What is holding up Taiwan becoming a real developed country?

I think they already left.

Hi Mr.Lin! The question is: why? Why do you want to get out of Taiwan so badly?

For me it’s sucky environments and no labor rights and no pay. Otherwise I think a lot of what people think about Taiwan is more of a grass is always greener on the other side

Hi Mr.Lin! The question is: why? Why do you want to get out of Taiwan so badly?[/quote]

taiwanese have an inferiority complex and due to their political situation lack a sense of nationalism. they just dont think their country measures up to other countries even tho they are better in some aspects.

There’s nothing wrong with some people choosing to go abroad, especially as whatever the local higher education sector has to offer is not particularly compelling. It’s good they get hold of such an opportunity, and they pursue it. Some of them will be back, even if they don’t realize it yet; like 張忠謀, the founder of Xinzhu Science Park. Would he have founded it had he been Shida-, and not Stanford-educated? Even if there are few people like him, at the very least it makes Taiwan less parochial, which is actually part of the solution and not of the problem.

But on the other hand a system should be set up to encourage other talented people to come here. So far the attempts at this have been borderline ridiculous. This is where the real issue is: not that some of the local talent is moving overseas (which is generally beneficial and in any case inevitable) but that next to no foreign talent is attracted to come here.

Best students, probably; best teachers/professors, not really.
Those professors could’ve stayed in the countries where they got their degrees, ya know. They didn’t, so there must have been something that drove them home.

Hi Mr.Lin! The question is: why? Why do you want to get out of Taiwan so badly?[/quote]
taiwanese have an inferiority complex and due to their political situation lack a sense of nationalism. they just dont think their country measures up to other countries even tho they are better in some aspects.[/quote]

The primary reasons are more about Economic reasons and Political reasons.
Social reasons and many other factors are the secondary reasons.
The inferiority complex is not a cause, but a consequence of the above factors being mixed together.

There’s nothing wrong with some people choosing to go abroad, especially as whatever the local higher education sector has to offer is not particularly compelling. It’s good they get hold of such an opportunity, and they pursue it. Some of them will be back, even if they don’t realize it yet; like 張忠謀, the founder of Xinzhu Science Park. Would he have founded it had he been Shida-, and not Stanford-educated? Even if there are few people like him, at the very least it makes Taiwan less parochial, which is actually part of the solution and not of the problem.
But on the other hand a system should be set up to encourage other talented people to come here. So far the attempts at this have been borderline ridiculous. This is where the real issue is: not that some of the local talent is moving overseas (which is generally beneficial and in any case inevitable) but that next to no foreign talent is attracted to come here.[/quote]

The saying “來來來,來台大,去去去,去美國” in my parents’ generation explains it all.
It was a complicated phenomenon caused by history, politics, and many other factors back then. In fact, the phenomenon still influences this/my generation significantly, and I think it won’t stop until the next few decades.

Those professors could’ve stayed in the countries where they got their degrees, ya know. They didn’t, so there must have been something that drove them home.[/quote]

Yes, I think you’re right. Not every one of them are non-returning,but the non-returning proportion are getting higher and higher.
In India, they even have a term for people of this kind, which is 'NRI’s, Non-Returning-Indians.
It’s very likely that a lot of people of this young generation, including myself, are going to be 'NRT’s, Non-Returning-Taiwanese.

instead of trying to improve the situation in their own country, they’d rather leave for what they think is a better country. they buy nice houses in some of the best beautiful wealthiest towns here in america and other countries instead of trying to create beautiful towns and houses in taiwan. they’d rather buy or copy and mimic other countries’ culture like western and japanese like hello kitty, iphones, european architecture, korean tv shows and girl/boy bands etc. instead of creating something that’s uniquely and originally their own. i guess all those centuries of being colonized by china, japan, portuguese didnt help. taiwanese dont know what they are and dont know what they want to be. they’re just happy being followers of foreigners. they dont want to break the mold and create their own; they want to continue using it.

taiwanese have an inferiority complex and due to their political situation lack a sense of nationalism. they just dont think their country measures up to other countries even tho they are better in some aspects.[/quote]

The primary reasons are more about Economic reasons and Political reasons.
Social reasons and many other factors are the secondary reasons.
The inferiority complex is not a cause, but a consequence of the above factors being mixed together.

