve watched the some of the episodes enough that I know what happens.

Unfortunately, I have grew out of Running Man, due to not enough time on my hands to sit down and watch a new episode every week. I still think the first two years of episodes was the best. Once it hit year 3, some things got repetitive, but still hilarious.

As for the music scene, no matter the age, there’s not many people that can’t say Mayday五月天, is great Taiwanese music. It also doesn’t hurt that lead singer 阿信 is an awesome person either. Ever read up on articles about him replying to fans on his FB page? They go something like:

(Male) Fan: Ah-hsin, I just made a bet with a friend that if you reply to this message, I’ll wear only a pair underwear and run around the school track with them on.
Ah-hsin: It seems like you should prepare that pair of underwear.

Chest bumping bus drivers?? :ponder:

Jeez I didn’t even know you had a daughter.

Glad to hear she’s boss, though.
Probably wicked awesome, too. :thumbsup:

Are they still wearing glasses with no lenses? Or is that too last decade?

More like last year!

This year I’ve noticed a +378962% in girls with red hair dye.

[quote=“ranlee”]Running Man started airing on channel 78 with Chinese subtitles and I sometimes sit down and watch them. I have a little trouble keeping up with the subtitles, but I’ve watched the some of the episodes enough that I know what happens.
[/quote]

The thing about Running Man is I have no clue who these young handsome fellows are, so I don’t care about who wins or who makes jokes at someone else’s expense. It’s the same reason Taiwanese variety shows bore me. A bunch of D-list celebrities who have less of a reason to be famous than Kim Kardashian. Yawn.

[quote=“Hokwongwei”]
The thing about Running Man is I have no clue who these young handsome fellows are, so I don’t care about who wins or who makes jokes at someone else’s expense. It’s the same reason Taiwanese variety shows bore me. A bunch of D-list celebrities who have less of a reason to be famous than Kim Kardashian. Yawn.[/quote]

Guests of Running Man are often A-list Korean celebrities.

It’s definitely a character show though, you have to like the characters to enjoy it.

[quote=“hansioux”][quote=“Hokwongwei”]
The thing about Running Man is I have no clue who these young handsome fellows are, so I don’t care about who wins or who makes jokes at someone else’s expense. It’s the same reason Taiwanese variety shows bore me. A bunch of D-list celebrities who have less of a reason to be famous than Kim Kardashian. Yawn.[/quote]

Guests of Running Man are often A-list Korean celebrities.

It’s definitely a character show though, you have to like the characters to enjoy it.[/quote]

Agreed, if you don’t know who the people are, let alone derive who’s a guest and who’s a member, the show doesn’t have that great of an entertaining value.

hansioux, I still have to say from all the episodes I’ve watched, the first episode Park Ji-Sung was guest is my top favorites.

As well as an early episode that…after I think about it, would take way too long to explain. Super fast synopsis (that may explain what happens in every other episode) Grasshopper lies to Gary to go buy soup ingredients, ends up that’s not the mission, Gary gets yelled at by Tiger. Grasshopper triumphs! XDD

[quote=“ranlee”]

hansioux, I still have to say from all the episodes I’ve watched, the first episode Park Ji-Sung was guest is my top favorites.

As well as an early episode that…after I think about it, would take way too long to explain. Super fast synopsis (that may explain what happens in every other episode) Grasshopper lies to Gary to go buy soup ingredients, ends up that’s not the mission, Gary gets yelled at by Tiger. Grasshopper triumphs! XDD[/quote]

that first soccer episode was definitely memorable. As a baseball fan I also found the first superpower baseball episode with Ryu Hyun-jin and Choo Shin-Soo to be extremely entertaining.

I love any episode where grasshopper triumphs over tiger :stuck_out_tongue:

that episode where Giraffe picked the only raw egg to smash on his forehead, and was the first to choose in the next round and immediately picked the only raw egg again, that one was classic…

I don’t really do Korean media stuff. I watched a drama series or two and wanted my time back. Really vapid, surface-level garbage. (At least the production quality is really high, though.)

I feel the same way about K-pop and a lot of Chinese pop. And Western pop, now that I think of it. I guess I’m just a cynical counter-culture type of guy. :-/

[quote=“hansioux”][quote=“ranlee”]

As well as an early episode that…after I think about it, would take way too long to explain. Super fast synopsis (that may explain what happens in every other episode) Grasshopper lies to Gary to go buy soup ingredients, ends up that’s not the mission, Gary gets yelled at by Tiger. Grasshopper triumphs! XDD[/quote]

that first soccer episode was definitely memorable. As a baseball fan I also found the first superpower baseball episode with Ryu Hyun-jin and Choo Shin-Soo to be extremely entertaining.

I love any episode where grasshopper triumphs over tiger :stuck_out_tongue:

that episode where Giraffe picked the only raw egg to smash on his forehead, and was the first to choose in the next round and immediately picked the only raw egg again, that one was classic…[/quote]

Speaking super powers. The first super power episode was a classic as well.

Also, any episode where Giraffe thinks he wins, but ends up losing is an instant classic.

[quote=“Hokwongwei”]I don’t really do Korean media stuff. I watched a drama series or two and wanted my time back. Really vapid, surface-level garbage. (At least the production quality is really high, though.)

I feel the same way about K-pop and a lot of Chinese pop. And Western pop, now that I think of it. I guess I’m just a cynical counter-culture type of guy. :-/[/quote]

Usually I start watching a Korean media because I want to have a topic to talk about with some girl I am trying to impress… :wink:

Although it hasn’t worked out too well…

Now I am just really impressed with the production value of Korean historical drama and variety shows. TV stations in China are cooperating with Korean TV stations to replicate famous shows like “Where are we going, dad?” and “Grandpa over flowers.” Drama like Empress Ki amazed me with the level of research and work they are willing to go into to make it all seem authentic. Although it’s not 100% there, but it’s a darn good job.

Denim overall shorts, if that makes any sense. Gods knows why one would wear denim in the heat. Next summer: duffel coats!

I do like denim shorts… I mean obviously pants are only suitable in the winter but comfort is a key thing for me.

Reason I like denim short is because I can’t stand thin pants/shorts. They get too clingy in the heat and really don’t dissipate heat any better than heavier pants/shorts.