What is ethnicity?

Far less than 50% of schoolchildren in London and Birmingham are now ethnically English.

1 Like

English is an ethnicity is it?

3 Likes

Calling it a culture may be a little far-fetched. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

It’s a diabolical fucking liberty is what it is guvnor…

1 Like

Err. . . yes.

Bizarre that anyone would question such an obvious fact.

But how… its so expensive to live in London that people are commuting from Barcelona.

Don’t think you understand what ethnicity means…

English people are a mix of ethnicities. There is no English race per se.

I understand perfectly well what ethnicity means.

Is there also no Irish ethnicity?

white british… whats the problem with that.

1 Like

It would be Celtic but that would not equal Irish. I doubt anyone is a pure Ancient Briton without other blood such as Norman mixed in…We would need an anthropologist to answer this.

Yeah I was wr-wrong on that. Seems definition of ethnicity has changed and English as an ethnicity just means white British. But the basic ethnicity of English is Anglo Saxon. The ancient britons were long ago absorbed.

1 Like

An interesting link on the genetic breakdown of rural communities in the UK
https://www.abroadintheyard.com/maps-britain-ireland-ancient-tribes-kingdoms-dna/

Isn’t there a clear distinction (historically, at least) between the (south of the Wall) Anglos and the Nordic/Celts of Scotland and (again, historical) Ireland???

Feel free to call it what you like. Meanwhile, plenty of others (e.g. the Irish and UK governments) call it Irish.

I’m not sure why there is such squeamishness around the topic of ethnicity.

1 Like

No because Welsh, Cornish and Manx are also Celtic peoples. Also let’s not forget the Vikings who did so much fucking in, ah, Newcastle, that they changed the bloodlines for ever.

1 Like

Sorry, I didn’t mean only in Scotland and Ireland, I just meant there are genetic markers differentiating them from the actual English.
And yeah, hence the Nordic/Celt designation.

Irish is a nationality. What do you call a Nigerian with an Irish passport ?

There are ethnic Irish markers or subgroups of people with ancestry in Ireland. Of course there is Irish ethnicity . We are a small island in the Atlantic with people living there for thousands of years.

WTF is actual English genetically ? Which markers do you have the map. I know markers in junk DNA that can separate Africans , Asians and Europeans but “English” please show.

So what do you call a Nigerian with an Irish passport?