But on the other hand a system should be set up to encourage other talented people to come here. So far the attempts at this have been borderline ridiculous. This is where the real issue is: not that some of the local talent is moving overseas (which is generally beneficial and in any case inevitable) but that next to no foreign talent is attracted to come here.[/quote]

The saying “來來來,來台大,去去去,去美國” in my parents’ generation explains it all.
It was a complicated phenomenon caused by history, politics, and many other factors back then. In fact, the phenomenon still influences this/my generation significantly, and I think it won’t stop until the next few decades.

Those professors could’ve stayed in the countries where they got their degrees, ya know. They didn’t, so there must have been something that drove them home.[/quote]

Yes, I think you’re right. Not every one of them are non-returning,but the non-returning proportion are getting higher and higher.
In India, they even have a term for people of this kind, which is 'NRI’s, Non-Returning-Indians.
It’s very likely that a lot of people of this young generation, including myself, are going to be 'NRT’s, Non-Returning-Taiwanese.[/quote]

I agree with a lot of what you said. I do think Taiwan really needs some of these people to come back and get some investment, at the same time, they can’t if the pay and conditions are too shit here and education system is poor. This year they cut the summer vacation for kids from 4 to 3 weeks. They often run classes during summer vacation. Race to the bottom. I had two to three months summer break when in school. I don’t think large amounts of Taiwanese will ever come back from the US, but they may come back from China more.

BTW, NRI means ‘non resident Indian’ I believe.

This happens everywhere, not just in Taiwan. A lot of Germans want to immigrate to America too.

What’s holding up Taiwan?

Primitive banking laws, for one thing.

Another: poor marketing of international business. Got a business that aspires to go international? Get an effin’ WEBSITE, put energy into it to make it professional, put useful information on it, and make sure the English is of native quality.

This is really harsh but, I think, pretty on-target. Sometimes the truth hurts.

As a Taiwanese, I am not able to deny what you said above.
Your remarks seem to be a bit bold and ruthless, but you just hit the nail on the head right away.
It’s true that Taiwanese people do got some kind of serious identity crisis, inferiority complex, and many other weird issues.
It’s also true that Taiwanese people don’t know who/what we are and don’t know who/what we wanna be, and we never try to figure that out. We are always following and mimicking other superpowers, and then dream of being a part of them/being just like them one day.

Yeah, it’s time for Taiwanese people to break the old molds and old patterns we have been used, followed, and mimicked for decades, and try to create a path of our own. It takes time, though.

It’s the expat delusion. ‘My country is shit. Obviously it wasn’t US that made it shit, it was someone else. It’s a good idea for a bunch of us to go somewhere else. That place will not be shit. It will be amazing because we are amazing and there aren’t the shitheads from our country there.’

Cue: culture shock meltdown.

Taiwanese just seems to give up really easily. Taiwan still has potential and could even potentially stave off unification, but its too hard, takes too much effort, better to be practical, look after yourself…etc.

People hate Koreans, but those Kimchi boys sure have some pep in their step.

[quote=“Ermintrude”]It’s the expat delusion. ‘My country is shit. Obviously it wasn’t US that made it shit, it was someone else. It’s a good idea for a bunch of us to go somewhere else. That place will not be shit. It will be amazing because we are amazing and there aren’t the shitheads from our country there.’

Cue: culture shock meltdown.[/quote]

Unfortunately the industrial model of Taiwan meant that the polluters could leave their shit behind while taking their money with them.

I picked up that term from Bollywood movie ‘Swades’, starring Shah Rukh Khan.
It means ‘Non-Returning-Indian’ in the movie. :ponder:

NRI - en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-reside … ian_origin

If you visit India they have some special visa rules for NRI Indians, also give them the vote etc.

[quote=“headhonchoII”]NRI - en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-reside … ian_origin

If you visit India they have some special visa rules for NRI Indians, also give them the vote etc.[/quote]

Okay, thanks for your clarification. Really informative.

Yeah, I think I just misunderstood the sarcasm in the movie.
If my memory serves me right, in the movie, Shah Rukh Khan was an Indian American(an American citizen whose ancestors were from the Republic of India). When He went back to the Republic of India, he was called ‘NRI’ by the locals.
Shah Rukh Khan then asked Gayatri Joshi(the starring actress) what ‘NRI’ meant, and Gayatri Joshi just deliberately express it as ‘Non-Returning-Indian’ in sarcasm.

You mean Shak Rukh was a native American?

Maybe some peace pipes might work…