What is Facebook for?

I’d like the opinion of other Forumosans on this. My husband was absolutely horrified when I opened a Facebook account, and it has been a source of arguments ever since. He’s Nigerian, I’m Canadian.
I didn’t understand why he was upset at first, but then I realized that amongst his friends Facebook is only seen as a way to pick up women. If any of them are on Facebook, they are assumed to be engaging in sex chat or looking for a sex partner.
OK, but in my opinion, Facebook is just a way to keep in contact with friends and acquaintances. It could be used for sexual purposes, but not necessarily.
Am I naive? (OK, yes, but in this regard?) Do most people assume Facebook use is somehow disreputable? Or do most people use it just to keep in contact with friends and acquaintances?

Uh, no. I’ve never once gotten laid because of facebook, that is what bars are for.

I use facebook to keep in contact with my friends from around country. Hitting on girls on facebook is pretty lame, for dudes with no game, at least, that is how I think of it.

Just show him that you are setting your relationship status to “married”.

Facebook is for publishing information about yourself that will later cause you to be humiliated, fired, and/or arrested.

1 Like

It’s a way for me to share various crap with friends around the world. I was married before I got a FB account so never thought about using it to pick up women.

I’d seen somewhere that social networking sites, particularly Facebook, have been cited in over 3/4 of divorce cases in the US. (Sorry, don’t have the reference.)

What’s Facebook?

1 Like

Even in our backwater, limited Internet service, developing taliban-Catholic and megatestorone chavinistic country, Facebook has been used for many things, mainly boasting about what you do and what you know, getting political and social messages accross, flirting and showing off your late nite catches, but rarely I’ve heard of anyone actually using it for catching anything but a computer virus. Sexi pics and such are usually restricted/forbidden in Facebook. And it leaves too much of a trail.

Seems to me the cultural divide between you and hubby, 888, shows its ugly face again.

[quote=“bababa”]I’d like the opinion of other Forumosans on this. My husband was absolutely horrified when I opened a Facebook account, and it has been a source of arguments ever since. He’s Nigerian, I’m Canadian.
I didn’t understand why he was upset at first, but then I realized that amongst his friends Facebook is only seen as a way to pick up women. If any of them are on Facebook, they are assumed to be engaging in sex chat or looking for a sex partner.
OK, but in my opinion, Facebook is just a way to keep in contact with friends and acquaintances. It could be used for sexual purposes, but not necessarily.
Am I naive? (OK, yes, but in this regard?) Do most people assume Facebook use is somehow disreputable? Or do most people use it just to keep in contact with friends and acquaintances?[/quote]
FB is not so good on privacy. And opening an FB account with no matter what privacy controls, quite a few people end up seeing your pics and posts. That too worries a lot of people.

FB is there (for many) to give daily updates on their private and other live … chatting, chitting and knitting … for everyone in their circle to see …

For me, Facebook is mainly a journal and a way to keep in touch with people I don’t normally see in everyday life. I’ve gotten to know many good people through Facebook, and reconnected with many old friends. My mom and many relatives back in the USA know about us and we about them thanks to Facebook.

Most of what I’ve seen about privacy concerns is just rumor and distortion. I think the benefits far outweigh the risks.

I use it a lot because it allows me to connect with people I like. Once you have the settings sussed you can hide all the inane people, and all of the games, and you can select who you want to share stuff with (although Google+ with its circles is much better in this regard). Most of my friends and family are on facebook.

A friend of mine who is a baritone posts beautiful classical music. Another friend posts fashion shoot like pics of her gorgeous friends. Yesterday my mother posted a picture of a Claret Ash that my grandpa planted many years before I was born; as kids we used to climb it and I’m sure my initials are engraved somewhere high in its branches. I can connect, in real time if I want, with friends and family in South Australia, Tasmania, Queensland, Singapore, Norway, England, Washington, Canada and Yonghe, all while sitting alone in Salt Peanuts Cafe in Shida. :smiley:

And yes, it is very, very good for flirting. “Do you have facebook?” Yes. Of course. Later that night: antarcticbeech is available to chat. :discodance:

I know a couple of old Luddites who simply don’t get it: seeing someone engrossed in their computer or iPhone, in public, as behaving antisocially. But seriously, fuck off. I’m not “engrossed in my computer”. I’m connecting with my girlfriend, or friend, or uncle, or I’m chasing a beautiful girl and not remotely interested in talking to you. :raspberry:

I’ll happily jump ship though, when something better comes along.

He’s pissed that you’re on FB, yet you’re too scared to mention to him your distaste of his use of prostitutes? Downright strange!

Maybe he’s scared you’re going to discover he’s on FB :ponder:

It is definitely strange that a Western girl would ask what facebook is for.

Facebook is so you can tell low level acquaintances you’re making a sandwich or why your god so great. I finally pulled the plug when a “friends” photo appeared showing him taking a picture of other people taking a picture of food. Vacuous and/or narcissistic bs to the max.

didn’t you just answer your own question? he’s a nigerian man and his crews uses FB to pick-up and you’re a canadian woman. nuff said.

The way FB is used does to some extent depend on the country, it’s culture and trends. I find it bizarre that people would use FB for pick-ups, that more than half of their ‘friends’ would be people they don’t know IRL or that they wouldn’t use their own name on it. But people do, and it’s normal for them, and it’s all good, as long as no-one’s getting hurt.

This thread interested me because earlier today a friend told me for the 100th time that I should change my profile pic (I think I’ve had it for years). Her reasoning had always been “How do you expect men to pick you up when you’re monkeying around!”. Today she just called it ugly :slight_smile:. I always thought she was just kidding about the picking up part, but now I have to check with her.

I think your husband just needs to realize that the way FB is used in Nigeria is not the norm for everyone else.

FB is great for many reasons. But I also admire people who have resisted the pressure to be on Facebook. I don’t mean the ones who wear it like a badge “I’m cool because I’ve never heard of Facebook.” Or the ones who can’t be open about who they are, a FB account wouldn’t work for them. I mean the ones who are genuinely, unpretentiously not on it. Maybe I just envy them because they seem to have less clutter in their lives, or don’t succumb to trends. Although that mere fact is not enough to draw those conclusions, I know.
I couldn’t be that person though, because staying in touch with many important people around the world would be too big of a loss for me, like for so many here.

So, now he’s got us all, right? Like lamb to the slaughter. Whatever he wants to do with us.

I LOVE that FB profile pic! I used Photoshop to graft it onto a naked full-body shot of Irishstu which is now on my bedroom wall. Life size!

Which part of the Celtic God’s body was that? Just for, you know, sake of accuracy in posting and everything…

Can you send me a copy?